Home Sports Talk
Options

The Who Really Cares NY METS information for the day!

2»

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Now THAT'S more like it ... Mets are tied for last! (Probably not too often that the last place team, after 40 games, is 2 games over .500.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Mets needed that win! They hold on to win 6-5, with Frank Francisco notching his 10th save of the year. Daniel Murphy is hitting a very respectable .319 and teammate David Wright upped his league leading average to an incredible .412. David is now #2 on the Mets all time hit list, trailing only Ed Kranepool.

Wright is now in the top 3 on the Mets all-time list for Average, Hits, RBIs, Slugging %, OPS, Doubles, Runs Scored, Walks and Strikeouts.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Nice to see Johan Santana get some run support. Nikeas hits a Grand Slam and the Mets win 9-0. They are still 2.5 out of 1st and tied with Miami for 2nd place. Nice to see the Mets get 5 games over .500. Johan is only 2-2 but lowered his ERA to 2.75.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as the starting pitching holds up, the Mets will remain in thick of things...would be great after an offseason when no one gave them any chance of even finishing .500.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MAN is Dickey hot! Runs his record to 7-1 with today's 3 hitter. Back to back shutouts. I know it's the Padres, but still great to see.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    With nice overall pitching AND offensive performances, JEREMY HEFNER got his first MAJOR LEAGUE Win, Home Run, Hit and RBI all in the same game.

OMAR QUINTANILLA goes 3 for 4 in his first NY Mets game.

I'm liking how these AAA guys from Buffalo are performing. They also have a couple of great young pitchers on that AAA Team.

Back to 6 games over .500 and now tied for 2nd place, 1.5 games back.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Man ... TWICE in 3 days the Mets relievers give up a TON of runs in the 9th inning of close games. CAN'T do this too often and contend for the Division!

Well, a much needed off day today (especially for the bullpen). Tomorrow the Mets finish off their home stand with a four game series against the Cardinals. I think they need to win 3 of 4, as they will then travel for a tough 9 game road trip against the Nationals, Yankees and Rays.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    What a way to get the Card Series started. Thanks JOHAN! I've waited 50 years for this. Not only did he pitch the first NO HITTER but it was back to back complete game shutouts for Mr. Santana. Now only ONE game back.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    What a poor effort in these two losses to The Nationals. They could have been in first place after Tuesday, but even though they fought back a couple of time .... they end up blowing the damn game. Then last night ... oh well. They need to win tonight ... important game early in the season.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Man ... what a difference one week makes. Tough night for Santana. Two days ago the Mets had a great shot to get into first place all alone ... now they are 2.5 out. Seems like the Mets always have a tough time at Yankee Stadium. The Mets need Dillon Gee to continue pitching as well tonight as he has in his past three starts.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Well .. alittle catching up to do. After getting swept by the Yankees and sitting at 1-5 on the road trip, they go into Tampa Bay and sweep the first (or close to it) place Rays.

Now they are back in 2nd place by themselves. Tonight they start a NINE game home stand ... but it's a real tough one. Reds ... Yanks ... O's ... basically all first place teams. They really need to go 6-3 on this home stand. The Nationals are playing GREAT ball.

LET'S GO METS! Come on Tim ... Mike ... Eric ... let's hear some noise! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    wow ... all I can say is wow ... come home for a 9 game home stand (albeit against very good clubs) and drop the first three games. Thank goodness the Yankees swept the Nats, so the METS did not lose any ground.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Man ... R.A. DICKEY ... nothing else needs to be said.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Johan follows up Dickey's great performance with a very good one of his own. Met pitchers have now thrown 22 consecutive scoreless innings, the last 18 against the hard hitting O's. With the Washington loss, the Mets remain in 2nd place ... now 3 games back.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Do Mets fans think this team is

a) still young, but improving
    b) still young, but stagnating
    c) need to be completely rebuilt with new players (2013 firesale of remaining veterans)

I'd have to say I'm in camp "B" or "C". I like the new guys brought up from the farm system that last 2 years, I just don't see this core group developing into a bunch that is going to compete with Washington or Atlanta anytime soon. This feels like a perennial 3rd or 4th place team in the division. If I'm the GM, if this team isn't in contention at the all-star break next year, I'd consider moving some of my veteran pitching for a few more HIGH POTENTIAL ML-ready prospects.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    C'mom McAdams ... my METS are HOT! 7-3 in the last 10 games! WOO HOO! lol

BTW ... just noticed the way Tim Hudson was pitching this year ... very impressed. That lead me to look up his career stats and I saw that in his 14 years of MLB experience he has NEVER had a losing season! WOW.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I love Huddy. Wish we would have drafted him out of Auburn so we could have enjoyed his early years too.

Back to the Mets. I'm looking back on your farm system successes. You struck gold drafting Wright and you did well with Reyes. Time will tell with Ike Davis. At the early point in the Reyes and Wright contracts, your GM should have been able to build around those 2 and put together a winning club. Jason Bay was a terrible free agent signing, given your stadium (I called it instantly), but I can't quite figure out exactly how the train completely fell off the tracks. Is it that your farm system can't develop pitching, thus your always forced to pay up for free agent SPs?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.