Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Changes in prices of rare coins has nothing to do with supply and demand

It is the exchange of one asset (the coin) for another asset (a stock of money).

Discuss:
Ed

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those with the largest supply of money trump demand in most cases.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No economic model is perfect but the concept of the supply-demand curve is just fine when it comes to rare coins. Exceptions to the "rules" abound.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since every transaction has to be negotiated in one way or another, there's no such thing as a "market price" for a coin. Therefore, any attempt to determine a price by calculating supply and demand, or (for that matter) by looking at recent price history, is just an estimate.

Actually, you could say the same of every market, even highly liquid ones. Think about the mechanics of "flash crashes" on Wall Street and it becomes obvious.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has everything to do with Supply and Demand. Supply is not mintage, it is what remains and the grade. What someone pays for the coin is a proxy for demand. (Notice I did not say willing).
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Kaline6Kaline6 Posts: 345
    1904-O Morgan.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    First lesson in economics ;Supply can create demand. If you pause to contemplate it in this light (metaphor). You will understand a lot about the "coin market "as well as, economics.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Why would you say that mike? Well, because Say would say that's why.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changes in prices of rare coins has nothing to do with supply and demand

If you say so.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...Supply can create demand... >>

And demand can create supply, just ask the Chinese counterfeiters.
  • Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1904-O Morgan. >>

I believe you mean 1903-O Morgan.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    <<It is the exchange of one asset (the coin) for another asset (a stock of money).

Discuss:>>

The real fun and craziness is the intangible stuff between those two things you mentioned! image

Eric
  • Options
    Kaline6Kaline6 Posts: 345

<< <i>

<< <i>1904-O Morgan. >>

I believe you mean 1903-O Morgan. >>

Yup, thanks!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It certainly does....true, there may be other factors from time to time, but supply/demand is a major factor. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Well.... a "rare" coin is one of limited supply. Demand is not measured in the total amount of people who want an item; it is measured by the number of people who are able to purchase. You toss in a few people who want an item with limited availability, prices elevate. Seems like a classic example of supply/demand.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's a preponderance of empirical data that proves it's all about supply and demand. you have:

estimated survival rates and estimated mintages
    number coins available on the market at any given time
    number of coins graded
    number of coins for any given grade

these all give you supply information.

you also have:

historic price guide prices
    historic grey sheet prices
    historic auction prices
    historic tax data
    historic show prices
    show attendance
    collector base
    dealer base
    number of coins sold

these all give you demand and price information that you can cross reference. yes, there is always a margin of error. but, with this much information at hand, that margin becomes insignificant.

once you have all that...there's all kinds of correlations you can draw. any major coin grading company, auction house, dealer, etc has access to this information. with the internet, we all can access a large part of that information.

yes, there are other data points...but what you derive from those boils down to a supply issue and/or a demand issue.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Changes in prices of rare coins has nothing to do with supply and demand
    It is the exchange of one asset (the coin) for another asset (a stock of money).

Discuss: >>

Any exchange is the exchange of one asset for another asset. Supply and demand determines the exchange rate. That's why a 1909-S VDB cent can be exchanged for a larger stock of money than a 1909 VDB cent (less supply) or a 2012-S proof silver half dollar can be exchanged for a larger stock of money than a 2012-S proof silver dime (more demand). The same logic applies to prices of genuinely rare coins.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price level is determined by supply and demand.

Small price changes over time for scarce or unique coins in somebody's price guide may move up or down based on somewhat random factors,
    such as the number of buyers interested in an item at a given auction.
    It is still a demand effect, but does not move smoothly in one direction like something based on a large N, such as the total number of coin collectors.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Economics 111
    LCoopie = Les

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file