Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What to do...1974 OPC Packs

A few weeks ago, I purchased the remaining 11 packs from BBCE of 1974 OPC Baseball. I sold 2 to Tom (tsalems) at cost as he loves old OPC as much as I do, but I have 9 remaining. I just saw that one of them has a Carl Yasztremski on top.

I am staring at these 9 packs every day trying to figure out what to do with them. I can send them in to PSA and wait the 3 months to have them graded. I can pick the best 3 or 4 and send them in and open the rest OR I can just rip them all.

For those that don't know, 1974 OPC is by far the rarest and hardest to find of any 70's OPC. A few of the fellow board members have educated me on that. If I recall, it had to do with factory workers going on strike and disrupting production so very few cards were produced and the quality is horrible so anything in 8 or above is gold

The dilemma is

1. The 1974 OPC Winfield RC is in my top 5 wanted cards
2. I really don't know what I'm looking for in the way of cherry picking the best looking packs for grading. I know tears in the wrapper are a biggy, but besides that I really don't get it
3. I'm a ripaholic and I'm dying to rip into these lol

Really interested in everyone's opinions
The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
TheClockworkAngelCollection

Comments

• tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Why ask? You know what to do image
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking to sell any, I will buy them. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • As a spectator, and not someone giving advice. I say rip, rip, rip away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • SloshedJoshSloshedJosh Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Looking to buy/trade for any Holman Moody (NASCAR) related items you may have.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowing how rare they are, I would save at least 1 or 2 packs and send those in to get graded. Sell a couple and open the rest.

Good luck,

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    Please do not rip. There aren't that many left. You can find a Winfield already out and slabbed in nice grade much easier than you can find those packs.

Dave
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Save AT LEAST the one with YAZ on top.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please do not rip. There aren't that many left. You can find a Winfield already out and slabbed in nice grade much easier than you can find those packs. >>

Not so much. There have been a whopping 37 TOTAL graded, which gives us an idea of how rare these are. There is 1 9, 1 8.5, and 12 8's
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    Last 8 from what I can remember sold well over $400!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Last 8 from what I can remember sold well over $400! >>

Looks like the smart money is with grading them. You can always change your mind and
    crack and rip later.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
    One of my favorite OPC packs from my 70s run..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>

<< <i>Last 8 from what I can remember sold well over $400! >>

Looks like the smart money is with grading them. You can always change your mind and
    crack and rip later. >>

The last PSA 8 Winfield
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    oh, my bad.image But I still say grade them
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    One of your top 5 wanted may actually be in the packs? I can't believed you haven't ripped already....???!!!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I need just ONE pack for my OPC run so obviously I suggest you sell them all. In the name of all that is sacred.

The odds of a Winfield being in there aren't good. The odds of a Winfield in a condition you're happy with being in there is really, really not good.
  • DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    I know we've disagreed on stuff before, but I do think you have the same mindset I do, and thats that you cannot rip something this rare.

If you do have to rip, and believe me I understand the urge, I'd sent the best 4-5 packs in for grading including the Yaz, and AFTER you've sent them off, then rip away.

<< <i>I know we've disagreed on stuff before, but I do think you have the same mindset I do, and thats that you cannot rip something this rare.

If you do have to rip, and believe me I understand the urge, I'd sent the best 4-5 packs in for grading including the Yaz, and AFTER you've sent them off, then rip away. >>

Yah that makes sense. Problem is I dunno what I'm looking for in terms of the best ones for grading. I am sure it's not much different than cards in terms of looking for the details that make a pack a 9 or a 10
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    (9*8)/660 = 10.91% chance or lower If there are dupes for a Winfield, keep them sealed

And yes I am a CPA

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• As for picking the best packs to grade. Look for no tears, centred front logos, bright virbrant colours.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Please do not rip. There aren't that many left. You can find a Winfield already out and slabbed in nice grade much easier than you can find those packs. >>

Not so much. There have been a whopping 37 TOTAL graded, which gives us an idea of how rare these are. There is 1 9, 1 8.5, and 12 8's >>

I'm fortunate to own a 9. Strange thing is Tim seems to also have one so the pops must be wrong. I was relieved when mine got holdered. The seal was only 25% intact. I thought for sure it would pop open in transit but it held strong.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Not so much. There have been a whopping 37 TOTAL graded, which gives us an idea of how rare these are. There is 1 9, 1 8.5, and 12 8's >>

I'm fortunate to own a 9. Strange thing is Tim seems to also have one so the pops must be wrong. I was relieved when mine got holdered. The seal was only 25% intact. I thought for sure it would pop open in transit but it held strong. >>

Would be awesome to see a scan of one of these! image

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm fortunate to own a 9. Strange thing is Tim seems to also have one so the pops must be wrong. I was relieved when mine got holdered. The seal was only 25% intact. I thought for sure it would pop open in transit but it held strong. >>

I think he's referring to the Winfield card, John, not the OPC packs themselves.

• If you happen to get the packs graded and end up with a PSA 9 pack, I would certainly be a buyer if you would be interested in selling. Jason
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    You will get your best cash return in grading/selling all packs.

You will most likely get two gradeable cards (perhaps four at the most if you're lucky) out of each pack.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my advice: You have 9 packs. Definitely get the pack with Yaz showing graded. Out of the other 8, decide the maximum you would consider ripping in search of Winfield. If, say it's 5: Start ripping. As soon as you get Big Dave, be thankful and don't rip any more. If you don't get him in the packs you decide to rip, stick to your guns and keep the remaining packs sealed.
    Daniel
  • Send in the Yaz.

Rip 1 pack. See how awful the centering is. Feel the burn.

Send the rest in for grading.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Todd, you are asking the wrong guy. Send them all in for grading unless they have tears and/or loose seals.

BTW, doesn't Yaz lead to Winfield? image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    11% chance that you have a Winfield in one of the packs.

Then probably between 20%-30% chance that the Winfield (if it is there) is gradeable as a PSA 8 or better (remember you will have a wax card and a gum card
    so 2 of the eight cards in each already have a solid chance of being less than pristine). And centering is a complete unknown unless you can get an idea from seeing through the packs.

That boils down to about a 2%-3% chance of pulling a Winfield that could grade PSA 8 or better, and I think that is still being a bit optimistic.

IMO, given the rarity of those packs it would be a real shame to rip them for such long odds.

Good luck with your decision.

Dave
    There is no gum card. There is a team checklist in front of the regular 1974 cards.
    The gum probably is not sticking to it either.
    There will be a card with wax but odds are it will clean off easy
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    I would do whatever you planned to do with them when you first purchased them. Go with your gut!

As a side question- I don't do anything with graded packs, but if these packs are rare and they were bought from Steve, wouldn't he have graded them already if they would grade high?

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    rip away!

------
    stupid print dots

• mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Send in the Yaz.

Rip 1 pack. See how awful the centering is. Feel the burn.

Send the rest in for grading. >>

+1. or, if centering is good, rip away!
  • DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would do whatever you planned to do with them when you first purchased them. Go with your gut!

As a side question- I don't do anything with graded packs, but if these packs are rare and they were bought from Steve, wouldn't he have graded them already if they would grade high?

Jeff >>

It doesn't seem Steve Hart does business that way(cherry picking packs).
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    If it's really just Winfield of bust, I agree with the math of 70sToppsFanatic. If there is also just the fun element, maybe open a pack or two to see how things look. I am willing to pay $1000 for a straight PSA 9 Aaron #1 card.

If it were me, I'd just leave the packs alone, ungraded, unless I had a near-term desire to possibly sell them.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think he's referring to the Winfield card, John, not the OPC packs themselves. >>

Ah, that makes sense.

<< <i>

<< <i>I would do whatever you planned to do with them when you first purchased them. Go with your gut!

Jeff >>

It doesn't seem Steve Hart does business that way(cherry picking packs). >>

Steve could do a lot of things a certain way that he doesn't do. He could probably slab a PSA 10 on just about anything after cherry picking boxes, that's just not his style.

Good feedback. I am selling a few to some other members at my cost, probably popping a couple and sending the rest in for grading.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve doesn't assign numerical grades to packs, he authenticates them and then PSA does the grading.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I think he meant if Steve cherry-picked boxes from which he sold single packs, he could end up with PSA 10s, not that Steve has the power to assign grades.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:
    did you rip ?

I'm curious how this turned out as well. 1974 is a tough year (low production) due to a strike at the OPC factory.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 9:12AM

According to psa pack population there is one pack with yaz on back and 25 total graded.

That means OP at least graded the yaz pack?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

a thread back from the dead.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

There is an OPC Winfield PSA 8 on ebay for $550. Or I could rip around $3,000 worth of packs and have a 2-3% chance of getting a $550 card. Just by the numbers, in order for this to make financial sense, the potential card would have to be a $120,000 card, not a $550 card.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

know what i mean Vern, lol

@dontippet said:
    There is an OPC Winfield PSA 8 on ebay for $550. Or I could rip around $3,000 worth of packs and have a 2-3% chance of getting a $550 card. Just by the numbers, in order for this to make financial sense, the potential card would have to be a $120,000 card, not a $550 card.

so u are saying we should click on the winfield ?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@craig44 said:

know what i mean Vern, lol

awesome! a man who knows Jim Varney! I was a big fan growing up.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two things. First of all apparently the packs were not slabbed as there is the pop report does not show a Yaz on top pack being graded. Second of all, it looks as if the sole 8.5 Winfield bumped to a 9 as there are two 9's in the pop report currently and zero 8.5's. The pop has increased on straight 8's though with the last sale at $455.

I still have my PSA 9 74 opc pack.. ;)

@grote15 said:

open it

@lawyer05 said:

@grote15 said:

open it

Blasphemy!