Home Precious Metals
Options

Honest person buys used suitcase at thrift store and finds $10,000+ in gold inside; returns it

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 27, 2018 1:46PM in Precious Metals

A heartwarming story about an honest man who bought a used suitcase, found $10,000+ in gold inside, and tracked down the heir of the person who hid it there.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_31904485/visting-egyptian-scholar-chances-gold-coin-cache-finds?source=mostpopular

The moral of the story is: If you do hide your gold and/or other valuables somewhere, make sure to leave a sealed note to your heirs marked "TO BE OPENED IN THE EVENT OF MY DEATH" or the like so they can find it!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

so it appears that there is hope for humanity after all

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2018 3:09PM

@chumley said:

Some Devine intervention
    The person that donated the case rather then throwing it out and the person buying it.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chumley said:

Yea, I agree. I still get surprised when someone holds a door for me.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG, sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive story.... There is still a significant segment of humanity that is honest.... and civil. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh happy day !

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminder: Sell everything B4 ya go to the other side.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

About ten years ago while I was still working I appraised an estate that had literally 4,400 British gold sovereigns hidden in a house amongst a household full of trash. If the junior member of the law firm handling the estate had not wondered why an old juice box covered in duct tape was so heavy and investigated it all might have ended up in a dumpster. They had to go through every piece of trash in that house, and they did.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    About ten years ago while I was still working I appraised an estate that had literally 4,400 British gold sovereigns hidden in a house amongst a household full of trash. If the junior member of the law firm handling the estate had not wondered why an old juice box covered in duct tape was so heavy and investigated it all might have ended up in a dumpster. They had to go through every piece of trash in that house, and they did.

Now THAT would be an interesting segment of the TV show Hoarders!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces