Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My contemporary counterfeit 1 real coins

WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
edited May 24, 2018 9:59PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

A few years ago a made the dedicated choice to collect and study contemporary circulating counterfeits. While there has been some literature on the more common 8 reales and 2 reales CC pieces, not much is out there on these smaller denominations. Just wanted to share the examples I have picked up so far along this journey. I've posted these before individually on CCF and this thread is duplicated on CT. These are all struck from privately made dies and not the later design transfer and/or cast copies.
@TwoKopeiki you asked to see my contemporary counterfeits, so I am slowly organizing and posting :)

1782 (MO-FF). The mint mark and assayer are not visible on this coin, but there are a few other examples documented which show it. Weight ~2.72 grams, white metal alloy.

1804 (MO-TH). As with the last one, mint/assayer not visible, but a few other documented examples. Very weakly struck, had to photograph it at a sharp angle to the light to clearly capture details. Weight ~2.57 grams, white metal alloy.

Undated, likely NG-M. This is the only example I've been able to find of this type, as well as with Guatemala marks in general. One of two types known to me so far which do not bear Mexico mint and assayer marks. Weight ~2.48 grams, white metal alloy.

1809 NR-FJ (fantasy date). Also the only example I could find of this type and with Colombia marks. The second of two types known to me so far which do not bear Mexico mint and assayer marks. Weight ~2 grams, white metal alloy.

1833 (?) Zs-M. One of the more interesting pieces (IMO). The mint mark Z is slanted and the superscript S's all have dots above rather than below. Weight ~2.86, material uncertain. Tests positive for silver on magnetic slide, but may be plated with copper core. This one has an edge design, which is a sequence of rudimentary crescents or partial circles and dots.

1862 Zs-VL. I recently found out some very interesting info regarding this coin (thanks to realeswatcher and swamperbob from CCF for sharing the history). Apparently there was a large cache of 1860's and up cores, stripped of any silver coating, found near the site of an old silver reprocessing plant in Mexico. There were many such locally made crude pieces in copper, as well as some better quality brass pieces identified as European imports. This example seems to be the latter. It also has a rudimentary edge design which looks like donuts. Weight ~2.73 grams, brass.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic post! Thank you!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing! Those are great - love the crudeness of that early Zacatecas piece!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great information, thank you !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Rare birds those portrait 1 real contemporary counterfeits are; likewise 1/2 real and I don't know of any 4 reales! I only own about a dozen cap and rays contemporary counterfeit 1 reales, and am missing the portrait types.

Thanks for sharing - cool to see these from a fellow enthusiast.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2018 8:55PM

@Koinicker said:
    Rare birds those portrait 1 real contemporary counterfeits are; likewise 1/2 real and I don't know of any 4 reales! I only own about a dozen cap and rays contemporary counterfeit 1 reales, and am missing the portrait types.

Thanks for sharing - cool to see these from a fellow enthusiast.

Thanks! I haven't seen a cc portrait 4R either. Seen maybe two examples of a portrait 1/2R, but definitely rare. I'll certainly share if I come across any, but the prospects aren't looking so good with the 4R's :(

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options

Looking through my modest collection, I do have one portrait 1/2 real, and actually, to my surprise, two portrait 1 real counterfeits - 1 is hand-made, dated 1793, and the other is 1799 which looks like a transfer die. Both are brass. Sorry, no photos of these yet!

• Options

@Koinicker said:
    Looking through my modest collection, I do have one portrait 1/2 real, and actually, to my surprise, two portrait 1 real counterfeits - 1 is hand-made, dated 1793, and the other is 1799 which looks like a transfer die. Both are brass. Sorry, no photos of these yet!

Would love to see them when you have a chance :)

• Options

@WorldCoinsDmitry said:

@Koinicker said:

Would love to see them when you have a chance :)

I'm getting a new copy stand for my camera in a week. By then I plan to shoot a bunch of coins and I'll add these to the list.