Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Tooled

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, sometimes I think that I do well, at least under the criteria that I use for my collecting interests. I recently won a 1619 Brunswick "Wildman" taler at auction. PCGS ruled it as "Tooled," which for my purposes, was fine. I did not notice anything significant in the photo. In fact, upon receipt, I did not see anything that I thought of, as tooled. In fact, upon second reading of the item description, I realized that the tooling was what appeared to be random scratches. Is this tooling? I thought tooling was when someone works the details of a coin or medal with a fine (hopefully) instrument. This does not appear to be the case here. So, am I mistaken in my definition?

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

The background has been smoothed (tooled).

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Under higher magnification, I think I see what you mean.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

For 1619 this wildman image is impressive, what with the six pack, bohemian beard, plant Speedo and tree club. He is probably Rumplstilskins cousin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 2:47PM

If you consider the area where the wildman is standing to be a clock, look at 4 to 5 o’clock and you will see a scraped area where there a bush or something to right of his calf. That is where, I think, the tooling was cited. You will note that that area is a slightly lighter color.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a very cool coin!