Options

5 biggest rookie busts of the 90's

How many of these cards do we all have stashed still? Lol

Inspired by Doug's van poppel post image

90's rookie busts

Comments

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    How can we forget Ben McDonald? The famous error card in 1990 Upper Deck was supposed to pay for my kid's education. And Kevin Maas ruled the world for about 2 weeks
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    i still have a soft spot for ben mcdonald...that '90 topps #1 draft pick card is legendary! so is his leaf and UD rookie...even the donruss rated rookies, or the fleer of him smiling. you CAN'T go wrong with a ben mcdonald rookie card!
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not ashamed to admit that I searched ebay last week for a 1990 Upper Deck Ben McDonald w/ Orioles card. I wasn't going to buy one, but I wanted to see how available they were.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty good list. Though they weren't "busts" in the true sense, neither Rondell White nor Cliff Floyd turned out as I hoped image
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I was a major Ben McDonald fan! That 1990 Leaf was my favorite of his. Was also betting on Phil Plantier and TVP. Both 1991 Upper Deck cards were gold for me. What's funny is my buddy from long ago was collecting braves, so I was trading away my Chippers for his Plantier/TVP/McDonalds. Of course I was about 10 years old, but what great moves those were! image

Justin
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm not ashamed to admit that I searched ebay last week for a 1990 Upper Deck Ben McDonald w/ Orioles card. I wasn't going to buy one, but I wanted to see how available they were. >>

I confess, I actually want to get one. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have a stash of 1990 Leaf Marquis Grissom rookie cards
  • Options
    Every time I rip open a box of 1991 or 1992 cards, I always pull out the star cards including all the Kevin Maas cards. I always liked him. He messed up though when Mattingly got hurt in 91 and Mass stepped in to cover first base and he said that Mattingly was going to have to win his position back.

Oh no he didn't just say that! Lol
  • Options
    Kevin Maas was a 22nd round draft pick and 25-year-old mid season call-up. A bit silly to call him a 'bust'

Josh Booty got a pretty nice signing bonus to do absolutely nothing for the Marlins -- and not even that much for LSU either; I guess Matt Anderson might not count for 90s players;
  • Options
    I think Brien Taylor was part of the 90's....no bigger bust than his.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still have a stash of 1990 Leaf Marquis Grissom rookie cards >>

Me too, plus all the other brands. I couldn't even work a deal just to get rid of them with the 1 Marquis Grissom collector I found.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Brien Taylor was part of the 90's....no bigger bust than his. >>

You beat me to it. image

• Options
    I don't remember the pure hype around Taylor they way there was with Van Poppel. Van Poppel was legend, he contract was filled with all sorts of no power tools, cutting grass etc rules

Tim Wakefield got really hot for a few months in the 90's! Mo Vaughn?

I suffered more through football busts in the 90's. Thanks Dan McGwire, Kijana Carter, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Rashan Salaam and your other friends.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't remember the pure hype around Taylor they way there was with Van Poppel. Van Poppel was legend, he contract was filled with all sorts of no power tools, cutting grass etc rules

Tim Wakefield got really hot for a few months in the 90's! Mo Vaughn?

I suffered more through football busts in the 90's. Thanks Dan McGwire, Kijana Carter, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Rashan Salaam and your other friends. >>

Mo Vaughn was a stud in Boston. Then he signed a big contract with the NY Mets and disappeared. He was pretty big and I think had injury issues.

Does anyone remember the 1992 Fleer Rookie Sensation Cards that came in the 1992 Fleer Cello packs? The regular set was a really ugly green, but that subset was awesome. Blue and Glossy with Gold Font and really rare cards. You'd get like 12 in a cello box and the set had twenty-something cards so you really had a hard time finding them. I was buying as many of the Phil Plantier cards from that set as I could, but it also had Frank Thomas, Jeff Bagwell, Ray Lankford, Ivan Rodriguez, etc. Turns out it's a great set that got a lot right, but I think it has disappeared amongst the thousands of subsets during that era and is now irrelevant.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Topps sure bought into Brien Taylor when they inserted autographed cards into their 1992 Topps Gold Factory Sets.
  • Options
    92 Rookie Sensations, yes my favourite set of the 90's. I was big into Plantier as well! Lankford was great as well.

I have so much of the 92 Fleer as a result its just a shame lol

You just peaked my interest. Going to go see what they are selling for and maybe pick a set up.
  • Options

<< <i>92 Rookie Sensations, yes my favourite set of the 90's. I was big into Plantier as well! Lankford was great as well.

I have so much of the 92 Fleer as a result its just a shame lol

You just peaked my interest. Going to go see what they are selling for and maybe pick a set up. >>

There are no PSA 10 Thomas's and the 9's are selling for $75-100 so maybe it's not as irrelevant as I thought lol

Speaking of HOF, what is everyone's opinion on the big 3 from that set? Frank Thomas, Jeff Bagwell, and Ivan Rodriguez? Thomas probably played too long and it hurt his career average but he still broke 500 HR
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Pudge is in....Helps that he played catcher
  • Options
    Nevermind
  • Options
    The Fleer Rookie Sensations are just a normal insert set with people going back and buying them. Frank Thomas RC's were in 1990 with Bagwell and Ivan in 1991. Does anyone remember Jerome Walton? He had that long hitting streak and everyone put him in the HOF. I recall his 89 UD Hi # going for $50 or something.
  • Options
    I remember a mild sensation once McGwire really began to become a superstar, people started to look at Cory Snyder and Bill Swift and Mike Dunne and Oddibe McDowell as the next potential big stars that would inflate the 85 Topps set even more.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    How does one define "bust?" Taylor and Big Ben were both injured. Marquis Grissom had a very nice major league career. Gregg Jeffries, in my mind, was a bust. A lot of hype, but not much of a career. Same for Brad Komminsk and Shawn Abner.
  • Options

<< <i>How does one define "bust?" Taylor and Big Ben were both injured. Marquis Grissom had a very nice major league career. Gregg Jeffries, in my mind, was a bust. A lot of hype, but not much of a career. Same for Brad Komminsk and Shawn Abner. >>

jefferies had alot of hype and didn't live up to it, but i don't think he was a bust. according to b-r he was a 2x all star in st. louis and had a respectable career....too bad he didn't get a chance to play with big mac. '89-'90 were my years started collecting so all the names brought up here feel like old friends you haven't heard from awhile.

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    Drew Henson would also like to enter this contest. Drafted in 1998 (3rd Round- for signability reasons) 6 years & 17M later ending with perhaps the greatest career triple slash ever - .111/.111/.111. (-40 OPS+)
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Drew Henson would also like to enter this contest. Drafted in 1998 (3rd Round- for signability reasons) 6 years & 17M later ending with perhaps the greatest career triple slash ever - .111/.111/.111. (-40 OPS+) >>

Tom Brady laughs his way to the bank anytime anyone mentions the name Drew Henson.

I know this is a baseball thread, but the top busts ever in my mind for the '90's definitely include Jason Bonsignore and Ryan Leaf

JaMarcus Russell can wait until someone starts a more modern era's thread.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭
    Hideki Irabu and Kerry Wood
  • Options
    I knew Ben McDonald was going to be bust when I saw him walk into a door . I forgot about Van Poppel telling the Braves not to draft him . The Braves should sent him flowers and a thank you card.
  • Options

<< <i>

I know this is a baseball thread, but the top busts ever in my mind for the '90's definitely include Jason Bonsignore and Ryan Leaf

JaMarcus Russell can wait until someone starts a more modern era's thread. >>

love the bonsignore reference, but i gotta go with alex daigle for hockey back then. daigle was the top pick in a draft that had pronger, kariya, gratton, rob niedermayer and a bunch of other serviceable or all star players. i was very disappointed tho when radek bonk and bonsignore didn't amount to more.
  • Options
    Finally some Ben McDonald love!

<< <i>i still have a soft spot for ben mcdonald...that '90 topps #1 draft pick card is legendary! >>

I have a PSA 10 of that Topps card. PM if interested.

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not ashamed to admit that I searched ebay last week for a 1990 Upper Deck Ben McDonald w/ Orioles card. I wasn't going to buy one, but I wanted to see how available they were. >>

I confess, I actually want to get one. image >>

I have a really sweet PSA 8.5 that is begging to be resubbed - came from the exact same box my PSA 10 came from (no longer have this one) but were subbed at two different times. PM if interested.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    The Yankees drafted Taylor #1 bypassing Manny Ramirez. Well, I guess 12 other teams passed on Manny too!
  • Options
    I'm surprised it took so long to reference Jefferies. What a disaster
    It never leaves you...
  • Options

<< <i>I know this is a baseball thread, but the top busts ever in my mind for the '90's definitely include Jason Bonsignore and Ryan Leaf. JaMarcus Russell can wait until someone starts a more modern era's thread. >>

Football certainly had its fair share of busts. Remember the quarterback class of 1999 that was supposed to rival that of 1983.... not so much. Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Daunte Culpepper, Shaun King, Brock Huard, Joe Germaine, Aaron Brooks ... at least Donovan McNabb had a decent career. Unfortunately, I bet big on Akili and lost. image

Snorto~
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty good list. Though they weren't "busts" in the true sense, neither Rondell White nor Cliff Floyd turned out as I hoped

Cliff Floyd is very good on the MLB network IMHO. Too bad he had a hard time staying healthy during his playing days.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    One of the monster rookie cards early in the decade that ultimately and utterly fizzled, Carlos Baerga. Those 90 leafs were gold. Lot of folks thought Robin Ventura would be a better pro as well. Both had nice runs, but not the careers envisioned at the time.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that Ventura's career suffered from a lack of sabermetrics. I believe his glove was one of the best at 3B.
  • Options
    Cubs future star Jerome Walton comes to mind but then again, he played for the Cubs so this is no shocker
  • Options
    RudedawgRudedawg Posts: 345 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How does one define "bust?" Taylor and Big Ben were both injured. Marquis Grissom had a very nice major league career. Gregg Jeffries, in my mind, was a bust. A lot of hype, but not much of a career. Same for Brad Komminsk and Shawn Abner. >>

jefferies had alot of hype and didn't live up to it, but i don't think he was a bust. according to b-r he was a 2x all star in st. louis and had a respectable career....too bad he didn't get a chance to play with big mac. '89-'90 were my years started collecting so all the names brought up here feel like old friends you haven't heard from awhile.

image >>

Gotta admit...............if I saw this come up at auction............I would bid
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    McDonald turned out to be a solid pitcher, obviously didn't live up to the hype but he was a solid #3 starter. Jefferies was also a solid player, even got a few MVP votes in his years with the Cards because he could hit for avg. I wouldn't consider either of these guys complete busts since they ended up having solid MLB careers.

Van Poppel was awful. The top 3 picks in the '91 draft were supposed to be great but they turned out to be a dumpster fire: Brien Taylor, Mike Kelly and David McCarty.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Gotta admit...............if I saw this come up at auction............I would bid >>

Looks like quite a different signature on the 1989 Topps Jeffries compared to the other 2. The 1989 Donruss & 1990 Topps look close enough to each other, but the 1989 would give me pause for consistency. The 2 Ben McDonalds have a bit of variance, but probably a little more within the amount that could be expected.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

JaMarcus Russell can wait until someone starts a more modern era's thread. >>

love the bonsignore reference, but i gotta go with alex daigle for hockey back then. daigle was the top pick in a draft that had pronger, kariya, gratton, rob niedermayer and a bunch of other serviceable or all star players. i was very disappointed tho when radek bonk and bonsignore didn't amount to more. >>

True enough for sure, but Daigle had a significantly better overall career than Bonsignore, though that's not really saying much.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Eric Anthony of the Astros? He was being compared to Griffey Jr when he came up in 1989.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

<< <i>

Looks like quite a different signature on the 1989 Topps Jeffries compared to the other 2. The 1989 Donruss & 1990 Topps look close enough to each other, but the 1989 would give me pause for consistency. The 2 Ben McDonalds have a bit of variance, but probably a little more within the amount that could be expected. >>

all the jefferies are good. the sigs were signed many years apart, hence the difference. ben mcdonald's sig hasn't changed much through the years, and he's pretty good ttm.
  • Options

<< <i>How about Eric Anthony of the Astros? He was being compared to Griffey Jr when he came up in 1989.

image >>

+1 on Anthony

How about Walt Weiss?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm surprised it took so long to reference Jefferies. What a disaster >>

As someone else mentioned, Jeffries was a 2 time all star and had a decent career but the hype surrounding him was almost impossible to live up to. His 88 donruss and fleer cards were 10-15 bucks before he even played (at the time that was crazy) He was 19 years old and the NY media went crazy hyping him.

St. Louis is where he really shined finishing in the top 20 in MVP twice. In 1993 he had over 40 stolen bases and batted .344. His stats were along the lines of Keith Hernandez for a while. He also struck out like once every 18 at bats for his career which is really low.

Where I'm going is that jefferies career was hardly a disaster, the disaster was the media being ready to put him in the HOF when he was 19.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Do Mike Greenwell and Kevin Seitzer ring a bell? I prolly have several dozen Gregg Jeffries from each card company I was hoarding him and he had a great start. Louis Polonia was another one. There were many back then...
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Roger Salkeld was supposed to the next big thing....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Archibald "Moonlight" Graham and Roy Hobbs never really panned out either. image
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Roger Salkeld was supposed to the next big thing.... >>

agree, I know I'm not the only one who had 50 card lots put aside of this guy......

imageimage