Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins used as measurement

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are often used as a measurement device. Post your uses for coins in measuring things.

I caught my biggest Halibut on a kayak over the weekend in San Diego. Here is a dime on the large fish. 34.5 inches. I caught two legals that day.

Comments

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice fish!!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Fish. Now what happens when you hook onto that 120 pound Halibut?

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Very nice ErrorsOnCoins, nice looking Halibut, the perfect size for eating. I used do a lot of fishing, sport and commercial (years ago) and miss it a lot. I come from a family of commercial fisherman as well as a Tug Boat business (family no longer owns it). Keep fishing on and have a lot of fun doing it!

Oh and nice looking dime! lol

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    That coin is not to scale!

Tom, you're very witty. This is not the first clever comment I've seen you make.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2018 4:13PM

@Gluggo said:

Those would be the Pacific Halibut, The ones in San Diego are California Halibut which are much smaller altho this is a big one, but not huge.

I do want to fish for the Pacific Version in Alaska or NorCal on a kayak.

My biggest fish on a kayak is 135 pounds.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so sure I would eat a fish from those waters, especially a bottom dweller. But I'm sure the fight was fun.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2018 4:22PM

@AUandAG said:
    Not so sure I would eat a fish from those waters, especially a bottom dweller. But I'm sure the fight was fun.

bob :)

Well, there are nuclear subs docked less than a quarter mile away. Naval security hounds us kayak fisherman.

As to eating, well these fish come in from the Pacific Ocean to spawn in shallow waters. Fantastic eating.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 5:31PM

A dime can be used to check the choke of a 12 gauge shotgun barrel. If a dime doesn't fit in the muzzle it's a full choke. If it does fit the muzzle it's a modified choke or a more open choke.
    A Lincoln Cent can be used to check the tread on your car tires. Put the base of the cent in a groove between treads. The tread thickness should be at least the distance between the base of Lincoln's bust and the edge of the coin. If the tread is shallower than this it's time to shop for new tires.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Lincoln cent is 3/4 inch. An Ike dollar is 1.50 inch.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Around 1848 after one of the French revolutions new non-regal coin designs were proposed. One pattern 10 Centimes had a small ruler on the back showing its diameter at 3.00 centimeters. It's weight was 10.0 grams. It was intended to help promote the metric system.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    A Lincoln cent is 3/4 inch. An Ike dollar is 1.50 inch.

Oh great, now I got to find $1.02 somewhere.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 5:58PM

He made it big in term of $$$ ;) $24.99 / lb the market price today ;)

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Gluggo said:

Those would be the Pacific Halibut, The ones in San Diego are California Halibut which are much smaller altho this is a big one, but not huge.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Yes it would have been more appropriate to use a three-cent silver coin. Anybody know why?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:

@CaptHenway said:

Yes it would have been more appropriate to use a three-cent silver coin. Anybody know why?

Nickname: fish scale

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@astrorat said:

@CaptHenway said:

Nickname: fish scale

Dang! Maybe that was too easy! LOL

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Canadian large cent (1858 to 1920) is exactly 1 Inch in diameter :)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I don't have to pay those prices for food!

@Paradisefound said:
    He made it big in term of $$$ ;) $24.99 / lb the market price today ;)

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Gluggo said:

• Options
    edited May 30, 2018 8:07PM

;) now you know why I could not afford a Barber :# "
    Guessed it costs having them shipped over the Pacific.... Is it really "less for more" or "more for less"? ;)

@amwldcoin said:

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to somehow acquire a taste for seafood! I can grow my own veggies etc...but my protein diet would suffer tremendously if the Pisces in me couldn't become a cannibal!

@Paradisefound said:
    ;) now you know why I could not afford a Barber :# "
    Guessed it costs having them on them shipped over the Pacific.... Is it really "less for more" or "more for less"? ;)

@amwldcoin said:

• Options

TWO kinds of mushrooms. :s:s:s

I'll take the tiramisu instead.

At least you got a credit for bringing your own bags.

• Options

Our landfill is getting full by seconds....the island may sink otherwise

@JBK said:

• Options

:D I see you are not the mushroom guy...What is it? The texture or the the taste ;)

@JBK said:

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I talk to patients about how big their rotator cuff tear or cartilage injury was I usually compare it to a coin. Nobody understands centimeters but everyone has an intuitive sense of how big a dime is.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    :D I see you are not the mushroom guy...What is it? The texture or the the taste ;)

@JBK said:

Very perceptive....it is the texture. But I like olives so I can't figure it out.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:

But you are surrounded by so much water. Why don't you just throw your trash in the ocean? JUST KIDDING! >:)

Maybe into the volcano.....

• Options

<3 cheers
    mine too.....

• Options
    edited May 30, 2018 10:37PM

May end up in Southern Cal and God be hold @justcommeman would not be happy with me ;)

@JBK said:

@Paradisefound said:

But you are surrounded by so much water. Why don't you just throw your trash in the ocean? JUST KIDDING! >:)

• Options

:) the latter is a winner....you may get a contract with the State of HI conservatory dept.....Go ahead provide your original idea for their consideration. Make sure you patent it first :)

@Paradisefound said:
    May end up in South Cal and God be hold @justcommeman would not be happy with me ;)

@JBK said:

@Paradisefound said:

• Options

Thank you for your life saving work!

@BryceM said:
    When I talk to patients about how big their rotator cuff tear or cartilage injury was I usually compare it to a coin. Nobody understands centimeters but everyone has an intuitive sense of how big a dime is.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a 1933 Double Eagle would look better on the fish. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice fish! I used to fish out near the Farallon islands for rock cod. The whale visits were a trip. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 7:56AM

Nice one!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to go salmon fishing near the Farallon Islands when I lived in northern California...as far as measuring with coins, I remember using the cent for tire tread years ago....and a quarter is only 3/64's short of an inch, so often, when without a ruler, have used a quarter to check a small measurement. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

yes, theres something fishy here.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Gluggo said:

I am impressed nice job on the 135 pounder. I imagine you have alot of training I have a few friends who went through training on Kayaks and they tell me it can be dangerous when you tip over upside down. I guess its hard to get back rightside. I never been on one myself but I am impressed! Good job.

• Options
    edited May 31, 2018 8:40AM

I> @Gluggo said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Gluggo said:

I am impressed nice job on the 135 pounder. I imagine you have alot of training I have a few friends who went through training on Kayaks and they tell me it can be dangerous when you tip over upside down. I guess its hard to get back rightside. I never been on one myself but I am impressed! Good job.

You are thinking about sit in kayaks. Kayak fishermen use sit on kayaks. You are never suppose to tip over a sit on kayak, lots of gear would be lost if that happened. Tipping on open water is a bad thing. We do sometimes tip over going in or out of the surf at the beach. All your gear gets spewed across the beach and surf line, we call that a yard sale.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! so that's what you are using dimes for bait. Note to safe take two rolls of dimes when going out to fish. I really love fishing very cool.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice fish! I have found memories of being on at the Farallon islands for rock cod. The whales visitors were a trip. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pic @asheland :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@asheland , did you go up in the tower. My family did that recently very cool.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 11:19AM

@CaptHenway said:
    Around 1848 after one of the French revolutions new non-regal coin designs were proposed. One pattern 10 Centimes had a small ruler on the back showing its diameter at 3.00 centimeters. It's weight was 10.0 grams. It was intended to help promote the metric system.

This is a piedfort at 20 grams

Edited to add - I think Shield Nickels were supposed to be metric as well. They are exactly 5 grams in weight, but slightly larger than 2 cm diameter.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston thanks! :)
    @ErrorsOnCoins unfortunately we didn't have time that day and never got back to do that. :( (We were planning to)
    My brother lived about two miles from Balboa park last year (Banker's Hill) but moved recently.
    We were all over the area seeing quite a lot, but missed out going up into the tower. Maybe next time! :)

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    A Canadian large cent (1858 to 1920) is exactly 1 Inch in diameter :)

Same as the British and Commonwealth ½d

We had an earlier discussion of them here

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

BryceM said:

"Nobody understands centimeters but everyone has an intuitive sense of how big a dime is."

I have found this not only to be true, but even laypersons, those not knowledgeable about coins, and particularly those unaware of the obsolete half dime, seem to frequently use its size when describing other objects. I often see the term "half dime size" used when describing objects. A half dime is certainly not half the diameter of a dime, so it is not generally perceived as 'half the size' of a dime (although it did contain exactly one half the weight of silver), and I am reasonably confident that these people are not referring to the thickness. I find it interesting that a coin denomination long gone from commerce for 145 years, and completely unknown to most people, remains in their minds as an object of measurement.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@carabonnair said:

@CaptHenway said:

This is a piedfort at 20 grams

Edited to add - I think Shield Nickels were supposed to be metric as well. They are exactly 5 grams in weight, but slightly larger than 2 cm diameter.

Thanks for the picture!

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dad has used a dime as a screw driver to adjust Leupold scopes while sighting in hunting rifles out in the field. More of a tool use than for measure.

A nickel has a mass of 5 grams, seen it used to calibrate balance scales.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

Weight tolerance 3 grains, or roughly 0.195 gram, so not very good for calibration.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file