Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many different looking coins are now circulating in the US

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
Given all the state etc quarters and small dollars. Anyone care to calculate the answer?

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question. I'll quickly guess, considering all old coinage too, 50! I averaged about 4 in every denomination.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even going to try.... SHQ's, Parks, Lincolns, nickels...... heck, only the dime is staying consistent right now...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the Canadian coins that are circulating here too!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at least 85

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    rough numbers:
    1 50 cents
    65 quarters
    1 dime
    3 nickels
    7 pennies
    2 dollars

79 coins
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>rough numbers:
    1 50 cents
    65 quarters
    1 dime
    3 nickels
    7 pennies
    2 dollars

79 coins >>

I think your quarters number is too low.

"regular" Washington Quarter
    Bicentenial Quarter
    55 state/territory quarters
    20 (4 years) ATB quarters (actually, I'm not sure if all of the 2013's have actually been released yet)

So maybe more like 77 quarters?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good question. I'll quickly guess, considering all old coinage too, 50! I averaged about 4 in every denomination. >>

50 would cover the statehood quarters alone. Add 7 for the territories and all the ATB quarters and all the various designs in the other denominations you're talking close to double that amount.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    US Coins: ~128

Cents: 6 (Memorial, 2009x4, Shield)
    Nickels: 6 (Classic, 2004x2, 2005x2, Current)
    Dimes: 1
    Quarters: 77 (Classic, Bicent, Statesx50, Terrotoriesx6, ATBx19)
    Halves: 2 (Classic, Bicent)
    Dollars: 36 (Eisenhower, Bicent, SBA, Presidentsx27, Sacagawea&Native Americanx6)

You could subtract dollars which were only available from the mint and add in wheats, buffalos, etc.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Good question. I'll quickly guess, considering all old coinage too, 50! I averaged about 4 in every denomination. >>

50 would cover the statehood quarters alone. Add 7 for the territories and all the ATB quarters and all the various designs in the other denominations you're talking close to double that amount. >>

image Different is the key word! Yes,your right! What was I thinking? I'll change my answer to 150. ( Sorry,only one answer to an contestant.)image

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>US Coins: ~128

Dollars: 36 (Eisenhower, Bicent, SBA, Presidentsx27, Sacagawea&Native Americanx6)

You could subtract dollars which were only available from the mint and add in wheats, buffalos, etc. >>

This looks pretty good to me...nicely done.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the odd Bahamas, Bermuda and even British coins - I find them frequently enough that I have accumulations of all of them from circulation.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would think it was closer to 128 as well.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    128. WOW. Just think about all the dates and mintmarks involved and simply putting together a set of all circulating current coins would be a Herculean, though inexpensive, collecting task.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend run's a CiCi's pizza. With all the state / NP, etc quarters now, his cashiers really do not have any idea what a quarter is supposed to look like on the back side. When someone pays for their meal in quarters, and has stacks of them on the counter, and there is a long line of people waiting to pay, a lot of other stuff is getting through. French Francs are common, German Marks, Italian Lira, and then the British Caribbean coins.

The sorter kicks them all out, and he is stuck with a revenue loss.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just one. Susan B Anthony. How different do you want ?
  • Options
    Wait a minute. I just thought, if your talking "different", then,all Proofs,all,d minted,all p minted,all s minted,all business strikes,all satin finish... All these would have to come into play! WoW! Then were talking probably around 400-500 different U.S. coins in circulation today.WoW! Am I right?image

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wait a minute. I just thought, if your talking "different", then,all Proofs,all,d minted,all p minted,all s minted,all business strikes,all satin finish... All these would have to come into play! WoW! Then were talking probably around 400-500 different U.S. coins in circulation today.WoW! Am I right?image >>

A lot more than that.

Throw in the varieties and there are even more.

Back in the mid-'60's it was only five new coins a year. It seemed it would take forever before there was any variety in circulation.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>US Coins: ~128

You could subtract dollars which were only available from the mint and add in wheats, buffalos, etc. >>

I agree with everything except the Ike and the Bicent Ike. The large dollars do not circulate any more. I give them out as tip money, but you cannot order them from a bank. You can order small dollars.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    It SEEMS like this would be good for beginners but I just don't know. Maybe it's too overwhelming. I think if I was a kid just starting out it would be fun just looking for all the different state quarters. They will never be worth much but neither are most of the wheaties I saved 45 years ago.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Makes me appreciate the dimes!

I don't think we can count most of the dollars. just the
    Sacs and Susans. If you can take a $1 bill to the bank
    and get a $1 coin, I will count it.

Has anyone gotten a President coin in change? Or, an Ike?

Since the OP did not restrict the count to US coins, there are
    certainly Canadian, Bahama, UK, etc coins circulating.
    I was at a car wash in Rochester one time and when I got
    50c in change I got 2 Canadian Quarters. I did not accept them.
  • Options
    Well,Ambro51,do you have an answer for us?image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file