Home Precious Metals
Options

out of town buyer writes bad checks

in oregon illinois ohio gold and silver refiners ( and other company names ) comes to town buys gold and silver for 5 days ... the problem all the checks are no good. no money in that account ! local police trying to get peoples money back.
dont send sheep to kill a wolf...

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably the same sellers that claim paypal sux. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am amazed that people would take checks from outfits like that..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>probably the same sellers that claim paypal sux. image >>

+1 image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    probably the same sellers that claim paypal sux

Or someone who is driven by greed and totally out for themself and lives on the site day & night?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Seriously. Crap. Really an expensive lesson. Ouch.
    I guess its a tough call if you have a business and need to make sales. Can they even get
    insurance to cover that kind of loss?

As an individual, I wouldn't even take a bank check.
    COA
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>probably the same sellers that claim paypal sux

Or someone who is driven by greed and totally out for themself and lives on the site day & night? >>

Not sure where you are coming from here. Blame the victim?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its all bush'es fault
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that a bullion/coin dealer would take a large personal check from a stranger without holding the purchased merchandise until after the check has cleared.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    some people fall for the full page ads in the newspaper. this con man has done this in other towns ...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Ohio Valley Gold & Silver", or something like that?

They were here a few years ago, and their business card had no phone number or address. Hmmmm. You can google them I believe. Both of my threads on them got vaporized, and I still don't know why.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were over in a town about 1 hr away last week, a guy called about a 55 ddo lincoln cent he had and that they had offered him 750.oo for it. Apparently he felt that was low(ya think) and wanted to know if I could submit it for him so he could sell it on e-bay. Anyway I happen to buy it myself for quite a bit more $, as he just outright sold it to me after I gave him an offer. Anyway, when he came in that day I was asking about thier set up and operation, he mentioned that a supervisor came out and told the buyers to hold up buying that they had problems with checks, and not to write any additional. I thought that was odd, cause even though they are scammers and low ball buyers, they usually are well funded!

by the way, the 55 ddo lincoln is a 62 brown.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would an outfit like that be accountable for hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash? As a coin dealer if you go to your bank and get $50K cash to start you day, wouldn't you eventually be expected to deposit a like or larger amount?
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>probably the same sellers that claim paypal sux. image >>

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over on the coin dealer network, a B&M based in Springfield, IL is reporting that a hotel buyer out of Springfield has been bouncing checks and that the police are seizing assets.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    These guys are pretty big. Looks like they may be toast. Look for a new name in a couple of weeks.

TRUTH
  • Options
    local police should be arresting the check writer
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>probably the same sellers that claim paypal sux

Or someone who is driven by greed and totally out for themself and lives on the site day & night? >>

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what a cheap shot!
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    comes with the turf, part of the game.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't directed at you at all derry and I'm surprised a simple comment I made is still being discussed almost a week later. Didn't realize some pay so close attention to what I say. In hindsight, I guess it could be viewed as a cheapshot, but it's mho, which I hope that I am still entiltled to?

btw, my stance on paypal has changed in the last week after a deal that I has reservations on from the beginning turned bad, and now I am only hoping the seller will make good on as she says she will. It's really my fault for entering into a transaction that I knew better not to because if what happened, happened (and of course it did with my crap luck), I would be in the position I am now as the buyer. Karma (talking bad about Paypal) truly is a (you know what)!

Edited to add:
    If anyone sees this bar anywhere, please let me know where you saw it so I can inform the authorities handling the case. You are looking at a bar that didn't make it to my P.O. box, only the envelope did.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    Thanks for clearing it up.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a big deal pieces but I had to have derryb's back, he has provided me with a lot of good info.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.