Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British King "Bullet Book" - Cnut, 1016 - 1035

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2018 6:03AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Cnut Penny, S-1158 (circa 1024 - 1030)

• Cnut or Canute was about 20 years old when he became king.

• Cnut was Danish and was familiar with the power struggles of his home country.
In 1014 he returned to Denmark to claim the Danish throne and would become one of the most powerful monarchs in Northern Europe.

• Cnut brought the Saxon lords to heal by force or exile but was willing to cultivate loyalty where that was possible.

• He was a successful king who cultivated a feeling of nationhood between English and the Danes. His reign brought a period of stability to England that it had not known for many years.

• His diplomatic successes were so great that he was able to marry the widow of Æthelred II, which for a Dane, was a great political achievement.

• The fable of Cnut: One day the king had his throne set on the shoreline as the tide was rising. Cnut commanded the tide not to lap up where he sat, but it continued to rise. Moral: There are limits even to the power of a king, and Cnut acknowledged that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazingly well preserved hammered piece.
    Thanks for posting

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like his headgear!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I like his headgear!

That one of the comments that those who write the catalogs and guide books about the cnut coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?