Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another reason to get rid of the penny

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
From CBS News:

Some dogs will eat just about anything, from chicken bones to plants to prescription pills.

Common household items pose health danger to pets

One poor pooch from Colo. lost her life after eating another item found commonly in households: a penny.

That's because pennies minted after 1982 contain zinc, which is a toxic substance to pets such as dogs and cats, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57581037/dog-fatally-poisoned-by-one-penny

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    I don't get the happy face after the "Fatally Poisoned" story?

Eric
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad story...but it would take a monumental effort to remove all pennies from circulation so that this kind of thing wouldn't happen again, even if the mint stopped producing new ones.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... cents abound on the ground... and often are found on floors or porches..... good point to mention though, since many are not aware of the zinc issue with pets. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is good to know for individual pet owners but what can be done on a larger level?

Since the $60 million to be saved from eliminating the cent is too small for the government to worry about, perhaps pet lobbyists like PETA should get involved from the ethical side.
  • Options
    What is the mechanism for zinc and dogs? Is it like chocolate? Why aren't people affected?

Years ago my grandaughter swallowed a penny. The sustitute doctor on duty refused to consider an X-ray. He said it was too risky considering we were not absolutly 100 % sure that she had swallowed it. Case closed, he sent her home.

After several days of being unable to swallow solid food, another doctor went in and removed the penny from her throat. He said we should have come in earlier.
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>Years ago my grandaughter swallowed a penny. The sustitute doctor on duty refused to consider an X-ray. He said it was too risky considering we were not absolutly 100 % sure that she had swallowed it. Case closed, he sent her home. >>

I would have reported him to the AMA or any other organization that gives him a license. If you weren't 100% sure that she swallowed it, that seems like all the more reason to get an x-ray.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW !!! Thanks for the info...
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Another article, this little pooch ate 111 cents:

dog ate 111 cents
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>What is the mechanism for zinc and dogs? Is it like chocolate? Why aren't people affected?

Years ago my grandaughter swallowed a penny. The sustitute doctor on duty refused to consider an X-ray. He said it was too risky considering we were not absolutly 100 % sure that she had swallowed it. Case closed, he sent her home.

After several days of being unable to swallow solid food, another doctor went in and removed the penny from her throat. He said we should have come in earlier. >>

Humans and zinc pennies

People are affected , there has been deaths , question is why would they use zinc.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

Another reason to get rid of the penny

...kinda makes me think of the gun argument........
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file