Home Metal Detecting
Options

some videos i made

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Demo,

Thanks for the video! Always neat seeing some of the collections people have assembled. It was amusing seeing your tackle box and hearing, "and here's some tokens..." then you move a couple of things and are like, "oh, here's a monster gold bracelet".

In your video you wanted us to give you some things we'd like to see... I'm a sucker for the U.S. coins and jewelry, so it'd be awesome to pull a video of that if you can. Thanks again for taking some time to share your finds.
  • Options
    ok i'll get out some coins. for some reason it takes forever to load onto youtube. maybe i'll get a new up by tomorrow
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you ever find any good marbles?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!

I'll try to watch those from work tomorrow night, where there is a T-1 connection.

Out here in the boonies, on my stinky satellite connection from home, it would take forever to watch 'em. Which is why mine take forever to upload, just as you are experiencing.

Speaking of which, I plan to work some on my "Dirty Movie #05" tonight and try to get it uploaded soon. That and Movie #06 will cover last Monday's hunt. Then this coming Sunday, I might put the coil to the soil again. I've invited Steve/Millennium to meet me at Gascoigne Bluff (shown in my "Dirty Movie" #04)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    I'm loading a coin video right now. Looks like it will take a few hours. I'll do it all over when I get a video recorder. My phone doesnt capture details very well.
    I have buttons, marbles, bottles, foreign coins, Spanish period, relics, and a large chinese collection including opium items. I may do another video this Saturday when we go dump digging
  • Options

<< <i>tokens
    raking dump >>

At first glance, my brain did something weird, and I read "tokens" and "taking dump".

I'm glad that second video isn't what I thought it was when I first read it. Nobody would wanna watch that. Teehee. image

Nearly 2 AM. It's obviously time I crawled off to bed now, ya think? image

I promise I'll watch those when my connection is better.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Just saw you posted another video. That is quite an extensive collection of seated coins and half dollars. Were most of these found at dump sites, or were quite a few from regular metal detecting? I have to say it's quite an impressive collection. Have you kept track of your silver coin totals over the years?
  • Options
    when I first started detecting, I did mostly parking strips and front yards. I did do a few schools and parks also. these areas were decent. I dug lots of barber dimes and indian cents and just about everything else. I dug a 1794 conder token out of a strip.

some people in our club talked about dumps and demos. so I started looking for those. at this point I realized they were much better. back in the 1980's to early 2000's demo were many and easy to access. not anymore. but when they were, they were good. we did some that gave up a dozen seated coins for each person. I hit a lot where I got a 1780 real, 1890 dime and a civil war bullet.

recently the dumps are the best thing going for me. I have around 6-7 dumps that I could go to. they are much easier to dig and could have just about anything you could want.

this pic is of a massive dump in Oakland CA, back in maybe 2003-4. it dated from 1860's-1940's. we dug there for about 3 months. there were gold coins and seated coins found. the real money were the bottles.
  • Options
    I'm jealous of your workshop.

Actually, we have one, but it's so full of other junk, I'm not sure what ladymarcovan would say if I made it into a MD finds mini-museum.

• Options
    My wife gets the house and I have my building outside. Been that way for almost 15 years now. Spent many peaceful hours in there. Definitely worth getting, if you have space for it.
  • Options
    I have no real space I can call my own. image

Well... a bookshelf in the bedroom, I guess.

• Options
    Great videos , Demo. I have a couple of questions.....first what camera are you using? A cell phone or a regular camera? Are you using Windows Movie Maker to put together the movies? And last, do you go back and sift the dirt after looking for the bigger items? Here on our ballast islands, that is a great way we have found to recover smaller coins and jewelry. The trash is so bad, a detector is almost useless..
    Thanks, and looking forward to more videos..
  • Options
    ok, i'm just using my droid phone. no software. I was looking at some video recorders today. gonna get one soon. every dump is different. some have a lot of small things, some don't. some have a lot iron and some not. I do have a sifter but I don't use it much. I've trained myself to eyeball things as I rake the dirt. I use a small stiff metal rake and go slow. its good to dig a large hole, to have a long stretch to rake. some friends sift, but I find just as much or more from raking. sure I may miss something, but i'm not worried too much. can't get it all. and I do get a lot already. in the past years I've been collecting the pottery shards in attemps to glue them together. i'm not collecting stuff, i'm recreating life as it was. an amateur anthropologist maybe...