Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 PL Washington Quarter. Obverse PL, Reverse Semi-PL

PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a surprise pick from yesterday for $7! I was at a B&M in Ft. Wayne looking to add some Washie's to my collection. I always look for varieties, and also PL's. This particular specimen had me baffled on first sight, as the flip indicated it was a business strike, and I was certain if was a proof. On further inspection; I noticed the "E" and "S" in states were not separated on the reverse, as seen on proofs, and happily set this one aside. I believe there is only one fully PL in the NGC census, not certain with ANACS- just happy to have one that's very, very, close! Hens teeth I tell's ya!

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.
    I'm quite interested in Washington Quarters but unfortunately I am not an expert on them.
    Perhaps it was struck on a Proof planchet?

ProofArtworkonCircs (Herb) was telling me about a Proof 1952 quarter that had the small ES gap.
    He was telling me about a type B over type A and he also told me about some PUP's to look for.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

Thanks for your interest sparky64, I looked for diagnostics on proof '64's, and business strikes prior to posting. Mostly with the obverse, as I was curious as if perhaps an obverse proof die ventured into production...was hoping to identify some characteristic with the obverse proof that was different from the business strike...I couldn't find any. There is't any heavy die polish lines as one would suspect with a PL Washie...IDK. I'd say yes, proof die put in production....was common...look at the frequency of reverse per type "B." Yet, I can't say for certain so this is one of those probably; but, unverifiable. Mirrors are awesome though...obverse in hand looks truly proof.

Thank you.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is a B&M?

thefinn
  • Options

Your question on planchet...sorry, I was more focused on die's, not so much planchets. Maybe...idk, seems more of a proof obverse die to me, yet not out of the realm of possibility. Good thoughts.

• Options

@thefinn said:
    What is a B&M?

Brick and Mortar

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking quarter... though it has seen some handling - dings and nicks show on both sides. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file