Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: ORR or Gretzky in his PRIME

2»

Comments

• Options
    #94 Joe Sakic played more games then #11 Guy Lafluer.
    Scored more goals, more assists, more points, and had basically the same Points Per Game.
    He played against better goaltending, and in a time when hooking and holding was totally permitted.

So yes, there are some flaws to this list.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Marcel Dionne was a fantastic player on a crappy team. He was a joy to watch too.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would have thought ..... Yzerman would be a bit higher. >>

no kidding
    lindros at #54 ?? >>

I think he said that list was from 1997. It's possible that Yzerman had not been on a championship team yet.
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    How many of the voters do you think voted for the people they liked?
    Gretzky-best offensive career ever.
    Orr-best hockey PLAYER (offense and defense) ever

So Gretzky has a +/- of 518 for a 20 year career and Orr has a +/- of 597 in half of Gretzky's career not to mention Gretzky had 7 years of minus in the +/- category. I think that just shows how dominant Orr was and how much his team scored when he was on the ice.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

no kidding
    lindros at #54 ?? >>

I think he said that list was from 1997. It's possible that Yzerman had not been on a championship team yet. >>

But what about what Eric had or had not done at that point ?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

no kidding
    lindros at #54 ?? >>

I think he said that list was from 1997. It's possible that Yzerman had not been on a championship team yet. >>

He had won two by then.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    He had won two by some undetermined date in 1997? Was this list from the summer of 1998?
  • Options
    True, it could have been one depending on when the list was made.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    gretzky
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭✭
    Gretzky's single season point totals may never be reached. Has anyone been within 50 points lately?
  • Options
    His coming was talked about when he was 10 years old

He did NOT disappoint

He did everything expected and MORE

He was not a fluke, nor did he fade away after a few short years

He created superstars around him, that otherwise would have been unknowns

He was traded to a sub-par team ... and scored 54 goals, 114 points, 168 points (who were his linemates ?)

Gretzky was special ... maybe others were also ... sports sure do seem to suck nowadays
  • Options
    ORR
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>North-South...no east west >>

Every time I see that video it reminds me of how slow and always out of position goalies were in the Orr era.
    That being said, I am at the top of the Orr fan club - not trying to take away from his talents >>

There are at least a dozen times that I wanted to yell, "You suck" at the goalies in that video. Sort of like the Karlomov 2nd period goal in Game 1 of the Summit series against Dryden (in one of the anniversary retrospective videos, I think the 20th, they had Savard, Cournoyer, Clarke and Eagleson making commentary, after that goal, Savard says, "Ken Dryden, great goalie, but he could never play a great game against the Russians.")

BTW, the shot against Parent in that video looks like it went wide.

Compare some of those goals against the 5 in game 39 and you forget how great of a shooter Gretzky was. To answer the question, I would take Gretzky every day of the week. Orr and Lemieux ARE close, but Gretzky is really by himself.

For those that say Gretzky would not have survived in the 50's-60's, they're living in a haze. Watch any classic game and/or compare the average size/weight of players and the haze will start to lift. And the concept of Wayne being protected by the league also did not watch the team they live and die with (Flyers) lose two Stanley Cup Finals to Edmonton. Gretzky's hockey sense is what protected him, not the league.

A while back, as someone was trying to espouse the defensive strengths of Phil Housley, I took a look at +/- stats. Orr was friggin' awesome, but do read the last sentence. Thanks.

I think Howe was the best player (not the most important) the Flyers have ever had. Over at a sports collectors forum, there was a guy trying to argue the defensive strengths of Phil Housley as part of a who was not in the HHOF thread just as Howe got elected. Eventually, it lead to the part I have quoted below. It was something I had always pondered, particularly in consideration of Howe's 85-86 season. I hope it makes sense and you enjoy it. It also confirmed my own observations from watching the players.

I took a deeper look into my initial analysis of play at EVEN strength. I have a bit of data but will only summarize the methodology and the results.
    What I did was take the +/- data for the player and his team for that season (GF less PPGF for Net Goals For ["NGF"] and GA less PPGA for Net Goals Against ["NGA"] that provides net +/-). Consequently, you then have that data for when the player was and was not on the ice. NGF/NGA provides a scoring ratio for the team, player and team w/o the player. Winning teams will almost always have ratios over 1::1 (perhaps a team that has at least a 25+ differential in their special teams will be over .500) and losing teams below 1::1. Once I got that data, I kept both the raw spread of their on/off performance and the ratio of the on/off performance. Hopefully the examples below will present in a readable fashion. The expectation at EVEN strength is that a good player will have a higher NGF/NGA ratio than the team has when he is not on the ice. This would apply to a bad team as well. For eaxample if a team gives up one goal for every 0.90 goals it scores then a really good player on that team may have a 0.93 ratio and the rest of the team a 0.88 ratio.

Year/Team/Player Player GF/PPGF/NGF GA/PPGA/NGA +/- Team GF/PPGF/NGF GA/PPGA/NGA +/- W/O NGF/NGA NGF/NGA Ratio Team Player On/Off Spread % Spread
    70-71/Bos/Orr 258/79/179 85/30/55 +124 399/80/319 207/53/154 +165 140/99 2.071/ 3.255/1.414 1.840 2.30
    84-85/Edm/Gretzky 249/61/188 127/37/90 +98 401/74/327 298/76/222 +105 139/132 1.473/ 2.089/1.053 1.036 1.984

I looked at Howe from 79-80 through 87-88 (nine seasons), Langway from 82-83 through 88-89, Coffey and Gretzky while at Edmonton, Bourque's whole career and Orr from 67-68 through 74-75. Also Housley from start of career through Winnipeg.

Thus, looking at Booby Orr's line, in 1970-71 he was on the ice for 258 Boston goal, 79 were PP goals for a NGF of 179. He was on the ice for 85 goals against, 30 of them while shorthanded for a NGA of 55. His +/- was a record +124 (179-55). Boston scored a total of 399 goals, 80 of which were on the PP for a NGF of 319. The team had 207 GA, 53 of them shorthanded for a NGA of 154 and a team +/- of +165 (319-154). When Orr was not on the ice, the team had a NGF of 140 (319-179) and a NGA of 99 (154-55). At even strength, the Bruins outscored their opponents by 2.071::1 (319/154). When Orr was on the ice, they outscored their opponents 3.255::1 (179/55) and when he was not they outscored their opponents 1.414::1 (140/99). When Orr was on the ice at even strength, the Bruins were 1.84 goals better than when he was not (3.255-1.414) or 2.3x more productive (3.255/1.414).

Thoughts about even strength performance:
    Coffey was as I expected - very slightly above the rest of the team some years and below in others. He looks good in the other metrics in that his play was directly more than indirectly responsible for goals (goals and assists). It doesn't hide the fact that his team often did better at outscoring an opponent at even strength when he was not on the ice.
    Housley was similar to Coffey. In this evaluation he only had two seasons that would rank with Howe's two worst (79-80 when he was a forward and 83-84). Of course, those two worst were really good seasons, though.
    Bourque was amazingly consistent. Only at the end of his Boston tenure did the team perform better with him off the ice. His career spread was 0.373 goals. The nine years I looked at for Howe, his spread was 0.496.
    Langway was up and down. Amazingly, in his Norris trophy year, the rest of the team very slightly ouperformed him at even strength. However, the Caps were something like 87% on the PK, primarily due to Langway. Howe still should have won the Norris.
    Orr was simply amazing. Of the group I looked at, other than Howe, he was the only player to have a ratio 2x the rest of the team, but he did it 4 times. His spread for the years looked at was 1.031 goals.
    Gretzky was also amazing, although his numbers don't jump off the page like Orr's. I think this is because the stats I'm looking at favor defensemen (or at least stud defensemen) in that they typically have more Time on Ice (TOI), can influence the flow of play a bit more and +/- probably underweights ACTUAL points (although I believe to a lesser degree than GVT and PS overweight points). For example, in the 84-85 stats above, Gretzky was on the ice for 249 Edmonton goals. He had POINTS on 208 of THEM!!! (Orr 139 out of 258 for comparison)

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For years I would have said Gretzky, but after reading the book "Finding Bobby Orr", I am going to say Orr.

Wayne was certainly the best passer of all time, seemed like every one of his passes was right on the other players "tape" making it easier for the other player to score or make a good play.

Orr, even with injuries had the ability to make the entire opposing team look like children. He truly had it all, when I read about him being the best player on the ice late in his career, with bad knees, against the best in the world, that did it for me.

I also remember reading about Orr's fighting ability. He was tested as a young player and destroyed the opposing player so convincingly, he was seldom challenged.

Joe

P.S. All this garbage about bad goaltending during Orr's time is just plain stupid. He made EVERYBODY look out of position, because he was that much better.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    I think what people fail to realize is Orr played defense not center or wing and dominated the game. He could kill
    A penalty for 2 minutes by himself.
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You lost me at Bossy >>

then you dont know hockey
    you've just heard of a guy named orr

bossy on the oilers team ... healthy ... 1200 goals

10 year career
    752 games
    573 goals
    553 assists
    1126 points

lets not bring up the playoffs

again .... gretz, lemieux, bossy ... dream line >>

Bossy was a great player, but not a top five player.
  • Options
    I am a big Gretzky fan. Loved watching him, and he and Lemieux were two greats, but what the previous poster said is so true about
    his dominance. He could skate around the whole ice without people touching him if he wanted to. No other player in the history of the game
    could do that.

Question......Did Gretzky play Junior at age 14 ? Bobby was playing against 20 year olds when he was 14 years old.

You've got to watch and listen to this, especially if you think Gretzky was that much better.

A great piece
  • Options
    I don't know how much weight this carries, but Denis Potvin said this.

In music there are the Beatles and everyone else. In hockey, there is Bobby Orr, and everyone else.

Now you may think that Potvin hates Gretzky because of the rivalry, but remember that Denis loved Wayne after
    Wayne sent him flowers after his dad died.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gretzky's single season point totals may never be reached. Has anyone been within 50 points lately? >>

More like no one's come within 100 points of his record lately.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    When was the last time a defensman lead the league in scoring?
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

P.S. All this garbage about bad goaltending during Orr's time is just plain stupid. He made EVERYBODY look out of position, because he was that much better. >>

Just as an FYI, I'm 48 and have been goalie crazy since 1970.

Regarding goaltending, let's change the word "bad" to "different". Between the average size of a goaltender, the equipment and, most significantly, the technique, it is clearly "different". You watch the classic games from the 60's through today and you can see the progression of this difference. As a child, I worshipped Parent and Sawchuk. However, I have no misconception regarding them and today's goaltending. Of course, it IS all relative to the players playing in their era. In relative terms, I would have to say (granted I have Flyers' colored glasses) that for two seasons, 73-74 and 75-76, Bernie Parent was the greatest goaltender who ever lived. In absolute terms, he may have a hard time just being an NHL goaltender today, let alone a starter or a star.

I do love to watch the Sawchuk Maple Leaf/Hawks game (67 play-offs when he relieved Bower), the 72 Summit series (the full DVD set and the 20th anniversary highlight VHS) and the Flyers' 10 greatest games DVD's.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    It's important to give some credit to Phil Esposito who put up some big numbers while Orr was on the ice.
    Esposito's SOG were impressive especially the 550 he put up in one season and his goals and assists helped the +/- significantly.
    Esposito also won the MVP Hart trophy twice while on the same team as Orr meaning he was a more valuable player than Orr in those seasons.
    Gretzky won 9 Hart MVP awards including 8 in a row(amazing and will probably never be done again) and while he made his teammates better, the Great one was always the best on the ice.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's important to give some credit to Phil Esposito who put up some big numbers while Orr was on the ice.
    Esposito's SOG were impressive especially the 550 he put up in one season and his goals and assists helped the +/- significantly.
    Esposito also won the MVP Hart trophy twice while on the same team as Orr meaning he was a more valuable player than Orr in those seasons.
    Gretzky won 9 Hart MVP awards including 8 in a row(amazing and will probably never be done again) and while he made his teammates better, the Great one was always the best on the ice. >>

Couldn't have said it better.
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's important to give some credit to Phil Esposito who put up some big numbers while Orr was on the ice.
    Gretzky won 9 Hart MVP awards including 8 in a row(amazing and will probably never be done again) and while he made his teammates better, the Great one was always the best on the ice. >>

Couldn't have said it better. >>

+2

Just watch some August to September games from 1972 to see how good Espo was.

When it comes to Gretzky, I've always likened him to this dialogue from Max Mercy in THE NATURAL:
    "Home runs, triples, singles...
    Anything he wants to hit, he hits.
    I've never seen anything like it.
    It's incredible!
    Anything he wants to do, he does!"

I believe that if Gretzky had decided that he wanted to score 100 goals in a seaon, he would have.
    Orr or Lemieux were very close, but if you look at the NHL Gretzky Book, er... I mean NHL Record Book.....well.....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>You lost me at Bossy >>

then you dont know hockey
    you've just heard of a guy named orr

bossy on the oilers team ... healthy ... 1200 goals

10 year career
    752 games
    573 goals
    553 assists
    1126 points

lets not bring up the playoffs

again .... gretz, lemieux, bossy ... dream line >>

Bossy was a great player, but not a top five player. >>

I had to look it up, because I'm not a stat guy
    just curious about who had some of the better goals per game averages
    care to guess who is #1 ???

again, I'm a gretzky fan

but if bossy played another 5-7 years (or lemieux a little more) ... I dont think gretzky would be the goals leader

orr was great
    lots of great players
    coffey was great
    orr is just one of things that I dont get

I thought the greatness to any sport was to score
    not being flashy

Bossy scored the most while he was there
    and he was around just as long as Orr was

if there was a draft, I'd take Bossy & you can take Orr
    because right after that, I would take Coffey
    Bossy and Coffey ? or Orr ?
  • Options

. >>

Not in my view.

In Phil's first three years in Chicago age range 22-24, he averaged 57 points a season.

From 1967-1974 when playing with Bobby Orr he averaged roughly 130 points per season.

He left playing with Orr at age 33, and averaged getting 80+ points per season with the Rangers for the next few years.

If Bobby Orr played in the 1972 Summit Series, Canada would not have lost a game.
    Phil Esposito admittedly was never in good shape. I don't even think you can find highlight videos of his career
    on youtube because there really isn't enough impressive tape.

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I think some here are just looking at the lifetime stats and coming to the conclusion that Gretzky was better. This argument is about who was the better "player".
    Orr did EVERYTHING, Gretzky just shot and passed. When the argument is about who was the better "player", it's obvious the best player does everything. They both made their teammates better, but I just don't see the case for Gretzky being better than Orr. Orr did it all on offense and defense and won awards for both. No defensemen win scoring titles, only Orr.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hockey News Top 100 players of all time. Former players, coaches, and GM's made up the list.

1.Wayne Gretzky
    2.Bobby Orr
    3.Gordie Howe
    4.Mario Lemieux[1]
    5.Maurice Richard
    6.Doug Harvey
    7.Jean Beliveau
    8.Bobby Hull
    9.Terry Sawchuk[2]
    10.Eddie Shore
    11.Guy Lafleur
    12.Mark Messier
    13.Jacques Plante
    14.Ray Bourque
    15.Howie Morenz
    16.Glenn Hall
    17.Stan Mikita[3]
    18.Phil Esposito
    19.Denis Potvin
    20.Mike Bossy
    21.Ted Lindsay
    22.Patrick Roy
    23.Red Kelly
    24.Bobby Clarke
    25.Larry Robinson
    26.Ken Dryden
    27.Frank Mahovlich
    28.Milt Schmidt
    29.Paul Coffey
    30.Henri Richard
    31.Bryan Trottier
    32.Dickie Moore
    33.Newsy Lalonde
    34.Syl Apps
    35.Bill Durnan
    36.Charlie Conacher
    37.Jaromir Jagr[4]
    38.Marcel Dionne
    39.Joe Malone
    40.Chris Chelios[5]
    41.Dit Clapper
    42.Bernie Geoffrion
    43.Tim Horton
    44.Bill Cook
    45.Johnny Bucyk
    46.George Hainsworth
    47.Gilbert Perreault
    48.Max Bentley
    49.Brad Park
    50.Jari Kurri
    51.Nels Stewart
    52.King Clancy
    53.Bill Cowley
    54.Eric Lindros
    55.Busher Jackson
    56.Peter Stastny
    57.Ted Kennedy
    58.Andy Bathgate
    59.Pierre Pilote
    60.Turk Broda
    61.Frank Boucher
    62.Cy Denneny
    63.Bernie Parent
    64.Brett Hull
    65.Aurel Joliat
    66.Toe Blake
    67.Frank Brimsek
    68.Elmer Lach
    69.Dave Keon
    70.Grant Fuhr
    71.Brian Leetch
    72.Earl Seibert
    73.Doug Bentley
    74.Borje Salming
    75.Georges Vezina
    76.Charlie Gardiner
    77.Clint Benedict
    78.Steve Yzerman
    79.Tony Esposito
    80.Billy Smith
    81.Serge Savard
    82.Alex Delvecchio
    83.Babe Dye
    84.Lorne Chabot
    85.Sid Abel
    86.Bob Gainey
    87.Johnny Bower
    88.Sprague Cleghorn
    89.Mike Gartner
    90.Norm Ullman
    91.Sweeney Schriner
    92.Joe Primeau
    93.Darryl Sittler
    94.Joe Sakic
    95.Dominik Hasek
    96.Babe Pratt
    97.Jack Stewart
    98.Yvan Cournoyer
    99.Bill Gadsby
    100.Frank Nighbor >>

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hockey News Top 100 players of all time. Former players, coaches, and GM's made up the list.

1.Wayne Gretzky
    2.Bobby Orr
    3.Gordie Howe
    4.Mario Lemieux[1]
    5.Maurice Richard
    6.Doug Harvey
    7.Jean Beliveau
    8.Bobby Hull
    9.Terry Sawchuk[2]
    10.Eddie Shore
    11.Guy Lafleur
    12.Mark Messier
    13.Jacques Plante
    14.Ray Bourque
    15.Howie Morenz
    16.Glenn Hall
    17.Stan Mikita[3]
    18.Phil Esposito
    19.Denis Potvin
    20.Mike Bossy
    21.Ted Lindsay
    22.Patrick Roy
    23.Red Kelly
    24.Bobby Clarke
    25.Larry Robinson
    26.Ken Dryden
    27.Frank Mahovlich
    28.Milt Schmidt
    29.Paul Coffey
    30.Henri Richard
    31.Bryan Trottier
    32.Dickie Moore
    33.Newsy Lalonde
    34.Syl Apps
    35.Bill Durnan
    36.Charlie Conacher
    37.Jaromir Jagr[4]
    38.Marcel Dionne
    39.Joe Malone
    40.Chris Chelios[5]
    41.Dit Clapper
    42.Bernie Geoffrion
    43.Tim Horton
    44.Bill Cook
    45.Johnny Bucyk
    46.George Hainsworth
    47.Gilbert Perreault
    48.Max Bentley
    49.Brad Park
    50.Jari Kurri
    51.Nels Stewart
    52.King Clancy
    53.Bill Cowley
    54.Eric Lindros
    55.Busher Jackson
    56.Peter Stastny
    57.Ted Kennedy
    58.Andy Bathgate
    59.Pierre Pilote
    60.Turk Broda
    61.Frank Boucher
    62.Cy Denneny
    63.Bernie Parent
    64.Brett Hull
    65.Aurel Joliat
    66.Toe Blake
    67.Frank Brimsek
    68.Elmer Lach
    69.Dave Keon
    70.Grant Fuhr
    71.Brian Leetch
    72.Earl Seibert
    73.Doug Bentley
    74.Borje Salming
    75.Georges Vezina
    76.Charlie Gardiner
    77.Clint Benedict
    78.Steve Yzerman
    79.Tony Esposito
    80.Billy Smith
    81.Serge Savard
    82.Alex Delvecchio
    83.Babe Dye
    84.Lorne Chabot
    85.Sid Abel
    86.Bob Gainey
    87.Johnny Bower
    88.Sprague Cleghorn
    89.Mike Gartner
    90.Norm Ullman
    91.Sweeney Schriner
    92.Joe Primeau
    93.Darryl Sittler
    94.Joe Sakic
    95.Dominik Hasek
    96.Babe Pratt
    97.Jack Stewart
    98.Yvan Cournoyer
    99.Bill Gadsby
    100.Frank Nighbor >>

LINDROS AT #54 are you kidding me???? What a bunch of friggen idiots who made up this list......... chaz
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

1.Wayne Gretzky
    2.Bobby Orr
    3.Gordie Howe
    4.Mario Lemieux[1]
    5.Maurice Richard
    6.Doug Harvey
    7.Jean Beliveau
    8.Bobby Hull
    9.Terry Sawchuk[2]
    10.Eddie Shore
    11.Guy Lafleur
    12.Mark Messier
    13.Jacques Plante
    14.Ray Bourque
    15.Howie Morenz
    16.Glenn Hall
    17.Stan Mikita[3]
    18.Phil Esposito
    19.Denis Potvin
    20.Mike Bossy
    21.Ted Lindsay
    22.Patrick Roy
    23.Red Kelly
    24.Bobby Clarke
    25.Larry Robinson
    26.Ken Dryden
    27.Frank Mahovlich
    28.Milt Schmidt
    29.Paul Coffey
    30.Henri Richard
    31.Bryan Trottier
    32.Dickie Moore
    33.Newsy Lalonde
    34.Syl Apps
    35.Bill Durnan
    36.Charlie Conacher
    37.Jaromir Jagr[4]
    38.Marcel Dionne
    39.Joe Malone
    40.Chris Chelios[5]
    41.Dit Clapper
    42.Bernie Geoffrion
    43.Tim Horton
    44.Bill Cook
    45.Johnny Bucyk
    46.George Hainsworth
    47.Gilbert Perreault
    48.Max Bentley
    49.Brad Park
    50.Jari Kurri
    51.Nels Stewart
    52.King Clancy
    53.Bill Cowley
    54.Eric Lindros
    55.Busher Jackson
    56.Peter Stastny
    57.Ted Kennedy
    58.Andy Bathgate
    59.Pierre Pilote
    60.Turk Broda
    61.Frank Boucher
    62.Cy Denneny
    63.Bernie Parent
    64.Brett Hull
    65.Aurel Joliat
    66.Toe Blake
    67.Frank Brimsek
    68.Elmer Lach
    69.Dave Keon
    70.Grant Fuhr
    71.Brian Leetch
    72.Earl Seibert
    73.Doug Bentley
    74.Borje Salming
    75.Georges Vezina
    76.Charlie Gardiner
    77.Clint Benedict
    78.Steve Yzerman
    79.Tony Esposito
    80.Billy Smith
    81.Serge Savard
    82.Alex Delvecchio
    83.Babe Dye
    84.Lorne Chabot
    85.Sid Abel
    86.Bob Gainey
    87.Johnny Bower
    88.Sprague Cleghorn
    89.Mike Gartner
    90.Norm Ullman
    91.Sweeney Schriner
    92.Joe Primeau
    93.Darryl Sittler
    94.Joe Sakic
    95.Dominik Hasek
    96.Babe Pratt
    97.Jack Stewart
    98.Yvan Cournoyer
    99.Bill Gadsby
    100.Frank Nighbor >>

LINDROS AT #54 are you kidding me???? What a bunch of friggen idiots who made up this list......... chaz >>

This list was made in 1998, so it explains why Lindros and a few others are further down the list.
  • Options
    "From 1967-1974 when playing with Bobby Orr he averaged roughly 130 points per season."

Not quite sure where you are going with this. Esposito showed clear progression in his first two seasons as a Bruin (67-68 74GP 35-49-84, 68-69 74GP 49-77-126) when Orr was somewhat hampered by injuries in his career progression (46GP 11-20-31 and 67GP 21-45-64. respectively). Clearly, they both benefitted from each others presence along with the continued improvement and addition of supporting players.

"If Bobby Orr played in the 1972 Summit Series, Canada would not have lost a game."

I respect you, PM, tremendously (although I do not post that often, I have seen enough posts both here and on the Net54 hockey forum to say this), however, this is a statement that is impossible to prove. Had Orr been healthy and Bobby Hull been allowed to play, would the series have been 4-3-1? Most likely, no. My gut tells me the Russians still would have won Game 1, though. Can't say for sure, though.

"I think some here are just looking at the lifetime stats and coming to the conclusion that Gretzky was better. This argument is about who was the better "player".
    Orr did EVERYTHING, Gretzky just shot and passed. When the argument is about who was the better "player", it's obvious the best player does everything. They both made their teammates better, but I just don't see the case for Gretzky being better than Orr. Orr did it all on offense and defense and won awards for both. No defensemen win scoring titles, only Orr."

While I understand the argument, it is a touch of apples and oranges. Gretzky would never be able to win the Norris as he was not a defenseman. The Norris is not a defensive defenseman award, otherwise Paul Coffey would not have won the award. Gretzky did kill penalties. He is, of course, the career leader in short-handed goals.

Please note that in my discussions, I never discount or diminish Orr's abilities or accomplishments. Gretzky seems to as he did not appear to have the raw abilities of Orr (or Lemieux). After watching all three play in their prime and taking into account all of their records and awards, I'd take Gretzky. That said, if I am second picking a team, the word "Orr" would be coming out of my mouth by the time the syllable "ky" was being said and, if picking third, I'd be starting the word "Lemieux" before the word "orr" was finished. They are the holy trinity of hockey.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This list was made in 1998, so it explains why Lindros and a few others are further down the list. >>

Yes. If you'll notice, Marty Brodeur is not even on the list, and Hasek is at 95.

Edit to add:
    Last post here as this should be in Sports Talk forum. I'm just very passionate about hockey.
  • Options
    I watched a little of Orr (as tv was limited back then).

I saw a ton of Gretzky, and saw even more of Lemieux.

I am a huge fan of Wayne Gretzky the person over Lemieux and Orr. Wayne was the best person for hockey ever. No
    one even comes close. What a great ambassador for the game. A true gentleman, and one heck of a hockey player.

The only thing that clouds my thinking when it comes to Gretzky was that he benefitted by playing with the 2nd best scoring defenseman
    of all time (Paul Coffey), who was one heck of a hockey player. He had Mark Messier who was also one of the all time greats.

I remember Gretzky hanging out at center ice waiting for breakaways because he knew Grant Fuhr, Coffey, or Siltanen would find him.
    I think Grant Fuhr was the first goalie who started getting a few assists. Gretzky was awesome, but he wasn't the two way juggernaut
    that Bobby Orr was. When Bobby was on the ice, he could shut down the other teams offense, while shredding their defense. Wayne
    could not do that.

Also I have to consider that Bobby did what he did on one very bad wheel. Wayne had no lower leg problems ever while playing
    for the Oilers (except when Billy Smith tried to hatchet him every once in a while). But seriously, he had no injuries until he had back
    issues with the Kings.