Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: ORR or Gretzky in his PRIME

Might as well throw a little hockey into this prime debate.

Comments

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Prime (or a variation of the word) appears on the front page 18 times. You, sir, need to play by the rules and edit your title. Otherwise, nobody will take your serious question seriously.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    This belongs in the sporrts forrum.
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Orr. He was a defenseman who won scoring titles. Wayne only played offense. Orr did everything at the highest level. All you have to do is go to Youtube and watch video of Orr and you'll see why he was the best. He did it all.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Prime (or a variation of the word) appears on the front page 18 times. You, sir, need to play by the rules and edit your title. Otherwise, nobody will take your serious question seriously.

image >>

My bad
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Orr changed the way D men play the game
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    I am no hockey expert and never really saw Orr play so I would go with Gretzky.

Now I have a question. How many goals were scored against the Bruins when Orr decided to go on the offense?

I am thinking the Bruins had many goals against them when Orr abandoned his position. But like I said, I am no expert by any means and please let me know if my thinking may be inaccurate.

Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>I am no hockey expert and never really saw Orr play so I would go with Gretzky.

Now I have a question. How many goals were scored against the Bruins when Orr decided to go on the offense?

I am thinking the Bruins had many goals against them when Orr abandoned his position. But like I said, I am no expert by any means and please let me know if my thinking may be inaccurate.

Bob >>

his +/- was +597 for his career.

that means that his team scored 597 more times when he was on the ice, then they gave up.

in 1970 alone, he was a +124
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>I am no hockey expert and never really saw Orr play so I would go with Gretzky.

Bob >>

I guess if you go by that logic, you could say the same about a forward who does not back check.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Bobby Orr hands down...
    These numbers from a D-man are SICK!

If he didnt have the knee injuries, who knows what his overall numbers would have been. I will also say, Orr did have some great players around him, but Gretzky had better (hands down!)
    46 goals in 1974-75! 139 points in 70-71, These numbers were unheard of back then. He led the NHL in scoring twice! Also a 3 time league MVP As a defensman!!
    If you question his defense, he was a 8 time James Norris Trophy winner as the BEST Defensman in the league and it looks like he only played 9 full seasons

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
    Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1962-63 Oshawa Generals OHA 0 6 13 19 0
    1963-64 Oshawa Generals OHA 56 29 43 72 0
    1964-65 Oshawa Generals OHA 56 34 59 93 0
    1965-66 Oshawa Generals OHA 47 38 56 94 92
    1966-67 Boston Bruins NHL 61 13 28 41 102 -- -- -- -- --
    1967-68 Boston Bruins NHL 46 11 20 31 63 4 0 2 2 2
    1968-69 Boston Bruins NHL 67 21 43 64 133 10 1 7 8 10
    1969-70 Boston Bruins NHL 76 33 87 120 125 14 9 11 20 14
    1970-71 Boston Bruins NHL 78 37 102 139 91 7 5 7 12 10
    1971-72 Boston Bruins NHL 76 37 80 117 106 15 5 19 24 19
    1972-73 Boston Bruins NHL 63 29 72 101 99 5 1 1 2 7
    1973-74 Boston Bruins NHL 74 32 90 122 82 16 4 14 18 28
    1974-75 Boston Bruins NHL 80 46 89 135 101 3 1 5 6 2
    1975-76 Boston Bruins NHL 10 5 13 18 22 -- -- -- -- --
    1976-77 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 20 4 19 23 25 -- -- -- -- --
    1977-78 Did Not Play Ind 0 0 0 0 0
    1978-79 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 6 2 2 4 4 -- -- -- -- --
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NHL Totals 657 270 645 915 953 74 26 66 92 92
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    Gretzky by far heck I would take Mario Lemieux in his prime over Orr.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Orr plus/minus winner a record 6 times!

Correct Thosebackpages... "1970 alone, he was a +124"

124 is the All Time best for +/-
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    #4 Bobby Orr,
    at 14 years old it was said he was ready to play in the NHL
    Took the Bruins from last to 1st in 4 years
    Led the league in scoring as a defenseman
    And as a signing bonus the Bruins agreed to stucco his mom's house!
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭
    Eventhough I hate Boston sports teams (from when I was a little kid), Yankees were my second favorite team and Phillies my first......I would have to say ORR. chaz
  • Options

<< <i>Gretzky by far heck I would take Mario Lemieux in his prime over Orr. >>

You don't know hockey my friend. A true hockey guy who played the game for many years like myself knows the value of defense. That is what wins CUPS. chaz
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Gretzky, without question.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You don't know hockey my friend. A true hockey guy who played the game for many years like myself knows the value of defense. That is what wins CUPS. chaz >>

Gretzky won twice as many Cups as Orr.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You don't know hockey my friend. A true hockey guy who played the game for many years like myself knows the value of defense. That is what wins CUPS. chaz >>

Gretzky won twice as many Cups as Orr. >>

Gretzky played more than twice as many years!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Best hockey player of All-Time is much like best basketball player of All-Time. In basketball it is Jordan, then everyone else; in hockey it is Gretzky, then everyone else

But when you modify the question to only be PRIME, it comes down to how it is interpreted. While Gretzky's PRIME started in 70s and lasted into the 90s, Orr's best seasons were better even if only for nine years
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    5 Orrs will beat 5 of anyone else. Wayne would not have lasted playing in the 50's and 60's. He would have not been protected like he was (Semenko). His career would have lasted less than Orr's. He was once cross checked by someone and that player never played a NHL game again after that. He was the most PROTECTED player from any sport. Orr fought all of his fights himself. He was tested in his rookie year and no one ever messed with him after that.
    The Bruins wanted Orr to play in the NHL at 17 but had to wait a year because the rule was that you had to be at least 18. The guy changed the way the game has been played forever, no one else can lay claim to something like that.
  • Options
    anyone NOT "picking Gretzky, is just trying to make others think they are "bringing it from the inside"

Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy ... and I dont even need the other 3

Orr was the biggest Hype in ALL of sports
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Orr? lol
  • Options
    I answer this as someone who enjoyed watching both players, and enjoys collecting both players.
    I saw a lot more of Gretzky, but I did see a little of Orr. Television coverage of hockey increased when Gretzky played.

I hate to say one was better then the other, because both were fantastic.

The only way I can answer this question is like a person said before. If you put 5 Orr's on the ice against 5 Gretzky's, the 5 Orr's
    would probably win the games most of the time.

Bobby also did what he did on bad knees. Gretzky played hockey with two good legs. Orr played on one good leg. Orr was having knee
    surgeries beginning at the age of 20 I believe.

I don't like saying anyone was better then Gretzky, because I've never seen a better ambassador for the sport then Wayne Gretzky.

Mario comes in third. Everyone else is in a distant fourth. Larry Robinson may be in a close fourth, but that's for people who understand defense.
  • Options

<< <i>anyone NOT "picking Gretzky, is just trying to make others think they are "bringing it from the inside"

Orr was the biggest Hype in ALL of sports >>

You lost me at Bossy
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>anyone NOT "picking Gretzky, is just trying to make others think they are "bringing it from the inside"

You lost me at Bossy >>

I read that and was going to respond to it and then I said to myself, why bother.
    Clearly he just doesnt like Orr/Boston or he doesnt know hockey
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    Gretzky was a lot tougher then people give him credit for. Just because he couldn't fight doesn't make him a puss
    or protected. Give me a break you don't think the Islanders tried to hurt him every chance they got? Yup Potvin, Trottier,
    Gillies and Nystrom definitely took it easy on him because he was the Great Gretzky. If you think so then you were not
    watching in the early to mid 80's.. He was the best east west skater I ever saw and he had a pretty decent shot. He was
    the greatest passer of all time. He made so many people better then they were. Bernie Nicholls? Glen Anderson?
    Jari Kurri? He has more assists then anyone has points? He took a sorry Kings team to the finals with a bad back!!
    Orr doesn't come close to Gretzky's accomplishments.. Oh and by the way the Hartford Whalers wanted to sign Gretzky at 17
    but didn't because they were afraid it would hurt their chances on a NHL bid... Should I continue? Yup Gretzky couldn't have played
    in the 50's and 60's <laughing> that's the statement of the year..... Still would take Lemieux 2nd.....
    Um if you had 5 Gretzky's and 2 played defence and 3 played forward the 5 Orr's wouldn't ever touch the puck?
    Each one would have 50+ goals and 100 assists.... <still laughing>
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>Gretzky was a lot tougher then people give him credit for. Just because he couldn't fight doesn't make him a puss
    or protected. Give me a break you don't think the Islanders tried to hurt him every chance they got? Yup Potvin, Trottier,
    Gillies and Nystrom definitely took it easy on him because he was the Great Gretzky. If you think so then you were not
    watching in the early to mid 80's.. He was the best east west skater I ever saw and he had a pretty decent shot. He was
    the greatest passer of all time. He made so many people better then they were. Bernie Nicholls? Glen Anderson?
    Jari Kurri? He has more assists then anyone has points? He took a sorry Kings team to the finals with a bad back!!
    Orr doesn't come close to Gretzky's accomplishments.. Oh and by the way the Hartford Whalers wanted to sign Gretzky at 17
    but didn't because they were afraid it would hurt their chances on a NHL bid... Should I continue? Yup Gretzky couldn't have played
    in the 50's and 60's <laughing> that's the statement of the year..... Still would take Lemieux 2nd.....
    Um if you had 5 Gretzky's and 2 played defence and 3 played forward the 5 Orr's wouldn't ever touch the puck?
    Each one would have 50+ goals and 100 assists.... <still laughing> >>

Your right, I get the laughing - This is funny!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>Gretzky was a lot tougher then people give him credit for. Just because he couldn't fight doesn't make him a puss
    or protected. >>

Gretzky 5 time winner of the Lady Byng Trophy lol
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>Gretzky was was the best east west skater I ever saw and he had a pretty decent shot. He was
    the greatest passer of all time. >>

Orr was the best end to end skater of all time, you can have your east to west because in hockey, that means nothing!

I will give you 1 thing.. Gretzky was the greatest passer of all time
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

Each one would have 50+ goals and 100 assists.... <still laughing> >>

I am a huge fan of Gretz and it is tough to compare Gretz and Orr because of the different positions. He was tough and put up absolutely sick numbers that most likely will not be touched for quite sometime. But, you can't say that Orr does not come close. Orr was putting up numbers for a defensman that was unheard of. He was rewriting the record book and collecting Norris trophies. He also only played 8-9 good years before his knees just gave out.
  • Options

<< <i>5 Orrs will beat 5 of anyone else. Wayne would not have lasted playing in the 50's and 60's. He would have not been protected like he was (Semenko). His career would have lasted less than Orr's. He was once cross checked by someone and that player never played a NHL game again after that. He was the most PROTECTED player from any sport. Orr fought all of his fights himself. He was tested in his rookie year and no one ever messed with him after that.
    The Bruins wanted Orr to play in the NHL at 17 but had to wait a year because the rule was that you had to be at least 18. The guy changed the way the game has been played forever, no one else can lay claim to something like that. >>

Could not have said it better! chaz
  • Options

You are friggen nuts. chaz
  • Options

<< <i> He also only played 8-9 good years before his knees just gave out. >>

He was actually playing on bad knees throughout those 8-9 years. He was never 100%.

Bobby Clarke said in the 1978 Canada Cup he couldn't get out of bed in the morning, played on one leg, and was
    still the best player in the tournament.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Orr doesn't come close to Gretzky's accomplishments.. > >>

I think it's actuall the other way around. Gretzky doesn't come close to Orr's accomplishments.

Gretzky averaged 1.92 points per game in his NHL career.
    Mario Lemieux averaged 1.88 points per game in his NHL career.

For forwards, Gretzky is just a little bit ahead of Mario. Wayne didn't really seperate himself from the next best.

Bobby Orr's points per game in his NHL career is 1.39.
    The next best NHL defensemen was Paul Coffey at 1.08

That is a huge difference considering that Paul Coffey got to play the power play with the greatest point producing forward
    in the history of the NHL during their primes.

Bobby Orr was a much more potent offensive machine then Paul Coffey was.
    Wayne Gretzky was not a much more potent offensive machine then Mario Lemieux was.

Gretzky and Coffey played with each other.
    Imagine if Orr and Lemieux played together. Their numbers would be absolutely sick.
  • Options
    I think this thread needs some O-PEE-CHEE !

and a little more O-PEE-CHEE !!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> He also only played 8-9 good years before his knees just gave out. >>

He was actually playing on bad knees throughout those 8-9 years. He was never 100%.

Bobby Clarke said in the 1978 Canada Cup he couldn't get out of bed in the morning, played on one leg, and was
    still the best player in the tournament. >>

That was a great interview with Clarke.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Orr doesn't come close to Gretzky's accomplishments.. > >>

I think it's actuall the other way around. Gretzky doesn't come close to Orr's accomplishments.

Gretzky averaged 1.92 points per game in his NHL career.
    Mario Lemieux averaged 1.88 points per game in his NHL career.

For forwards, Gretzky is just a little bit ahead of Mario. Wayne didn't really seperate himself from the next best.

Bobby Orr's points per game in his NHL career is 1.39.
    The next best NHL defensemen was Paul Coffey at 1.08 >>

That's looking at everything outside of PRIME years. Coffey and Gretzky both played more than twice as many games as Orr and 50% more games than Lemieux. If you count only points per game during their PRIME years, the accomplishments look a lot different. During Gretzky's best nine year run (695 games, more than Orr played for his career) his average was 2.45 per game. During Coffey's best nine year run (655 games), he averaged 1.41 per game. Just because they were able to keep playing until almost 40 does not change what they were doing during their PRIMEs

If anything the stats you use show Gretzky as far superior. But it would be silly to use this one piece as the what determines who was better. The best years from Orr are very close to the best years from Gretzky. It would be reasonable to pick either one. The total accomplishments from all years, no one is anywhere near Gretzky
  • Options
    Here's a picture of Bobby just before his prime.

He was 20 at this time, and he visited the hospital many more times during his career.

Gretzky had no problems with his legs.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a picture of Bobby just before his prime.

He was 20 at this time, and he visited the hospital many more times during his career.

Gretzky had no problems with his legs. >>

That is great! Great pic as well
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    This is an unending discussion that reminds me of comparing Sandy Koufax with Cy Young.

Bobby Orr fantastic player that made an amazing impact on hockey in a limited time. Unquestionable grit and determination.

Wayne Gretzky - the greatest (career) player ever in the NHL. Amazing career stats and without a doubt made all his surrounding teammates better players.

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Whithout question it would be #99 Wayne Gretzky and yes, he did what he did with bad back problems too. A very close 2nd would be Mark Messier, in fact, if I had a choice to pick one player to be on my team I would go with Mark. He has to be one of the best all around players to ever play the game.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>North-South...no east west >>

Every time I see that video it reminds me of how slow and always out of position goalies were in the Orr era.
    That being said, I am at the top of the Orr fan club - not trying to take away from his talents
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭✭
    Gretzky.
  • Options
    In 1997, The Hockey News commemorated their 50th anniversary with a list of the 50 top NHL players of all-time. The rankings, which heralded Wayne Gretzky as the best player in the history of the NHL, were determined by a panel of judges that included past and present NHL general managers, coaches, and players, as well some of the most eminent members of hockey media. The following year, THN expanded the list and published it as a book: The Top 100 NHL players of All-Time. Their list again featured Gretzky as the top player. The top ten players, in order, were: Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, Mario Lemieux, Maurice Richard, Doug Harvey, Jean Beliveau, Bobby Hull, Terry Sawchuk and Eddie Shore.[3]
  • Options

<< <i>You lost me at Bossy >>

then you dont know hockey
    you've just heard of a guy named orr

bossy on the oilers team ... healthy ... 1200 goals

10 year career
    752 games
    573 goals
    553 assists
    1126 points

lets not bring up the playoffs

again .... gretz, lemieux, bossy ... dream line
  • Options
    Hockey News Top 100 players of all time. Former players, coaches, and GM's made up the list.

1.Wayne Gretzky
    2.Bobby Orr
    3.Gordie Howe
    4.Mario Lemieux[1]
    5.Maurice Richard
    6.Doug Harvey
    7.Jean Beliveau
    8.Bobby Hull
    9.Terry Sawchuk[2]
    10.Eddie Shore
    11.Guy Lafleur
    12.Mark Messier
    13.Jacques Plante
    14.Ray Bourque
    15.Howie Morenz
    16.Glenn Hall
    17.Stan Mikita[3]
    18.Phil Esposito
    19.Denis Potvin
    20.Mike Bossy
    21.Ted Lindsay
    22.Patrick Roy
    23.Red Kelly
    24.Bobby Clarke
    25.Larry Robinson
    26.Ken Dryden
    27.Frank Mahovlich
    28.Milt Schmidt
    29.Paul Coffey
    30.Henri Richard
    31.Bryan Trottier
    32.Dickie Moore
    33.Newsy Lalonde
    34.Syl Apps
    35.Bill Durnan
    36.Charlie Conacher
    37.Jaromir Jagr[4]
    38.Marcel Dionne
    39.Joe Malone
    40.Chris Chelios[5]
    41.Dit Clapper
    42.Bernie Geoffrion
    43.Tim Horton
    44.Bill Cook
    45.Johnny Bucyk
    46.George Hainsworth
    47.Gilbert Perreault
    48.Max Bentley
    49.Brad Park
    50.Jari Kurri
    51.Nels Stewart
    52.King Clancy
    53.Bill Cowley
    54.Eric Lindros
    55.Busher Jackson
    56.Peter Stastny
    57.Ted Kennedy
    58.Andy Bathgate
    59.Pierre Pilote
    60.Turk Broda
    61.Frank Boucher
    62.Cy Denneny
    63.Bernie Parent
    64.Brett Hull
    65.Aurel Joliat
    66.Toe Blake
    67.Frank Brimsek
    68.Elmer Lach
    69.Dave Keon
    70.Grant Fuhr
    71.Brian Leetch
    72.Earl Seibert
    73.Doug Bentley
    74.Borje Salming
    75.Georges Vezina
    76.Charlie Gardiner
    77.Clint Benedict
    78.Steve Yzerman
    79.Tony Esposito
    80.Billy Smith
    81.Serge Savard
    82.Alex Delvecchio
    83.Babe Dye
    84.Lorne Chabot
    85.Sid Abel
    86.Bob Gainey
    87.Johnny Bower
    88.Sprague Cleghorn
    89.Mike Gartner
    90.Norm Ullman
    91.Sweeney Schriner
    92.Joe Primeau
    93.Darryl Sittler
    94.Joe Sakic
    95.Dominik Hasek
    96.Babe Pratt
    97.Jack Stewart
    98.Yvan Cournoyer
    99.Bill Gadsby
    100.Frank Nighbor
  • Options
    Lists are nice for conversation, but in all honesty, they need to be by position ... even by era

I'm a Gretzky fan ... and I hate nobody ... no horse at all in the race
    But Bossy at #20 is a shame
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting the list. I would have thought Sakic and Yzerman would be a bit higher.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You lost me at Bossy >>

then you dont know hockey
    you've just heard of a guy named orr

bossy on the oilers team ... healthy ... 1200 goals

10 year career
    752 games
    573 goals