Home U.S. Coin Forum

1982-d penny worth $0.01? It is me again, with a not new topic. But this time with better evidence

Bobjoe56Bobjoe56 Posts: 22
edited May 26, 2018 12:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

1982-d definitely a small date, sounds like copper. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/6abFfsYbBXg

^a link to a video about it too

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

You only have two options:

Weight it on a good digital scale. They are cheap and I recently got one. As a collector you will use it all the time.

Or build a popsicle stick scale. I did it with my son when he was helping me fill a circulation cent folder. The instructions are online but this is one way:

1.get a popsicle stick, some wood glue, and one of those pencils that aren't round, but instead are a hexagon? shape so it will not roll.

1. Glue the stick across the pencil right in the middle so it acts as a fulcrum and the stick stays balanced. Many ways to do this precisely. Maybe put a known copper or zinc on both ends and make it balance.

2. Now you have a "scale". Compare your coin to a known copper. Put yours on one end, a known copper on the other. They will either balance or one will drop. With this test it is obvious even with a slight variation if they are the same or different.

Hope this helps.

• Yes it did thank you! I don’t have the scale quite yet, I’m visiting a coin collectors store here soon, I’ll post a picture of the results when I get to it

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

The counter design makes it look like the coin is on old, salted sandy snow.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

$18000? If you get that, please let me know where.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2018 9:11AM

RE: "Or build a popsicle stick scale. I did it with my son when he was helping me fill a circulation cent folder."

The only disadvantage to a popsicle stick scale is that you need a kid light enough to sit on one end of the stick.....and still balance against the coin. One grain of wheat weighs about 50mg, so you could use wheat grains instead of a kid. ;)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bobjoe56 said:
    Yes it did thank you! I don’t have the scale quite yet, I’m visiting a coin collectors store here soon, I’ll post a picture of the results when I get to it

That'll work for one coin. But you should build the popsicle stick cent scale so you have it handy. It's easy, just Google it. I used it to fill the 1982 varieties in a circulated folder I was doing before I bought an accurate digital one. That way you have a tool you can use going forward - which is invaluable.

• If the penny weighs 2.5 plus or minus .13 grams, it’s normal and isn’t worth more than face value. But if it weighs 3.11 plus or minus .1 grams it could be extremely valuable. I’m basing my guessing price on one of the same error coins that sold in 2017 for $18860 at an auction. It was a 1982-d small date copper penny.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your pics don't show the bubbling that is seen on many 1982-era zinc cents. based on that, I'm going to hold out a "definitely maybe".

Go get yourself a digital scale. I bought myself a DZ3-600 last year on eBay for about $5. I see lots of choices for that or other brands for under $10 delivered. Pick one. Pretty much any digital scale should able to tell the difference between 3.1 grams and 2.5 grams, if the scale works at all.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2018 11:09AM

Looks zinc to me, but I hope for your sake it is copper. Needs to be weighed and SD confirmed.

BTW I think the first one that sold was the discovery piece and in better shape, but another one would still be rare and valuable.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bobjoe56 said:
    If the penny weighs 2.5 plus or minus .13 grams, it’s normal and isn’t worth more than face value. But if it weighs 3.11 plus or minus .1 grams it could be extremely valuable. I’m basing my guessing price on one of the same error coins that sold in 2017 for $18860 at an auction. It was a 1982-d small date copper penny.

But that coin was certified as GENUINE, yours is not. Anything is possible. Twenty consecutive coin flips can all come out "heads." Good Luck

• That is true. That’s why I’m weighing it, and if it weighs in at copper, I’ll send it in to PCGS to get it certified. I’m definitely not saying it’s certified, I’m just saying it’s a possibility.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be prepared to only get 17k

• TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Looking at the finish on the coin I would say it’s zinc

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda looks like a double die too :smiley: .................SCORE

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • @OldEastside said:
    Kinda looks like a double die too :smiley: .................SCORE

Steve

Where do you see that?

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts------Naw worth $.01

• So the bearer of bad news has arrived: it weighs 2.54 grams. It’s zinc

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Told ya! :D But thx for letting us know, and keep on looking. There must be another out there and someone has to find it so it might as well be you. Also scrutinize 1983 cents for one struck on a leftover copper planchet.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like a link to the $18,000 coin please. 82d copper and zincs are common except in 68 or above, 'eh?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

thx, never too old to learn!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Yes, I think the 1982 cent set is comprised of 7 coins. The 82D SD copper was not supposed to exist.

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is there a question mark in the OP's title. Either it is or is isn't. Takes 30 seconds to tell.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for coming back and telling us... even if it was bad news.... Best of luck in your searches... Cheers, RickO

• UTTM07UTTM07 Posts: 313 ✭✭

Make a video flipping the coins. That way there's no extra noise from the countertop, just the coin ringing or not. Zinc cents will be totally silent when flipped and copper with ring clearly.

• I also have a 1982 D mark penny

• Mine weighs 3.1 g do i have something worth money

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ilovecoins36 said:
    Mine weighs 3.1 g do i have something worth money

It's worth one cent so it is worth money.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file