Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the 2012 Silver Reverse Proof undervalued?

Comments

• Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    The PCGS Rev PF 70 FS maybe a sleeper now if a majority of Rev PF will not be shipped out by the USM by now which is the FS deadline , thus many will not qualify for PCGS FS. Comments......
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Final mintage will be lower than the 2006 RP. That coin in 69 is bringing ~300 and ~550 in 70. Oh, the proof is also a sleeper. Its gonna be at least 50K lower mintage than the 1994 which is $150 in 69 and thousands in 70. I don't expect 2012 to be as scarce in 70, but $300 doesn't seem unreasonable to expect.
  • Options
    ...forgot to add, if they're not FS, breaking even might be a challenge on the 69's. image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. Final mintage will be lower than the 2006 RP. >>

I find that hard to believe, with 150,000 supposedly mailed out from the first run in time to qualify for a FS designation. How did you come to your conclusion?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Is the 2012 Silver Reverse Proof undervalued? >>

I think the 2012 is fairly valued. The 2006 is overvalued at ~$200 in 69 and ~$400 in 70 (more for First Strikes).

On the other hand, the 2011 has barely 40% of the mintage of each of the other two, and is bringing only ~$250 for 69 and ~$450 for 70. This is the truly undervalued coin.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...forgot to add, if they're not FS, breaking even might be a challenge on the 69's. image >>

Sigh. One of the stupidest realities in numismatics.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Seems to me a lot of Mint Issues are undervalued for a period of time. Then the market catches up with the early speculation and special TPG descriptions. I just don't buy the stuff, but if I did, I would be interested only in flipping the coins. Regards, Mike
  • Options
    dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    I think the early releases could be especially undervalued because of this hurricane. I have a bunch of sets on their way to ngc now by ups with an expected delivery date of 8/28 but I am worried that they might be diverted because of weather. On a positive note, maybe I could get them in a special would have been early release if not for hurricane issac labels. Those things would be worth a fortune. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes. Final mintage will be lower than the 2006 RP. >>

I find that hard to believe, with 150,000 supposedly mailed out from the first run in time to qualify for a FS designation. How did you come to your conclusion? >>

The counter showed 251K, which was the total of all orders taken. Subtract customer cancelled (I cancelled and reordered 100's of sets), mint cancelled (admin problems), returns, and a variety of other cancellation issues; I can't imagine the final number won't be lower than 248k.

If you were asking about FS totals, I agree that '06 will probably be lower than 2012.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...forgot to add, if they're not FS, breaking even might be a challenge on the 69's. image >>

Sigh. One of the stupidest realities in numismatics. >>

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I have a bunch of sets on their way to ngc now by ups with an expected delivery date of 8/28 but I am worried that they might be diverted because of weather >>

I believe NGC allows for the POSTMARK date on YOUR shipment to THEM as valid for ER.
  • Options
    To qualify for First Releases or Early Releases, all coins must GENERALLY be received by NGC or an approved depository before the Cutoff Date listed to be eligible for the First Releases or Early Releases designation.
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

And if they are ungraded, raw? breaking even will probably still be a challenge? Or easier, because some buyers might be looking for submissions for possible 70's?

I'm trying to decide whether to cancel my two sets, ordered late in the game.
  • Options

<< <i>To qualify for First Releases or Early Releases, all coins must GENERALLY be received by NGC or an approved depository before the Cutoff Date listed to be eligible for the First Releases or Early Releases designation. >>

The only way for people to know the truth is to pick up the phone and call. I was told postmark date was fine. And that is the postmark date on my package to them. Not the postmark date on the USM mailing box.
  • Options
    Hope so. Just got my PCGS FS 69 set off ebay for cheaper than buying the set and paying grading fees ;o
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    I actually was just making a bad attempt at humor at a new label. For all the havoc this hurricane could potentially cause, I think my problems at ngc will be minor. Yes I think the reverse proofs are undervalued but I do own them, so maybe I am not the best person to ask.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the 2012 Silver Reverse Proof undervalued?

It depends on if you mean "undervalued now relative to other coins now" or "undervalued now relative to what it will be worth in the future"

There are a quarter million of them, more or less, and just about all of them in perfect or nearly-perfect condition, and will remain so in the future.

I have no idea whether they will go up or down in value in the future (not really sure what they are worth but could look up ebay sales I guess)

the more interesting question is the first one, "should" such a coin be worth more or less than, say, a 200 year old half dollar in Fine that there are maybe a thousand examples existing in all conditions?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Is it true our friends "across the street" having been making too many "70's" with this set?

Heard it was a much lower percentage of 70's than the 2011 25th Anniv set. Haven't checked their census lately.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Their census makes no sense....no RP's graded....255 Proofs with 25 given 70 grade

• Options

<< <i>

Totally agree. "First strike" is idiotic.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I hope it is undervalued!image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Totally agree. "First strike" is idiotic. >>

Perhaps, but it's money in the bank when it's time to sell.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file