Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stack's Bowers Wins @ Baltimore

So what have you won? Are you there, on the phone, have a buddy bidding proxy, or at the house pounding away at the keyboard like me? What have you missed out on? Are you happy or kicking yourself?

I bid on four coins today and won one.......kicking myself over loosing another.

Paid more than I would have liked....not even a real big coin either......still happy to get it.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I think I won the 1852 Anhalt Bernburg Taler in the earlier world session this morning, mintage of 10,000, reasonably nice crust on it.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

pcgs pop 1/0

ngc pop 4/3

Krause indicates 41,000 struck but were recalled and melted

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    I think I won the 1852 Anhalt Bernburg Taler in the earlier world session this morning, mintage of 10,000, reasonably nice crust on it
    You almost had to pay more. I was very close to getting in on the bidding.
  • Options
    RodebaughRodebaugh Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    Nice

Keep um coming fellas. Love to see what the CU members are buying.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real happy about this one as not a single example of this variety has been available in 4 years image

1837 Liberty - Not One Cent. Low-36, HT-51. Rarity-2. Copper. MS-62 RB (NGC).

A big thanks to member Exojunkie for backing off as he figured I might be bidding on it image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought lot 3008, 1810/09 S-281 PCGS AU58:

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1852 Taler is really cool image

I bid on several in the auction, but won zero of them!! Oh well!!! At least I did my part and made others pay extra for their coins image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't look at that beautifully toned 1852 Anhalt Bernburg Taler without adding something beer related.

Massachusetts--Boston. Undated (1870s) Reuter & Alley Highland Springs Brewery. Rulau Ma-Bo E95. Brass. VF-30.

Description: Deep olive-gold with lighter golden highlights throughout. Obverse with company's information, reverse with crossed shovel, broom, and hops net, initials interspersed between. Not noticeably marked and conservatively graded on our part. A rare item that Dr. Benjamin Wright referred to as "One of the rarest American cards" circa 1900.

My research as this token is actually AU and may very well be the 1989 ex Gilbert Steinberg example.

Designed with the brewery tools of the trade crossed... a broom, a malt spade, and a shovels. These have long mystified token collectors, as this token was thought to have been pre-Hard Times period, then Hard Times Era, however more recent information has placed its date of issue in the 1860's-1870’s. This re-dating does not affect its status as one of the classic rarities in the field.

This is a great Massachusetts rarity that was called by Dr. H.B.P. Wright in his 1898 list of American Store/Business Cards in the American Numismatic Association - Numismatist Vol. 13 stated "I consider this one of the rarest American cards".

Dr. Wright also wrote articles between 1899-1901 seeking additional information on this token and received no response.

It was first plated beyond a line drawing in am issue of the 1914 Numismatist "A Very Rare Boston Store Card - Above is illustrated a very rare store card which was issued at Boston Mass., by the Highland Spring Brewery, but about which very little information is now obtainable, Dr. H,B.P. Wright, in his list of American Store Cards published in the Numismatist some years ago considered it one of the rarest American store cards. We would be pleased if one of our members would give us some information regarding the piece, which will be published in the the numismatist." Again no further information was provided.
    Info from 1914 to date...

1920 Edgar H. Adams "U.S. Store Cards" called Excessively Rare non plated.

1940 Wayte Raymond "United States Coins and Tokens" (Wayte doesn't use the wording Rare until tokens are above R-6 on the rarity scale) called Very Rare line drawing supplied.

1975 David E. Schenckman stated a Very Rare Boston store card.

1981 Russell Rulau "United States Trade Tokens 1866-1889" Ex. Rare priced at $1,200.00 in VF with no pricing info above that grade.

Researching all major exonumia auction catalogs back to the 1980's I've only been able to trace 3 examples.

There's lots of info which can be found on this obsolete brewery on the web, here's just a touch...

Brewing started as the Henry H. Reuter & John R. Alley Highland Spring Brewery in 1867. By 1872 the facility was reported to be the largest brewery in the US. It was one of the first to add refrigerating equipment and in 1876 their ale won first prize at The Philadelphia Centennial Exposition.

I've been doing some additional research since I previously posted my copper Reuter & Alley / Highland Springs Brewery token. As I have recently obtained all of Benjamin P. Wright, M.D.'s 1898 to 1901 ANA Numismatist writings on American Store Business Cards. Dr. Wright considered this token Rarity-8 (2 or 3 known) and valued it at $35.00 around the turn of the century. (For value data gold was $18.00 an ounce)

Edgar Adam's in his 1920 works did not post pricing, however Donald Miller in 1962 valued this token at $350.00 in Fine condition. (For value data gold was $35.00 an ounce)

And a neat write up in Julian Liedman's April 1986 Bowers & Merana / PCAC sale catalog.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I bid on a common Capped Bust Dime in PCGS MS without the CAC approval. My bid was full PCGS suggested retail, since I needed the year for my Registry set. The winning bid was 175% of PCGS retail. Go figure.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the beer advertisement- very nice

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I bid on a common Capped Bust Dime in PCGS MS without the CAC approval. My bid was full PCGS suggested retail, since I needed the year for my Registry set. The winning bid was 175% of PCGS retail. Go figure. >>

WOW that is a strong price for that date and that coin. Then again the OGH holder may have helped the bidding a bit!

I'm sure you'll find a nice high-end AU sooner or later. Your collection seems to be built on patience and you have some
    fantastic pieces to admire so far image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I broke my rule and bid on a couple of coins that I've had hard time finding based on the pictures. I got them both for less than my maximum bids, which were based on "discounted" retail numbers (More than Gray Sheet, but less than the PCGS and other retail price guides.). I'll see how that works out. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite pickup was this piece. It was a nice upgrade to my slabbed VF and just a beautiful piece of copper IMO:

New Jersey--Belleville. Undated (1837) T.D. Seaman. Low-155, HT-204B. Rarity-5. Copper. EF-45 BN (NGC).

S-B Description: Bold deep copper features with good definition to the devices despite the presence of overall light wear. There are no singularly distracting blemishes, and the eye appeal is strong for a circulated survivor of this very elusive store card from the Hard Times era.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    You all have fancy newps already. My lots don't open until this afternoon. image
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You all have fancy newps already. My lots don't open until this afternoon. >>

Ditto. Looking at some nice pieces of MA silver...image
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won several Indian Peace Medals even though I didn't really want them. The prices in this sale for that series were FAR below any other prices I have on record in any sale over the past 10 years. Yes, there's some risk to bidding from pictures. At some point, you take the risk.

• Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭

Ed
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

image >>

Now you got a nice one there
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Thank you.
    Ed
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I have to say about my friend, Broadstruck: he is very through. He knows the in's and out's
    of every piece he bids on - there are no surprises when he bids. He sets his sights - has studied the piece
    from rim to rim and both sides back and forth. I truly admire his love of the hobby. I have never had such
    devotion as this man has. He's a true student of numismatics. Way to go there, B/S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, yeah... i did get a newp for my 1889 Date Set - this variety has escaped me in MS:

DDR - PCGS 65+ - CAC - Fortin-106 - FS 801 - R3

imageimage

This coin will now reside next to this 1889 Dime...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just Adopted another Baby, imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Just Adopted another Baby >>

What Wood # is that? image
  • Options
    I think you all did very well. Some nice material here.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    I picked up this Baby Head last night:
    imageimage
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid way too much for this, but it puts a nice cap on my Pine Tree type set (threepence, sixpence, large and small planchet shillings). I was having trouble with the online bidding on some of the earlier examples - the auctioneer was moving way too fast for internet connections (the woman auctioneer on the earlier session allowed much more time for online bids to execute (i.e "fair warning, last call...pause...Sold"). So I hurriedly put a nuclear pre-bid on it and the bidding mysteriously got run all the way up to my bid. Anyway, here it is:

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I picked up this Baby last night:
    image >>

Looks like the Friday the 13th Part VII "Dagger to Head" Variety

I am active on one coin and hope to win it today.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous S-281, rays. Is that an upgrade?
  • Options
    C'mon flip your new baby over ! These are beautiful coins with exceptionally fine die engraving. The reverse on my NewP shows the fringe down near the powder horns. One thing I find most interesting it is the only "common" Vermont that dies not show and progressive or sudden die failure. Very strange.....and explained only by the stoppage of the coining run of these and their replacement by the Ryder 10,and Ryder 11 and 15. I believe the Baby Head die was made in New York by William Coley at or around the same time he done the Landscape dies. The legislation allowing the new design of the bust/seated figure passed on October 24 1786 and the "baby head " die was on hand. Shortly thereafter (weeks) William Buell arrived with the George II bust and seated and dated reverse figure hubs, I think 14 year old William whose father Able, who made the hubs...had trained the young man and it was he who created the bust left George II working dies, in addition to also working at the Rupert Mint.... He might have been "the boy in the pit" who placed the planchets on the die and then swept them off into the pit after the screw went up. (geez you know Franklin half collectors miss out on ALL thus cool stuff image )
  • Options

<< <i>Gorgeous S-281, rays. Is that an upgrade? >>

Yes I now have an extra PCGS 40 coin I bought last summer
    Prolly consign it to Tom Reynolds
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was very happy to acquire this 1867 dime in NCG PF66 star Cameo:

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I picked up this Baby Head last night:
    imageimage >>

Congrats on that one! I liked it, and might have bought it but had to make some choices along the way.
  • Options

<< <i>I paid way too much for this, but it puts a nice cap on my Pine Tree type set (threepence, sixpence, large and small planchet shillings). I was having trouble with the online bidding on some of the earlier examples - the auctioneer was moving way too fast for internet connections (the woman auctioneer on the earlier session allowed much more time for online bids to execute (i.e "fair warning, last call...pause...Sold"). So I hurriedly put a nuclear pre-bid on it and the bidding mysteriously got run all the way up to my bid. Anyway, here it is:

image >>

Nothing mysterious about the bidding - all of these had a lot of active interest in the room and if you wanted one you had to pay up.
  • Options
    John why do you think they failed to note the bend in that coin as described in the Roper Catalog? BTW not naysaying the coin one iota ...one of the few to show the lower left wheat sheaf fully struck up, as well as the strange facial profile on the "Genius of America" on the reverse. Again I chuckle as I recall Famed Vermont Collsctod Roy Bonjour who penned an article (found on CNLF archive) in which he proposed that the Baby Head die was the handiwork of 14 year old William Buell, rather that Willam Coley who done the landscapes.....wHAT was that man SmOkInG?? He had some gnarly specimens and obviously never examined in detail at least this coin or the one I purchased. This is clearly a superior quality die work *indeed it's uncracked unfailing long life* sets it head and shoulders over all other varieties. ~~ too bad that copper was so poorly created. If they had access to some of the nice pure smooth stock of Machins Mills (which came about after this coin was minted and far away).....If the planchets were normal the numismatic history might have been different. But, Vermont Collectors enjoy Rustic so they are ALL Beautiful image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I paid way too much for this, but it puts a nice cap on my Pine Tree type set (threepence, sixpence, large and small planchet shillings). I was having trouble with the online bidding on some of the earlier examples - the auctioneer was moving way too fast for internet connections (the woman auctioneer on the earlier session allowed much more time for online bids to execute (i.e "fair warning, last call...pause...Sold"). So I hurriedly put a nuclear pre-bid on it and the bidding mysteriously got run all the way up to my bid. Anyway, here it is:

image >>

Nothing mysterious about the bidding - all of these had a lot of active interest in the room and if you wanted one you had to pay up. >>

Agreed. Lots of bids on just about every lot. And all of that bidding is why it took nearly 9 hours to sell slightly less than 1000 lots.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>John why do you think they failed to note the bend in that coin as described in the Roper Catalog? >>

I too saw that description in the Roper catalog, but I have no idea if it was true, or if it was the cataloger's imagination back then. It didn't look bent at all in the current sale to me, and that's all that matters.

I liked the color and relatively hard, non-porous surface quality. Yes, there were a few planchet flaws, but without those this is much, much more expensive coin.

• Options
    The smooth brown copper is pure eye candy. The flaws aren't in important areas, they just add to the "vermontness"?of it. One thing really jumping at me here right now in this thread is to do a comparison of my coin lot 6626 pictured here and the Roper specimen. It's VERY interesting to compare both coins on one point, and that is the shoulder and bust base, the surfaces here, and how on both coins we see an abrupt change in device/fields. The devices are smooth, the fields overall granular at high enlargement I see my coin as an overall light corrosion but it appears the fields, per the Roper coin, have a distinct die surface granularity, in fact I think I see die polish scratches on the Roper coin! II think what I'm trying to visualize if the field granularity on both coins was caused by the die or the planchet surface. I need more coffee
  • Options
    I have to admit I didn't do such a detailed analysis of the Roper Baby Head (lot 6091). I bought it because I always wanted one and it seemed the best I could reasonably find, especially for the price. It also filled the hole in my Colonial Registry Set for the "Vermont Copper Bust Right" example. Here's the picture of the coin taken by PCGS (on their Coinfacts website):
  • Options
    I think the lovely color is much better captured by the PCGS TrueView. I like it.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this Baby Head discussion even though the obverse still creeps me out. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    The last really nice Baby Head that sold was a VF with a perfect smooth planchet....that was 7500$ or so, and worth it. They SAY there are a few EF specimens out there but I can't seem to find any images anywhere online. You done JUST FINE filling the hole with coin. Enjoy it and I hope you hold it for your lifetime. PS that Baby I'm sure would "bean"
  • Options

<< <i>I'm enjoying this Baby Head discussion even though the obverse still creeps me out. MJ >>

The "baby head" motif or the planchet flaws?image

<< <i>PS that Baby I'm sure would "bean" >>

Getting my (raw) coins into PCGS holders has been challenging enough, haven't (yet) gotten into the CAC swing of things.
  • Options
    It's crazy what collecting the baby head does to you. I noticed physical changes after I bought three in one sale. Now, this picture from this morning shows what buying this really nice one has started doing. I'm nine inches shorter too...image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm enjoying this Baby Head discussion even though the obverse still creeps me out. MJ >>

The "baby head" motif or the planchet flaws?image >>

Yours is EXTRA creepyimage

Congrat's on your purchase as it is a very nice example. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>It's crazy what collecting the baby head does to you. I noticed physical changes after I bought three in one sale. Now, this picture from this morning shows what buying this really nice one has started doing. I'm nine inches shorter too...image >>

OK, now I'm getting creeped out.
  • Options
    >>

OK, now I'm getting creeped out. >>

I just threw up in my mouth. MJ
  • Options
    Rays check your PM I just sent you four pages from Tony Carlottos Book
  • Options
    I wonder who bought lot 6002, the NE Sixpence? Pretty spendy at $431K, but apparently great news to those who already own one. This has got to be one of the most valuable "genny" PCGS holdered coins out there.

Lot #6002. Undated (1652) Massachusetts Bay Colony NE Sixpence. Noe 1-A, W-10. Rarity-7. VF Details--Damage or Tooling (PCGS).

The Famed Long Island Potato Field NE Sixpence
    Featured in Ripley's Believe it or Not

Description: 31.8 grains. In a collection full of rarities and coins with great stories, this piece stands out. It was discovered in East Hampton, New York, at the eastern end of Long Island, in February 1990 by a metal dectorist. When it sold the following summer, the story made international news, and newspaper columnists across the country spilled ink on the joys of metal detecting. It was the most valuable coin ever found with a metal detector on American soil.

Eastern Long Island had more in common with New England than New York in the 17th century. The Connecticut River, just across the narrowest part of Long Island sound, was the main north-south thoroughfare into the interior of New England. It is no accident that an interstate parallels its path from Hartford to northern Vermont. The town at the mouth of the Connecticut River, Old Saybrook, was founded in the 1630s by a group led by John Winthrop, and Massachusetts held a firm grip on its commerce and governance for the better part of a century. It is no coincidence that, perhaps 20 miles away as the crow flies, this coin would turn up in that place.

It survived its time in the ground well, attracting a pleasing deep gray-brown patina over most of the obverse and reverse. A lighter area of silver is present near 8 o'clock on the obverse and directly beneath the NE punch, similar texture at central reverse. The punches are both good and strong, matching the other known specimens of Noe 1-A -- the only genuine variety of NE sixpence -- in both shape and depth. A long old scratch runs from 10 o'clock on the obverse rim past center to near 3 o'clock opposite on the obverse; two lighter scrapes parallel it at top. A thinner, newer scratch is present from center of obverse to 6:30 or so. The light reverse scrapes have now been laid subtle by the earthen patina on that side. The shape of the planchet is nearly round, about the same as other NE coinages, handcut to size and weight at the time. The weight is essentially full for the issue; the Garrett coin weighed 33.7 grains.

There are just eight examples known of this rarity, four of which are in museums: the ANS, the British Museum, the Massachusetts Historical Society, and the Newman Money Museum. The other surviving specimens are the Bushnell-Garrett piece, the Roper coin, the Lauder specimen, and this one. The Lauder coin, now in a well known Long Island collection, may be the best of them, though each has its issues. The Noe 2-B sixpence is a counterfeit of uncertain age; Ford's last sold for $13,800. As a denomination, an NE sixpence is multiple times rarer than an NE shilling, and it appears on the market at a rate even less frequent than its numerical rarity would suggest.

This particular specimen was added to the census of known specimens in February 1990, when Lillian Rade of East Hampton, Long Island found it in frozen ground with a metal detector. The find made national news, published in nearly every major American newspaper via wire services and even found a place in Ripley's Believe It or Not. It was auctioned by Sotheby's and purchased by Stack's for $35,200. It was the most valuable coin ever found in American soil with a metal detector at that point, since surpassed by the $41,400 realization for a Maryland denarium sold in our Stack's sale of August 2007. This rarity has been off the market for 21 years and will undoubtedly set a new record when it finds a new home.

PCGS# 12.

From the John "Jack" Royse Collection. Purchased from Stack's, privately. Earlier from Sotheby's sale of November 1991 at $35,200; discovered in the ground in East Hampton, Long Island by Lillian Rade in February 1990.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gorgeous S-281, rays. Is that an upgrade? >>

Yes I now have an extra PCGS 40 coin I bought last summer
    Prolly consign it to Tom Reynolds >>

ah, yes, that coin will go into the case of the "great to look at" stuff right next to the case where I usually browse image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file