Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

No one gets into the Hall of Fame this year...

Surprised thought Biggio, Bags or Piazza would get in. Somebody....but nobody.
Miconelegacy Auctions
"Live everyday, don't throw it away"

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Name Votes (Pct.) Yrs on ballot
    Craig Biggio 388 (68.2%) 1
    Jack Morris 385 (67.7%) 14
    Jeff Bagwell 339 (59.6%) 3
    Mike Piazza 329 (57.8%) 1
    Tim Raines 297 (52.2%) 6
    Lee Smith 272 (47.8%) 11
    Curt Schilling 221 (38.8%) 1
    Roger Clemens 214 (37.6%) 1
    Barry Bonds 206 (36.2%) 1
    Edgar Martinez 204 (35.9%) 4
    Alan Trammell 191 (33.6%) 12
    Larry Walker 123 (21.6%) 3
    Fred McGriff 118 (20.7%) 4
    Dale Murphy 106 (18.6%) 15
    Mark McGwire 96 (16.9%) 7
    Don Mattingly 75 (13.2%) 13
    Sammy Sosa 71 (12.5%) 1
    Rafael Palmeiro 50 (8.8%) 3
    Bernie Williams 19 (3.3%) 2
    Kenny Lofton 18 (3.2%) 1
    Sandy Alomar Jr. 16 (2.8%) 1
    Julio Franco 6 (1.1%) 1
    David Wells 5 (0.9%) 1
    Steve Finley 4 (0.7%) 1
    Shawn Green 2 (0.4%) 1
    Aaron Sele 1 (0.2%) 1
    Jeff Cirillo 0 (0%) 1
    Royce Clayton 0 (0%) 1
    Jeff Conine 0 (0%) 1
    Roberto Hernandez 0 (0%) 1
    Ryan Klesko 0 (0%) 1
    Jose Mesa 0 (0%) 1
    Reggie Sanders 0 (0%) 1
    Mike Stanton 0 (0%) 1
    Todd Walker 0 (0%) 1
    Rondell White 0 (0%) 1
    Woody Williams 0 (0%) 1

Edited to add: Does Aaron Sele's mom have a vote?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Mad Dog & Big Hurt, see ya next summer.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Surprised thought Biggio, Bags or Piazza would get in. Somebody....but nobody. >>

I am glad. I want it to be tougher to get into.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Schilling was a guy I was curious how he would do. Great pitcher (way better than Morris, that's for sure) without huge counting stats over his career.

Thought/hoped Biggio and/or Raines would make it...oh well.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I am glad. I want it to be tougher to get into.

+1
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭
    who voted for Aaron Sele?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>who voted for Aaron Sele?

IMF >>

I think people that don't take their vote seriously should lose it. Really. How can someone, other than Aaron's mom, vote for him for the HOF? Maybe a mistake I suppose!? He's not even the hall of good or hall of ok.
  • Options
    Unfortunaltey for some players, it's going to get harder as voters will be comparing their stats with Bonds and Clemens stats Pre late nineties. Frank Thomas better be a first ballot!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    16 people voted for Sandy Alomar Jr. Unf***ingbelievable.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    So Dale Murphy, being the 15th year on the ballot now basically means he has no chance ever getting in.
  • Options
    How does Biggio not get in? A 3000 hit club member who TMK was not associated with PEDs. The writers are a joke. Holier than thou, elitist a-holes if you ask me.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So Dale Murphy, being the 15th year on the ballot now basically means he has no chance ever getting in >>

Not necessarily, he still has the veterans committee that can elect him in.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    So Dale Murphy, being the 15th year on the ballot now basically means he has no chance ever getting in.

I'm sure he'll be considered on at least one Veteran's Committee ballot.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    No one is getting in unless the vet committee lets them in .... Completely stupid and WRONG.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So Dale Murphy, being the 15th year on the ballot now basically means he has no chance ever getting in. >>

There's always the Veterans Committee.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So Dale Murphy, being the 15th year on the ballot now basically means he has no chance ever getting in. >>

There's always the Veterans Committee. >>

I can see the purpose of the Veterans Committee when the Hall first began, but hasn't the Hall has been around long enough to get rid of the Veterans Committee?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    How does Biggio not get in? A 3000 hit club member who TMK was not associated with PEDs. The writers are a joke. Holier than thou, elitist a-holes if you ask me.

How many other 3000 hit members did not get in on their first attempt over the past 60 years?
    Obviously there were a few (Speaker, Collins, Anson ,...) who didnt back in the day because the Hall had about 60 years of players accumulating.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How does Biggio not get in? A 3000 hit club member who TMK was not associated with PEDs. The writers are a joke. Holier than thou, elitist a-holes if you ask me. >>

Does defense matter? Since he played the majority of his career at key defensive positions and all. Save that venom for guys who were completely jobbed like Whitaker and Bobby Grich (both comparable to Biggio). At least in their case, unlike Biggio, they weren't among, if not the worst defensive 2b ever. -67 fielding runs below the average 2B. Add in his stint as a horrendous catcher - opponents stole 140 bases in 169 tries (82.8% success rate) off of him...and he happened to be a terrible OFer (-36 Defensive Runs Saved) as well. 3000 hits doesn't do much for me when you played for 20 years including hanging around for 2 years past his expiration date - when he absolutely killed the Astros with his 246/.306/.422 & .251/.285/.381 to achieve 3000 hits. What really matters with Biggio is nearly 300 HRs, 668 2Bs, 1800 runs, +54 runs from baserunning, and a 1997 season (+9.3 WAR) that should have earned him more than a 4th place MVP vote. PEDs aside, he's deserving. but so were Grich and Whitaker....both rank ahead of Biggio in career WAR btw, Plus Alomar and Sandberg didn't get in on the first ballot either.
  • Options
    Biggio not getting in is a joke. The guy has a clean name and 3000 hits. Piazza was surprising too.

The guys that used PEDS, Bonds, Clemens, Palmero etc have some of the most staggering numbers in baseball history. I am sorry but steroids are not some magical potion that makes the ball fly over the fence. I have been into fitness, strength training etc r for the better part of a decade and consider myself pretty knowledgeable on the subject. I have Bottom line is these were outstanding players and dedicated athletes. Bonds HRs were not barely clearing the fence and Clemens was not exactly throwing a 70 mph fastball before roids. Steriods are not adding as significant a boost as many people think. The primary advantage is recovery when we are talking baseball. Sure they may be a little fresher on the sauce but come now. All time HR leader, no Hall. 7 time Cy Young, no Hall. 3000 hits and 500 HRs, no Hall. Seems silly. Its not the Vatican, its a museum. Best players belong.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anybody is going to get in, ever again.
  • Options
    I agree that it should be harder to get in - I'm a big Rice fan but he and Dawson probably shouldn't be in. If they're in then so are Dewey Evans, Dave Parker, Kenny Lofton and a bunch of others. But that's beside the point.

I for one am glad that the writers saw through the accumulation of stats for stats sake in an era when PEDs not only bulked you up like Hulk Hogan but also kept you off the DL and made your age 37-42 years that much more productive. I sincerely believe that ARod gained 500 games not lost to injury due to his use of PEDs, and I am far from the only one thinking that Bagwell, Biggio and others may in the future be considerably more tied to PEDs than they are now.

• Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Surprising:

- Bernie Williams and Kenny Lofton falling off the ballot in their first year. Maybe not considering Ted Simmons didn't get past year one either but I thought the Yankee mystique may have kept Bernie on.
    - Didn't imagine Palmeiro under 10%. These writers are serious
    - I had Edgar Martinez a little higher this year. Don't know why.
    - I saw Clemens and Bonds getting higher counts. Not 75% but higher than 40%
    - Shame for Biggio and to a lesser extent Morris
    - Still don't get the case AGAINST Trammell

Looking to see if this affects prices paid for PSA 10 FU Clemens.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I love Rondell White and Shawn Green and apparently someone else does too!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

There's always the Veterans Committee. >>

I can see the purpose of the Veterans Committee when the Hall first began, but hasn't the Hall has been around long enough to get rid of the Veterans Committee? >>

But what would our veterans do then??? image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    These guys should get in because I have a vested interest in the 1995 Bowman's Best Refractors set and they all have cards in it.

Craig Biggio 388 (68.2%) 1
    Jeff Bagwell 339 (59.6%) 3
    Mike Piazza 329 (57.8%) 1
    Lee Smith 272 (47.8%) 11
    Roger Clemens 214 (37.6%) 1
    Barry Bonds 206 (36.2%) 1
    Larry Walker 123 (21.6%) 3
    Fred McGriff 118 (20.7%) 4
    Mark McGwire 96 (16.9%) 7
    Don Mattingly 75 (13.2%) 13
    Sammy Sosa 71 (12.5%) 1
    Rafael Palmeiro 50 (8.8%) 3
    Kenny Lofton 18 (3.2%) 1
    Shawn Green 2 (0.4%) 1
    Reggie Sanders 0 (0%) 1
    Todd Walker 0 (0%) 1
    Rondell White 0 (0%) 1

And Tim Raines because french people, Bill James, and my father love him.
  • Options
    RudedawgRudedawg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I'm in the camp that the bar has fallen a little too low for gettin' in the Hall. As a real general rule, if you have to argue, campaign and make a case for a player, they probably shouldn't be in there. Griffey, Big Frank, Glavine, Maddux............I don't think you get much argument from anyone and IMO they should be in first ballot. Bagwell, Biggio, Morris..............different story.

Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    So Craig Biggio and Mike Piazza are convicted without any evidence . These Baseball Hall of Fame voters need to be stripped of their power and replaced by Baseball Fans.
  • Options
    Dump these sportwriters! They don't deserve a vote. Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Sosa, McGwire, Palmiero, Biggio, Walker and Bagwell all deserve the Hall of Fame. So does Tim Raines , Jack Morris , and Lee Smith . These baseball writers punished Biggio and Piazza with No Evidence against them.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    I thought Biggio would get in as well.

What I never understood was the "well he's not a 1st ballot HOF'er" and then put him in the next year. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Either you are a HOF'r or your not. I agree, a lot of the writers are a bunch of tools.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    I personally don't think Biggio or Piazza deserved first ballot entry. You could argue for McGwire, Bonds and Clemons because I think this whole roid thing is BS. Heck, are you going to tell me no one in the NFL used PEDs? Total BS. I think Jack Morris is the only one in this years group that deserved a nod.
    There are a few current players that are shoe-ins for a first ballot entry - Chipper, Pujols, Jeter and Mariano Rivera come to mind.

Just my two cents....

• Options
    The HOF is watered down enough already. If we chnage it to the Hall of Very Good, I'd vote for guys like Jack Morris.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The HOF is watered down enough already. If we chnage it to the Hall of Very Good, I'd vote for guys like Jack Morris.

Some would agree, but Koufax played 12 years and had 165 wins. Morris had 177 in his first 12 years. Both have 3 rings. Jack was a work horse who always seem to play his best in big games.

• Options

<< <i>The HOF is watered down enough already. If we chnage it to the Hall of Very Good, I'd vote for guys like Jack Morris.

Some would agree, but Koufax played 12 years and had 165 wins. Morris had 177 in his first 12 years. Both have 3 rings. Jack was a work horse who always seem to play his best in big games. >>

Morris couldn't carry Koufax' jock strap snd it is absurd really to even mention the two in same sentence. Career wins is arguably the most misleading stat in baseball as it relies mainly on the performance of those around you, ie run support. Compare Koufax' ERA and WHIP with Morris and you will see what I
    mean.

There's also this misconception that Morris was perfection in the postseason. He certainly did have some outstanding performances but if you look at his total career stats, you will see he also was putrid in a couple of other postseasons as well.

• Options
    I had the opinion that Biggio & Bagwell might have gotten in this year. But you know what, my opinion doesn't matter, as it shouldn't. In fact, no one person's opinion matters, not even a BBWAA voter. What does matter is 75% of voters that vote for the same person. That is why, no matter what your opinion is, this system works. If your player is not in the HOF, it's because 75% did not vote for him & he does not deserve to be there, at least not yet. If a player is in the HOF, than he deserves to be there because 75% voted for him. A few voters can be wrong, but not 75%!

There are some players I would like to see get in, Gil Hodges for example, but since he has not been voted in, I can not say they have it wrong. Basicly it is the same for the VC, they have a high number minimum also.

Biggio did not get in first ballot. That's OK, we now know he is not a 1st ballot HOFer, no matter what your opinion is. He will probably get in next year and he will still be a HOFer, just not a 1st ballot HOFer, which is how we reconize the top tier HOFers.

My point, we all have opinions, just don't make them sound like they are the "only intelligent possibility" because they are not!
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    A couple of my thoughts on this subject...

1) PEDs... blah, blah, blah! Since all we do is guess, speculate, etc. on these guys (Accept the admitted McGwire & the failed-test Palmeiro)... I'm guessing it's more likely than not that in some point in their careers the likes of Piazza, Bagwell, Biggio, Schilling used PEDs as well. It's sport & it's money... yes, they cheat... most, if not all, do in one way or another, at some point in their careers... if not their entire career. It's that way today, as it was during the Steriod Era, and as it was in the 50's, 60's, 70's... hell, probably even 100 years ago! Plus, we need to really think about calling it "cheating"... there was no rule (albeit it's illegal.. but so were non-prescription greenies, cocaine, etc.) against steriod use in baeball during the "Steroid" Era... so how was it cheating. I'm in the camp that doesn't care, it was the way of the times... I'm not going to penalize the players of that Era for it, after all, I'm also in the camp that way more used during that time than those that didn't.

2) I don't condone steriod use, but I really don't care if these guys used. I could go along with the common arguement that it sends the wrong message to kids in college, high school, younger! I was playing sports in the high school & younger stage... pre-Steriod Era in Baseball... and I sure as hell already knew about steriods. Did I use them, no. Did others I was aware of, sure. Was it done because pro athletes did it... maybe in some respect, but not really... it was about being better, stronger, faster than your competition. FACT: Steriods work! Steriods are a sports problem, not a baseball problem. It is what it is, and it was what it was! They were used, probably abused, and at the "pro" level, they probably were being used not by the minority... but rather the vast, vast majority. Some guys may have had monster numbers, but I certainly also believe so many probably used that it actually still created an even playing field. To not vote in Roger Clemens & Barry Bonds, neither of which I particularly care for but recognize as all-time greats (even before the Steriod Era)... well, to me I see that as simply irresponsible. This might get me some bashing, but it's something that's been in my mind for years... given my knowledge of roids when I played sports, in a time before the defined Steriod Era in baseball... clearly, roids were around in plenty... there was a pretty darn good pitcher still dominant in his late 30's, early 40's! Like all these guys, I have ZERO proof, but now I'm pretty darn inclined to also believe that Nolan Ryan was also probably a PED user! Seems like a stretch, I know... but IS IT???

3) The BBWA now wants to play moral/character police! Their very first induction class... All World DB Ty Cobb took home a larger percentage of votes than Babe Ruth!

4) JMO, but I think any DB BBWA member that simply returned a blank ballot should have his BBWA credentials revoked. It's just stupid, and spits in the face of the entire process. To say you couldn't find one person on that ballot, of at least 6-10 seriously deserving of consideration, to give a single vote... that is d-baggery at it's finest! I don't think the process needs an overhaul, but I would suggest one change. Instead of allowing a blank ballot return... give them the option, Yes vote for 1-to-10 names OR check the box that says "I deem no candidates worthy of Hall of Fame induction". Anything completely blank, like this year, is tossed out and not counted... and... When the results are posted, the HOF comittee also posted the Name & Affiliation of all voters who returned a ballot with the "No Candidates" box checked.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I am glad. I want it to be tougher to get into. >>

+2
  • Options
    perhaps the day will come when there are enough ballplayers with credentials and no votes to create a Major League Island of Misfit Toys.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had the opinion that Biggio & Bagwell might have gotten in this year. But you know what, my opinion doesn't matter, as it shouldn't. In fact, no one person's opinion matters, not even a BBWAA voter. What does matter is 75% of voters that vote for the same person. That is why, no matter what your opinion is, this system works. If your player is not in the HOF, it's because 75% did not vote for him & he does not deserve to be there, at least not yet. If a player is in the HOF, than he deserves to be there because 75% voted for him. A few voters can be wrong, but not 75%! >>

This logic baffles me!!!

Not Yet logic?!?!?! So, a guy retired for X number of years... deserves to be in the HOF 3, 4, 5 years down the road... but not this year???

Barry Bonds... I don't like the guy, actually despise him (mostly as a human being, not a ball player)... is a Hall of Famer if there ever has been one on the ballot in my lifetime. Clemens, don't like him either, but I don't despise him like I do Bonds... but, DITTO!

If they ever get in, which I'm almost certain they will... what was the point of their exclusion this year (forget the fact they weren't even close to 75%, which is idiotic to say the least)??? The BBWA members made a statement??? What statement??? If they ever let them in, which I believe they will, tells me the only statement they made in 2012/13 was that they felt it was their right to act "above" the game of baseball... the very game that gave them the opportunity (not "right") to be a part of the selection process to determine the best players (not people, the HOF is already filled with jerks, racists, drug users, cheaters, etc.) in the history of the game!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I had the opinion that Biggio & Bagwell might have gotten in this year. But you know what, my opinion doesn't matter, as it shouldn't. In fact, no one person's opinion matters, not even a BBWAA voter. What does matter is 75% of voters that vote for the same person. That is why, no matter what your opinion is, this system works. If your player is not in the HOF, it's because 75% did not vote for him & he does not deserve to be there, at least not yet. If a player is in the HOF, than he deserves to be there because 75% voted for him. A few voters can be wrong, but not 75%! >>

This logic baffles me!!!

Not Yet logic?!?!?! So, a guy retired for X number of years... deserves to be in the HOF 3, 4, 5 years down the road... but not this year???

Barry Bonds... I don't like the guy, actually despise him (mostly as a human being, not a ball player)... is a Hall of Famer if there ever has been one on the ballot in my lifetime. Clemens, don't like him either, but I don't despise him like I do Bonds... but, DITTO!

If they ever get in, which I'm almost certain they will... what was the point of their exclusion this year (forget the fact they weren't even close to 75%, which is idiotic to say the least)??? The BBWA members made a statement??? What statement??? If they ever let them in, which I believe they will, tells me the only statement they made in 2012/13 was that they felt it was their right to act "above" the game of baseball... the very game that gave them the opportunity (not "right") to be a part of the selection process to determine the best players (not people, the HOF is already filled with jerks, racists, drug users, cheaters, etc.) in the history of the game! >>

There is no shame in being baffled!!!

IMO, Players are partly measured by how long it takes them to be inducted. A 1st rounder is probably better than a guy who makes it in his last round or is voted in by the VC. This can also help us compare players of different eras, at least to a degree. That is the logic behind why a player might be voted in a few years from now & not this year.

You, along with others, make a good case on why Bonds & Clemens should have been voted in this year. Unfortunely, you are not of the majority and only about 37% of the BBWAA voters agree with you. There are 2 sides to this debate and about 63% of the voters think there is some reason to keep them out. Also, don't be so sure they will ever get into the Hall. Both McGwire & Palmeiro's votes are going downward as each year passes.

• Options

<< <i>I thought Biggio would get in as well.

What I never understood was the "well he's not a 1st ballot HOF'er" and then put him in the next year. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Either you are a HOF'r or your not. I agree, a lot of the writers are a bunch of tools.

Mark >>

Was thinking the same thing today. 3000 hits should be in.

Is it safe to say that the veterans committee in 15 yrs. will be comprised of players from the steroid era? Allowing all the questionable players in.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with the entire PED issue that some overlook is the fact that over the course of time when none of the players that were either caught using, or were associated with PED's get into the HoF, the HoF becomes a blur regarding the statistics. You will have some of the biggest statistical leaders in Homeruns, RBI's, Wins, etc.. not getting in to keep the stats even. It used to be that once you won 300 games you got in, or 500 homeruns you got in. It makes the HoF look stupid. Out of the top 10 Homerun leaders, over time you will have Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, etc.. not in the HoF. Its rediculous.... The records become obscured, the hall becomes a joke.

Take just Barry Bonds for instance...7x MVP, all time HR leader, single season HR leader, Walks leader, etc... and he has several other records and he is not in the HoF.

It is a much larger problem for the HoF over time, and I believe that sooner or later, the Hall is going to have to take a stand and let some of these Guys in. IMHO, if you use, you loose. This 30 game suspension, 60 game suspension or whatever doesn't work. If baseball said enough is enough and said 1x only you get caught juicing, you are done...lifetime ban! Put a list of OTC drugs & prescription drugs out you can safely take and be done with it.

But again over time the HoF becomes unbalanced and a statistical joke.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The voters really dropped the ball, in my humble opinion. They were chomping at the bit to make a statement, yet they failed to make the biggest one of all: sending a guy like Craig Biggio through the HOF doors in a year like this one. Am I 1,000% he stayed clean throughout? Of course not. But what I do know (I live in Houston) is that neither his body type nor the teammate/person he was changed over the course of his entire career. I can't recall a single time when his name was sullied, and I've heard enough positive stories to last me a lifetime. If he ever attempted to circumvent the rules, my emotions would run the gamut. Honestly, I wouldn't know anything anymore. As for the statistical requirements? Suffice it to say, he met them. There is no legitimate reason why he should be forced to wait another year, and as a result there will be an enthralling ceremony this summer with no living inductee.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steroids are cheating. Period.

I weigh more then Jose Canseco did when he came into the minor leagues and if you put me next to Jose at his peak I would look like I am from Ethiopia.

No one can convince me that you do not have dramatically more power and bat speed with much larger muscles.

To transform your body from in his case 175 pounds to 255 pounds is not possible without anabolic steroids.

I played baseball for many years and one of the things that held me back was size and power. If you had added 30 pounds of muscle to me those long doubles that bounced against the fence would have soared past it for a home run.

All you have to do is see the major decline in the number of home runs since the scandal truly broke. I turn on the TV sometimes and watch a game for a little while and once more the players are returning to an average build of 175 pounds to 210 pounds. You don't see a lot of monsters anymore.

Just look at the older baseball cards many collect on this board and compare the physiques to cards from the mid 80's, then the late 80's, the 90's and the early 2000's. If you turn over cards from the mid 80's you will find Barry Bonds weighed 180 at 6'4, Don Mattingly 175, Jose Canseco 185, Mark McGwire 190. It is not humanly possible to gain that much muscle as an adult without help and it is no coincidence that their home run totals and RBI totals exploded.

(Mattingly was just used an example of a great player from the mid 80's)

All of these players were very good and steroids do not magically make you great but there is no doubt there numbers are dramatically inflated and in my opinion you can't even begin to compare 700+ home runs from Barry Bonds to Hank Aaron.

Pete Rose is arguably one of the best baseball players ever. He gambled on baseball and he is out. I think it should be the same for known steroid users. They actually altered the outcomes of the games and I think it is great that the Hall of Fame voters spoke. They do not deserve to be held in such high esteem.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How does Biggio not get in? A 3000 hit club member who TMK was not associated with PEDs. The writers are a joke. Holier than thou, elitist a-holes if you ask me. >>

Does defense matter? Since he played the majority of his career at key defensive positions and all. Save that venom for guys who were completely jobbed like Whitaker and Bobby Grich (both comparable to Biggio). At least in their case, unlike Biggio, they weren't among, if not the worst defensive 2b ever. -67 fielding runs below the average 2B. Add in his stint as a horrendous catcher - opponents stole 140 bases in 169 tries (82.8% success rate) off of him...and he happened to be a terrible OFer (-36 Defensive Runs Saved) as well. 3000 hits doesn't do much for me when you played for 20 years including hanging around for 2 years past his expiration date - when he absolutely killed the Astros with his 246/.306/.422 & .251/.285/.381 to achieve 3000 hits. What really matters with Biggio is nearly 300 HRs, 668 2Bs, 1800 runs, +54 runs from baserunning, and a 1997 season (+9.3 WAR) that should have earned him more than a 4th place MVP vote. PEDs aside, he's deserving. but so were Grich and Whitaker....both rank ahead of Biggio in career WAR btw, Plus Alomar and Sandberg didn't get in on the first ballot either. >>

I agree that an argument can be made for Whitaker....But Bobby Grich? I gotta give ya a "Come on man!" on that one.

Grich was a nice player, and fan favorite, but not even close to being a HOFer IMO.

• Options

<< <i> It is not humanly possible to gain that much muscle as an adult without help and it is no coincidence that their home run totals and RBI totals exploded.

>>

No arguing that steroids are cheating and many very valid points your post. I would only say that an adult male whose job it is to train and perform on the athletic field can easily add 30-40 lbs of lean mass over the course of a career. There have been tremendous strides in nutrition and supplimentation over the last few decades. Strength and conditioning training has likewise evolved. These guys have access to the best trainers on the planet. I wouldn't point to size increases since the 70's as evidence, although Bonds' swollen skull makes me think HGH and insulin were involved.
  • Options

<< <i>They do not deserve to be held in such high esteem. >>

that's one of the funniest things i've ever read here, and it's no reflection on you personally, but it's insidious to make such a statement after a period of time in which some of these men were held in the HIGHEST POSSIBLE ESTEEM during their playing days and record-setting performances....it's hypocritical to say now that they aren't worthy of esteem, respect, whatever, you don't just turn your back on your favorite source of entertainment once a different discovery gets exposed about them and they no longer fit the mold. stupid.

we loved watching the McGwire/Sosa battles, the Bonds home run chase, the Clemens comebacks, the televised madness, ESPN, Fox, etc.

what's different now? so they didn't win the Popularity Contest. they're all filthy rich and memorable. seriously, who's winning?

a bit of Kinks to sum it up.....i'm not a defender of the roiders, i love the game itself. but i can't stand hypocrisy.

Hey, hey, hey...
    Give the people what they want

Well, it's been said before, the world is a stage
    A different performance with every age.
    Open the history book to any old page
    Bring on the lions and open the cage.

Give the people what they want
    You gotta give the people what they want
    The more they get, the more they need
    And every time they get harder and harder to please

The Roman promoters really did things right.
    They needed a show that would clearly excite.
    The attendance was sparse so they put on a fight
    Threw the Christians to the lions, sold out every night......

• Options
    You have no grounds to call me a hypocrite. You don't know what my opinion was on this topic in the time frame discussed.

When the home runs started flying off the bats I said the entire time that these guys were roiding and in a big way. All you had to do was look at them.

I have worked out with weights for a long time and NO ONE can put on 80 pounds of muscle as an adult without help.

There is no doubt that their have been advancements in training and suppliments but lets face it the ones that have been proven to work were actually steroids and get removed from the shelves.

There are freaks of nature like the Brock Lesnar's who were larger then everyone their age from grade school but tall lanky men do not transform their bodies in such a manner ever. Do a search for some of the old wrestlers such as Ivan Putski or Lex Luger and see what they look like now.

I will say it again they cheated. Whether or not the public or card collectors or sports writers thought highly of them is irrelavent.

Is it any coincidence that as you get older they lengthen the fence in little league baseball? Of course not.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    The Hall is already filled with cheaters.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    DP, i wrote that it's no reflection on you personally, and i'm certain that you have formulated your own opinion. i respect that and i have no grounds to label you.

to clarify, i believe that the court of public opinion has failed, in general, to establish proper grounds by which these choices can be made.

the hypocrisy rests at the feet of those who smothered and drooled over their heroes, took advantage of every opportunity to profit by their accomplishments, and now stand for righteousness and purity as it suits their needs.

no offense intended, fellow poster. all good. image
  • Options
    Cool image