Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

One way to get a coin that you need and cannot find elsewhere...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
is to locate it in the Heritage auction archives, find the ones that meet your criteria for grade, price, and quality, and keep making offers until someone accepts it. I have learned that "if you throw enough crap against the wall, some of it will stick".

1900-S $10 is on the way. image

Comments

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go!
  • Options
    JA, please feel free to use my quote on your website in the Notable Quaotable section. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

You actually got that to work. I tried a couple of times and got no responses. I was contacted one time about coin I have and turned down the offer because the coin is virtually irreplaceable (tied for finest graded), and the offer was not outrageous enough to get me to sell it.

There are a couple of coins with signs on them that made me consider going after them, but I figured after I paid Heritage a 10% fee plus whatever the profit the owner needed to get, I'd be buried in the piece.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. A lot of people don't like the feature, but I've always thought the "it doesn't hurt to ask" approach yields more results then not trying at all. We're going to waste time anyway poking around Ebay and websites, so I figure this isn't that much larger a waste of time, and I know where the coin I want is.

Way to go!
  • Options
    I just got an offer on HA for a coin I sold a few months ago.. The offer was 1/3rd higher $800 bucks.. UG..
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if you haven't got enough "CRAP"!!image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a rather unseemly route - I'd rather be patient. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>That's a rather unseemly route - I'd rather be patient. image >>

This is not a once size-fits all strategy, and, in fact, it really should only be used sparingly. I really wanted one of these and was annoyed that this "generic" piece was so hard to find. So, I forced one out into the market. I will buy another when the opportunity arises.

Edit: Did I mention that it was in an OGH?
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job, RYK and I'm glad someone has had success using that feature. Last year, I made an offer on an item, was ignored, and then, a couple of weeks later, I went into the Heritage archives to make an even higher offer and the winning bidder has turned off the "Make an Offer" feature. (And no, it wasn't a case of the bidder having sold the item. I know the winning bidder and he still has it).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must have thrown enough crap to crack the wall image

I've made like over 100 unsuccessful offers and it's not fun to wait 72 hours while the smoke signals are sent just to be rejected.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heritage used to send along a voucher with auction lots I bought, that afforded me the opportunity to consign the particular lot back to them for no fees at a future auction. Now they just take it for granted that they deserve a 15% commission if I don't opt out of their post auction listings of my winnings that they would have helped me sell for free up until a certain point in their genesis. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I turned down 3 offers.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to have that technique work for me

One offer I made was 2x the PCGS price guide and 2x the price the seller paid

Not only did the seller not accept ... I never heard anything at all from the seller (boo or otherwise)

I almost get the impression that the seller did not get my offer.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold a coin this way once, less than 24 hours after the auction ended. image

Congrats to finding a new one!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    We do this all the time in the bond market (at least in Muni's). I call it "pinging" the market. You never know if your intended target will rise to the surface. Or if you'll get crickets back. But it doesn't hurt.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We do this all the time in the bond market (at least in Muni's). I call it "pinging" the market. You never know if your intended target will rise to the surface. Or if you'll get crickets back. But it doesn't hurt. >>

I'd rather hear the cows bellowing from another venue. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    I have only sold one coin this way. It was a coin that I regretted immediately after I purchased it, and someone bailed me out of it about a month later (for a small profit). image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file