Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Total population of 750, PCGS population of 319 (Edit: 1900-S $10)

RYKRYK Posts: 35,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
How long should it take me to locate one in any grade (slabbed or raw)?

So far, I have searched every possible numismatic source that is accessible online and have not found one.

Mintage is 81,000, but I feel that the pop numbers and estimates are more telling.

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    What's the mintage?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you looking for? I may have it on my desk.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on what I collect, it shouldn't take you too long to locate one. However, what I collect is not in high demand which is a huge factor. How high is the demand for this mystery coin?
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did someone add pop figures for colorized Eagles?

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how many of the 750 are real coins and how many are just resubmissions.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Depends on how many of the 750 are real coins and how many are just resubmissions. >>

The 750 is the estimated survival population. The PCGS total population is 319. It is not a sexy or high-profile date or coin. There may be, at most, 40-50 people who collect these by date.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is not a sexy or high-profile date or coin. >>

By saying that I now would bet that it will take a lot longer than if it was a "hot item". They are all just slumbering away, and there is no real motivation to for holders to sell or dealers to carry them.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some subclass of Classic Head gold?image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a Red Book or some other subgroup variety? May be where the 319 went.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Father Time will eventually bring all these coins to market. Just keep looking. Befriend collectors who own two. Someday they may feel sorry for you and trade or offer their dupe to you.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I initially thought you might be looking for a 1861s Paquet Double Eagle though I see there were 19,250 minted per Coin Facts. However, its estimated survival rate is much less at 267. PCGS total (likely including resubmissions) is only 67. (NGC au58 auction price was $184,000.) I would have had one (not an AU58 grade unfortunately) if that was what you were looking to acquire. That is interesting that the coin you are looking for with a much higher mintage, survival rate, and PCGS count is not to be found anywhere. Have you had any responses from contacting anyone with a registry set containing one that they could give you a lead as to where they got theirs or might even by looking to downsize?
  • Options
    Sure, they will turn up.

Heritage sold nine, six, and two (!) in 2010, 2011, and 2012, respectively.

Up until recently, I considered this to be a generic gold coin.

I am going to the SLNA show this afternoon. Maybe I will find one there. image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 2009 UHR?

UHOO UHR WHERERYU?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1900-S Eagle?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1900-S Eagle? >>

Or wunna those others on the BST!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if you couldn't find one within 24 hrs. 81,000 minted and pops in the hundreds should be fairly available for a 19th century coin.
    But they are spread out around the country among every state.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's face it, those 1905 Morgans are scarce!! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>1900-S Eagle? >>

Yes, the 1900-S Eagle
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The PCGS total population is 319. It is not a sexy or high-profile date or coin. There may be, at most, 40-50 people who collect these by date.

RYK, I've analyzed this problem and have determined the most likely place for you to locate the coin you seek is to buy one from an extant collection. Based on the information you provided, each collector owns 7. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like someone is putting together a set of 20th century Liberty gold coins.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I found one! Details to follow... (sorry, Realone, this might take a couple weeks image )
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question becomes : Do we love strong hands when seeking out coins ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you had told us what it is some of us might have been able to have related to you something about the rarity and availability.

I've seen a few of the survival estimates in Coin Facts that I thought were inaccurate.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "How long should it take me to locate one in any grade (slabbed or raw)? "

2 weeks. What did I win ? image
  • Options
    Well, one finally popped up on EBay yesterday. It was the first PCGS-graded coin to appear in an auction-style venue in nearly a year. The most recent was at Teletrade last April.
  • Options
    Two 63s in Heritage LB auction. I will be interested to see how they do.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a difficult date- especially in MS-

As much as I hate to say this, it boils down to demand. This date is overshadowed by the 1905-s

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on finding what you sought! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on finding what you sought! image >>

Actually, I was able to purchase a second 1900-S in OGH 45 from the same submission family. image

CoinKat, I have seen many more 1905-S $10s than 1900-S $10's.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody put the two in HA because they heard RYK opening his vault. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file