Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has a savvy auctioneer ever coaxed an extra bid out of you...?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

If so were you still satisfied with the purchase.

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and yes.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I set a price and that's it.

• Options

I have at least a couple of times. Setting a limit is fine but real life is less robotic.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine had a failed party store.
    I watched the auction.
    The auctioneer was amazing.
    He would point to the guy who was about to bid against himself.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard of this "potted plant." Do I take that to mean that the auction caller literally assigned the next (higher) bid to a non-existent bidder? What happened if no one bid after that - did he then try to pawn the lot off on the underbidder?

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will now believe it was a "savvy auctioneer", rather than my own stupidity.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2018 8:24PM

Consistently, in which case the response at $2300 is to immediately and noticeably shake your head, thrust your paddle in the air and call out $1800, at which point 30% of the audience is already grinning or shaking their heads >:):#:p .
    An actual competitor virtually always appeared and you could bid your top with impunity afterwards, usually a half-increment cheaper or more.

Stacks sold a lot of house coins and Larry bought some neat stuff out of their own auctions that a year or two later he would re-consign. I have a garbage-can memory and sometimes don't know what I've noticed until I'm reminded. Took me until its 3rd appearance to buy the Northern Bay (last massively-great raw silver type auction) 1839 ND 50c. A dozen others likely noticed it as being the third time 'round in three years, and likely thought I didn't know what I was doing. I took it for its first trip ever outside of 57th St and made about 15% quickly at the next Long Beach on a walk-thru..

But nobody gets played like that anymore. Too much transparency via archival access.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m pretty sure I raised my own bid once. Does that count?

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling that a fair number of us have never bid live in an auction. Much easier to keep your head attached when sitting in your easy chair at home.....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Live auctions can be very interesting when the testosterone starts flowing...I have seen some crazy things happen at auctions.... Personally, I have a set value at live auctions. I have tossed in nuclear bids on ebay and paid a tad more than planned... but no complaints on those. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, three weeks ago, a bag of foreign currency...I don't even collect foreign currency. Yet, it was indicated in listing the bag had an exchange value of $152...I didn't know for sure. Auctioneer said, "Get it started Rich..." well, I did, and ended up buying for $15. Found a bank that would exchange, Had Chinese, Brazilian, Taiwan, Polish, and some Bahamian currency. Some of the currency they wouldn't take due to age, and I started getting a bit nervous when the teller was asking me if I visited those countries, traveled, etc., and I thought to myself, "I'm the only one stupid enough to do this....wth am I doing....."?

I ended up getting $48 in exchange...just hope I'm not put on the no fly list, phone tapped, and get my accounts frozen...lol! heehee.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 4:28PM

I think it's funny when they publicly challenge you....." Are you gonna let him beat you over a $500 bill??" Lol

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't, but I've seen people get caught up in the "FRENZY!!!"
    I saw a guy hold his paddle up against the wall once. His way of letting everyone know that he was going to win it unless you pushed him too high - then he would let it drop and leave you stuck with it.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:
    I haven't, but I've seen people get caught up in the "FRENZY!!!"
    I saw a guy hold his paddle up against the wall once. His way of letting everyone know that he was going to win it unless you pushed him too high - then he would let it drop and leave you stuck with it.

Not a bad strategy.

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    I think it's funny when they publicly challenge you....." Are you gonna let him beat you over a $500 bill??" Lol

Yup, when bidding was down to 2 usually, and the underbidder was slow to bid/stopped, my local auctioneer used to say almost the same things. “Don’t let him/her do that to you, 1 more (bid) you might have it” or “I think they’re weakening, try it one more time” and yes... often I’d jump back in :)

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options

My parents liked antiques and in the summer we often headed to the rural auctions to kill an afternoon.

I asked my dad for a quarter to get a hot dog. He waved me off and the auctioneer took it as a bid. He ended up winning a set of bizarre ships lanterns.

He told the story to anyone that would listen for the next 30 years. Guess the 4 bucks turned out to be a bargain.

I miss the old man.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    My parents liked antiques and in the summer we often headed to the rural auctions to kill an afternoon.

I asked my dad for a quarter to get a hot dog. He waved me off and the auctioneer took it as a bid. He ended up winning a set of bizarre ships lanterns.

He told the story to anyone that would listen for the next 30 years. Guess the 4 bucks turned out to be a bargain.

I miss the old man.

Rural auctions are a lot of fun. Sometimes one even gets some cool and unusual things at great prices. I have never encountered good coins at a good price, though.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 11:01AM

My hands would be shaking and won't able to raise neither.....How would you know if there are "fix" bidders out there working together to prop the increments? :o:/

@ricko said:
    Live auctions can be very interesting when the testosterone starts flowing...I have seen some crazy things happen at auctions.... Personally, I have a set value at live auctions. I have tossed in nuclear bids on ebay and paid a tad more than planned... but no complaints on those. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound.... If you go to enough trade auctions, you can usually spot them... if you are an occasional attendee, then you will not know. I attended police firearm auctions a few times and they were ok...no fake bidders there. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but I did yell at a phone agent to tell the auctioneer to close the lot when he inexplicably paused at length multiple times for another single phone bidder who had been chipping away at my pre-sale max but was still several substantial increments away from eclipsing me.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

No need to coax a bid out of me when I really like a coin...I can’t shut up. ;)

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 9:51PM

Nope

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it was Dan Dotson with Storage Wars he said come on Rice you want to be a bride or a bridesmaid, That's all it took after that he called me the bid em up man, made some pay good $$$ for nothing.

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file