Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1954 Parkhurst WRESTLING: Master Set of 137 cards, Huge upgrades

There are two versions of 62 of the 75 cards in the 1954 Parkhurst set, the cards have biography backs with text (75)and 62 of those biography back cards have a lucky premium back parallel version. The collector at the time could send in the card with a lucky premium back and money for a prize. Most wrestling collectors that I have come across seem to like the biography backs better although they are not as rare since the only identifiable information on the cards is from the back of the card. In slabs they seem to have equal value as the flip will ID the wrestler. The front of the cards only have a number and no name. I am missing only one card with a biography back (Johnny Barend) in a PSA slab. So there are 137 cards total to complete the run. There has been 11 cards in my quest that have not been graded by PSA to date. This will make my quest really fun as obviously this has never been accomplished to date. I had starting collecting the Lucky Premium backs earlier this year so I am just 29 cards away from my quest. I will update this thread as I go along and make additions to my set. PSA added the master set online today.

Thanks for reading,
Rob
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Sounds fun! Best of luck. Any reason why all 75 didn't have a Lucky Premium back?
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea why each card did not have a parallel version..... makes it fun though to seek out these cards and try to do this. The Parkhurst cards are very tough to find in great shape.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    This thread is useless without scans.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no idea why each card did not have a parallel version..... makes it fun though to seek out these cards and try to do this. The Parkhurst cards are very tough to find in great shape. >>

How do you know for sure which back variations exist?
  • Options
    Well for the most part each card has a parallel Lucky Premium back version, there is the possibility that more Lucky Premium backs exists than the 62 but after years of research these are the only ones that I can confirm. I have collected these cards for a long time and this is the best list that I have so far. If there is a LP back that appears than my list will grow with it. It appears that Parkhurst did this for the hockey cards in the same era where each card did not have a Lucky Premium back. I used to think that I would try for a set of all Lucky Premiums but that appears to be fruitless and impossible.

PS Scans will come!
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PS Scans will come! >>

Good luck on the challenge, this is definitely a wrestling set I wouldn't mind seeing.
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Good luck. You just opened up a can of worms, but it would be the ultimate wrestling set.

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    Good news, I got some poppage last night and knocked off seven of the cards that I needed so I am already down from 29 to 22. I added 7 Lucky Premium backs to the lot. I'll add the scans and the cards when they come in from PSA.
  • Options
    Collecting the prizes to go along with the set would be interesting too. From that one scan it looks like a girls watch. Did each card that had a LP have the same LP back? Or could you get several different LP backs for each card? That would be the ultimate Master Set.

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Collecting the prizes to go along with the set would be interesting too. From that one scan it looks like a girls watch. Did each card that had a LP have the same LP back? Or could you get several different LP backs for each card? That would be the ultimate Master Set. >>

Good question!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Rob..It is a great accompplishment where you are right now. Someone must have a hoard somewhere in nice shape (none reported) in Canada but until then I enjoy seeing your adventure. Tom
  • Options
    I do not think there are multiple prizes per wrestler with different LP backs.....
  • Options
    How many different kinds of LP backs are there? How many different kinds of prizes could you win?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Rob ... what a kewl idea to work on the Master Set. Best of luck and keep the scans coming when you obtain a new card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Here are the prizes

Note: Cards have two versions of backs: "Biography" and "Lucky Premium" backs. Four different "Lucky Premium" backs feature send-in offer. By mailing card and payment (to: "Mr. Parkies" Box 3401, Terminal "H", Toronto, Ontario (Canada)) - one could receive the following items: Flash Camera ($3.75), Girl's wrist watch ($5.95), Boy's wrist watch ($5.95), or Giant field glass ($2).
  • Options
    Thanks Tom. For those of you who do not know, Tom has an amazing set of 1954 Parkies as well that he retired. It has a GPA that would take much effort to top. The cool thing about these is that even a person with a lot of money would have a hard time putting together a set since the supply of mid grade cards just isn't there. There has been only one 9 and never a 10 for over the 500 plus cards that have been graded. A 5 is very, very good.
  • Options
    It will be awesome to follow your progress! Thanks for all the info on the set.
  • Options
    There were two lots on ebay with four cards each of 1954 Parkhurst with 7 Lucky Premium Backs and the one bio back I need and it looks as though there could have been cards to help me condition wise. Both lots were listed after I had communicated with the seller via email and all eight cards were possibilities for my collection. Well, I get emails this morning showing that my bids on the two lots were cancelled and an email saying that he got an offer localy that was too good to pass up and he was taking the offer. How frustrating!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Rob. That does sound very frustrating. These are hard to come by obviously.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about that too! Sounds like it’s a popular set with some other folks as well. I wish there were repercussions for pulling auctions.
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess that is the equivalent to a bidder retracting their bid. Bad part is that he put those auctions after I gave him my want list and he made those lots for me. Oh well. It makes for a story to share when I end up reaching 100% complete.
  • Options
    That is insane! It makes it even worse. You'll get there for sure though.
  • Options
    Just a few stats from the 1954 Parkhurst set, 563 graded to date and only 16 8's and one 9. Only three 7.5s. For my master set, I need 137 cards when there has been less than 600 graded to date. May have a lead for some high grade material that I hope pans out.
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Rob,

It may be time to retire it soon!! lol
  • Options
    I do not believe in retirement :-) I want to raise the bar as high as possible :-)
  • Options
    Picked up a set and found a few cards that could fit the master set, most were borderline gradeable so I will keep them and hope to get better before sending a batch to PSA. There are some of the cards on my wantlist that I do not own in any grade yet so obviously those are targets right now.
  • Options
    Awesome. At this rate you'll be done by the end of the year!
  • Options
    I ended up getting caught up in my scanning and have all my 1954 Parkhurst master set to date scanned 115 of 137 and my 1955 set 117 of 121 scanned on the set registry. I am just waiting on a few purchases of LP backs and another Parkhurst set to pick through to sub some cards to PSA.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Looks like there are a lot of T9s on eBay... will that be your next set? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    I do not know what this means........
  • Options
    I have a few on their way to Newport Beach as of today....cannot wait to see what happens....my wantlist will shrink :-)
  • Options
    Rob any highlights in the batch?
  • Options
    Yes, I am very excited about LP backs of Gorgeous George and Bobo Brazil. Those could be a highlight for sure. I should knock off seven out of the 22 on my wantlist inching me closer to 90% complete. I am only missing two LP backs for a master set but some of the cards should not be sent into PSA so I need more than that. I think I may have a nice Argentina Rocca in there as well. I had the new Parkhurst set in my hands for just one night before I shipped these of to PSA, exciting stuff. I also will be slabbing my first LP back of Verne Gagne which I am stoked about. We will see...probably just as exciting as anything is that I sent in cards where my current best is a PSA 5. It looks as though my top rated 1954 Parkhurst set will raise the bar even higher for someone to overtake me in the future. I think I have a few winners in here!!!
  • Options
    That is great news!

It sounds like that higher priced set was worth it.

• Options
    I'll keep the upgrades and offer up my previous best cards to market....there are very few available and hardly any graded so it will be interesting to see what I will get for Gorgeous George, Bobo Brazil and Verne Gagne in solid grades for this tough issue......
  • Options
    Very nice. How close do you think you'll be after the grades pop?
  • Options
    Gorgeous George was my favorite guy growing up. I used to watch Classic Wrestling on Bloomberg TV in the late 70s.

I'd post a pic (this thread could use several). But I only have one card from this set.

Cool thread, needs pics.
  • Options
    I'll add pics as I get the new ones in. I do have all cards scanned in to date on the set registry. I just need some help in posting the link here. I saw your post of your Gorgeous George in another thread. It is a tough card to find in decent condition. It made me happy seeing another collector with that card. It has a green arrow on the new online SMR :-)
  • Options

<< <i> I saw your post of your Gorgeous George in another thread. It is a tough card to find in decent condition. It made me happy seeing another collector with that card. It has a green arrow on the new online SMR :-) >>

Well thats the thing.. condition means nothing f r really great cards. You can pull the tape off and ignore the rounded corners... Gorgeous George will always be be gorgeous. image
  • Options
    I am going to post the cards I sent in on this sub, I sent in bio and LP backs of both Verne Gagne (my first LP back of Gagne, a huge card for me and recent purchase) and the Mills Brothers.

LP backs that I sent in include Gorgeous George, Bobo Brazil, Wee Willie Davis (never graded), Frank Sexton (never graded), Roberto Pico and Wild Bill Longson (never graded).

I also sent in biography backs of cards that I only have them in PSA 5. These wrestlers include Johnny Barend (my last bio back to have complete 75 card set in bio backs), Dirty Dick Raines, Frank Valois, Tim Geohagen, Maurice Tillet, Bill Stack, Argentina Rocca, Yvon Robert, Joe Christie, Wladek Kowalski (have a good one but thought someone may like a Killer Kowalski RC in nice shape), Athol Layton, and Mike Sharpe.

I have more here that I am looking through here this morning. May wait for a better special or send in on a bulk special.
  • Options
    This is a cool set for sure.

Parkhurst
  • Options
    I finally got loggage and soon will have some knocked off my wantlist and will add them to the set where DPeck posted the link to my set.
  • Options
    knocked out six more off my wantlist with my most recent sub and down to 16 total, I have two cards under my current threshold of a PSA 4 for the Lucky Premium backs but they are of Argentina Rocca and Verne Gagne so I am okay with that for now. My current mission is to complete this set first as I can always upgrade later. I am at 88% complete and as of now there is not much distance between this set and the highest possible. I'll scan some of my most recent addtions from PSA once they are received in the mail. They should be shipped out today and since I am in California I hope to get them Saturday.
  • Options
    Here are a few highlights of my last sub

• Options
    Very nice! I hope 2013 is the year you knock out these last 16.
  • Options
    Thanks! I have another one in the mail that is very nice and have some raw that are low grade. I am hoping to get a few more nice ones before completing the set. I could not complete the set even if I wanted to right now but I do have a stack of raw that I could grade if need be to fill most of the set. I am going to exhaust my resources before slabbing them though.
  • Options
    On Tsalems Canada trip he found a Lucky Premium back card of Joe Christie and it was one I needed as I just had a bio back of him in PSA 5 and a lower raw card of Chrisitie in an LP back so I did not pass this one up.......

Only 15 more to go!

• Options
    I got some poppage yesterday and was able to add a few fillers for now. One of the key cards is a Primo Carnera and I got the first one ever graded and it was a 3, not the best but it is the first one ever graded and a key card so I am okay with it. I also got a PSA 4 for a Selassi and Little Beaver card. This is the rookie of Little Beaver and the first Lucky Premium back ever graded and for these Lucky Premium backs I am okay with a PSA 4 for now since they are so hard to find. I am up to 90% complete and on the lookout for those 13 other cards!
  • Options
    Not much progress to report but a friend of mine on the registry was able to help me out and it should be in the mailbox tomorrow or Thursday....I am going to be adding one and upgrading one from a PSA 5 to a PSA 6. It is really cool that he would sell and swap out his 6 for my 5 as he is going to go after the Lucky Premium backs that I currently need in the near future. For example, I have sold him cards I have in my second 1954 Parkhurst set despite my being 90% complete as it has helped him improve the GPA of his best set and now he is willing to sell the LP backs to me since I am getting close to completing it first. It is awesome to work collaboratively together to advance your sets even when it may hurt your status for the short-term. It's great to know you have each other's backs! Plus, I had a work conference a few weeks ago and got to meet this collector when I was in Denver, CO. This is what makes the hobby truly enjoyable. I'll post the additions when they come in.

The one I am adding is a PSA 5 and the first one that has ever been graded!!!
  • Options
    First one graded and meets my criteria for being in excellent condition........

[URL=http://s848.photobucket.com/user/wrestlingcardking/media/bigheart5_zps1e123970.jpg.html]image[/URL]