Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

cool Aethelred II penny with ancient hole and handle

WashingtonianaWashingtoniana Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
edited May 30, 2018 6:49PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I like the look of the "zeitgenössischer henkel" (contemporary handle) on this Aethelred II penny up for auction in July

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have an idea as to what purpose of this modification was? Unfortunately I can only read a little Spanish, and that's it so far as my foreign language skills are.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Europe Great Britain
    Aethelred II., 978-1016 Penny to 1000 Scandinavia (?) Irregular embossing, Long Cross Type, Av .: Half-length portrait with straight hair to the right (!) / Double crosshairs, each with three crescents at the ends, wild myths on both sides, strongly crystalline silver, contemporary handle (this slightly damaged) S. to 1151 North to 774 1.16 g. Rs-ss

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a better translation for "verwilderte Legenden" is ragged legends. I like the idea of wild myths, though :)

• Options
    WashingtonianaWashingtoniana Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Do you have an idea as to what purpose of this modification was? Unfortunately I can only read a little Spanish, and that's it so far as my foreign language skills are.

It's probably not possible to know for sure, but I like things like this because they spark the imagination. My guess is that it's probably simply a memento or decoration, like part of a fibula or something, but it might also be a battle or civil award. They did this in some places in the past - basically hole or mount a coin, sometimes gild it, and voila, you have a war medal. I want to believe this was an award for particularly effective pillaging, and not just piece of a broken medieval safety pin.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

Spur rowel?

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to know what metal the handle and rivet are made of. This ancient coin is interesting, what someone improvised out of it is curious but might not be historically relevant to the age of the coin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks exceptionally crude even for that time. Is it possibly a counterfeit that was altered for household use?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭

This is worth showing to an archaeologist or historian

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed this thread the first time around.

The coin is not English. It is imitative and probably Scandinavian in origin.