Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A dream come true...

2»

Comments

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Ben, I do have two placeholders... at least on the poster... White circles with a smiley face. image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Thanks for the comments guys.

Ben, I do have two placeholders... at least on the poster... White circles with a smiley face. image >>

Ah yes, THE POSTER. I forgot about that.

I may need to buy one from you when you've completed your set...and maybe after a couple of upgrades image
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the comments guys.

Ben, I do have two placeholders... at least on the poster... White circles with a smiley face. image >>

Ah yes, THE POSTER. I forgot about that.

I may need to buy one from you when you've completed your set...and maybe after a couple of upgrades image >>

I finally thought ahead on this thing and am making a lot easier to switch out individual coins in the future. image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Something to shoot for. From the Legend Collection:

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old news imageimage

Wonderful write-up! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    For collectors interested in 1870-S dollars, a fair amount of information can be found:

Phenomenal Excitement for a circulated 1870-S dollar
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Ben, I've already made one poster... it looks great in person (28" x 24"). It works out perfectly that the set plus the 1858 proof only is 45 coins! image Once it is completed it will look like this without any duplicates, just one spot for each date...

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Wow Mark,

That poster is fantastic. I'll have to do something like that once I complete my variety set. 34 Half Eagles and a bunch of quarter eagles.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story - it's like something from a QD Bowers book - congratulations and thanks for sharing!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    It is kind of neat to think one that walks among us owns such a rarity. Congrats.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭

revived thread: wish Speety were here to read this

I was flipping through an old Kagin/Hollinbeck Catalog from a February 28, 1951 Sale and ran across the following entry:

1870-S Silver Dollar
    Lot# 1248
    Very Fine except some initials have been removed from the obverse field. Certainly as rare as the 184 Silver Dollar. This is the first specimen to appear in all our ninety-five sales. It may be years before another specimen is offerred at one of our auctions. The Neil Specimen brought $1500, as also did the Colonel Green Specimen. While we do not believe this specimen will realize that amount, it will probably receive a substantial bid.

(from p. 34)

end of copied text

I wonder if it is known what year Mr. Boyd purchased his example. His passing was in 1958 and much of his collection ended up with John J. Ford, although not this coin for some reason. I found this interesting and I bet Mark would have also. RIP

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    You did good!!!! image
    "There are two types of people in the world. Those that do the work and those that take the credit. Try to be in the first group, there is less competition there" - Ghandi
  • Options
    We did;

Two years ago today image.

The collection continues to be upgraded and he would be proud to continue to spend my money image

Most recently purchased the 1850-O SD in MS-64.

spetty

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file