Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cherry Pickers Guide?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has CPG 6th Edition Volume II been released? If not, is their an idea of when?
Thanks,
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in Barnes and Noble last Friday and did not see it. Purchased two other coin books though (Carson City Morgan Dollars & Silver).... Cheers, RickO

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any idea when, Ron?

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

I talked to Bill Fivaz and he wasn't sure when it would be out. I think Whitman may have some say in the matter.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told 2020.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

I think it's important that they are published on a regular basis, maybe every two years, by publishing one volume one year and then publishing the other volume the year after.

Well, I remember the golden days of new varieties being found. Coin World's Collectors Clearinghouse had published a lot of new stuff in the 60's and 70's, and Bill Fivaz was one of our regular contributors.

At the 1977 ANA in Atlanta there was a big meeting of error and variety collectors. I was sitting next to Bill during the program and he was showing me the stuff he had cherry picked on the floor.

One was an 1857 F.E. cent with an odd raised area in AMERICA plus some other odd markings. I recognized it as a variety that had been published in Clearinghouse a couple of times over the years as a "Whatsit?" But those had all been low grade coins.
    (Cont.)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

(cont.)
    This one was a nice, high grade piece. I studied it for a while and then all of a sudden the image popped into my mind that that was the design of a Seated Liberty half dollar or quarter, reversed. I told this to Bill and he was happily surprised. He studied it and agreed with me. This was the first time anybody had suggested a dual-denomination clash mark.

For the next 20 years or so Bill beat the bushes looking for and finding new varieties, including the other two 1857 dual-denomination clash marks and lots of other neat stuff. He and J.T. Stanton used to publish a newsletter with new discoveries. However, eventually his discoveries wound down because he, and others, had found most of the significant varieties in existence. Interest in the books wound down as the rate of discovery wound down.

TD

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    (cont.)
    This one was a nice, high grade piece. I studied it for a while and then all of a sudden the image popped into my mind that that was the design of a Seated Liberty half dollar or quarter, reversed. I told this to Bill and he was happily surprised. He studied it and agreed with me. This was the first time anybody had suggested a dual-denomination clash mark.

For the next 20 years or so Bill beat the bushes looking for and finding new varieties, including the other two 1857 dual-denomination clash marks and lots of other neat stuff. He and J.T. Stanton used to publish a newsletter with new discoveries. However, eventually his discoveries wound down because he, and others, had found most of the significant varieties in existence. Interest in the books wound down as the rate of discovery wound down.

TD

I am amazed that the reverse image seated coin could have popped into your head.
    That is very impressive...I wouldn't have thought of that in 100 years.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Any idea when, Ron?

What I've heard is that they're sitting on way too many unsold 5th editions of Vol. II to release the 6th, much to the chagrin of many variety collectors and contributors to the CPG that want errors fixed.

• howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Interest in the books wound down as the rate of discovery wound down.

TD

Y'all should look for shield nickel varieties. I am still cataloguing numerous new varieties every year.

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 7:16PM

@CaptHenway said:
    (cont.)

TD

I know one they missed.... and someone who is waiting to frame a picture of a certain dime :)

Personally though, if they are going to come 5+ years apart (per volume) due to lack of new major discoveries, I’d rather they go the Mega Red approach and load them with not only the better ones, but the lesser varieties. There are so many decent Wexler/CONECA varieties not in the CPG that I’d still like to have in one place versus all the various specialty books.

Or maybe do a yearly supplement if a total reprint/new volume is cost prohibitive or a full blown website.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

"Or maybe do a yearly supplement if a total reprint/new volume is cost prohibitive or a full blown website."

That would be an excellent idea!

J. T. Stanton passed away last night.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    J. T. Stanton passed away last night.

Oh no. I met him in Atlanta many years ago. He helped attribute a 5-leg buffalo for me. Sorry to hear this. :(

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awww man. Condolences to the Stanton family.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

So sad. I talked to him at length on the phone this past spring. He was a class guy.

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh wow! Such a gentleman. Such sad news. I am heartbroken.

CaptHenway, You should start a thread on this news so that this thread doesn't get hijacked.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear this news. He was a great contributor to our hobby. My condolences to the Stanton's.
    Jim

Here is a notice sent out by Bill Fivaz:

To all:

I just confirmed the arrangements for J.T.'s funeral.

The viewing will be on Monday, Oct. 22, at 11 AM at the Radiant Life Christian Fellowship Church, 5619 Skidaway Rd., Savannah, GA 31406, and the funeral at 12 noon. The phone number for the church is (912) 354-1780. In lieu of flowers, donations are requested to be sent to The Wounded Warriors Project, P.O. Box 758517, Topeka, KS 66675-8517.

--
    Best regards,

Bill

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the next 20 years or so Bill beat the bushes looking for and finding new varieties, including the other two 1857 dual-denomination clash marks and lots of other neat stuff. He and J.T. Stanton used to publish a newsletter with new discoveries.

Yea, I remember getting some of those newsletters.

Jo-Ja Gems. Georgia Gems for those of us above the Mason Dixon Line.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file