Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Restoration service

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think PCGS restoration service could help this coin regarding the verdigris?
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are stains in the metal. Usually they can be temporarily "toned down" a bit but they usually return over time.

• Options

So that is not verdigris? So it will get worse, then? Thanks, I2.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2018 1:34PM

@jesbroken said:
    So that is not verdigris? So it will get worse, then? Thanks, I2.

Not much worse, it may darken a little more over time in the "right" (wrong) environment. Usually it is like a "Woodie" on a cent only not as attractive.

Additionally, the "green" color around the Bison needs to be removed. That's probably what you are referring to. Over time, the that will etch the surface. Acetone will take it off.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

the green is a little concerning but I think you should leave it alone.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2
    Zoom in on the protected areas around five cents and Unites States.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been told, by PCGS, that if it isn't active, then it isn't a big concern to them...if already slabbed. So, while restoration may do something, I would think that, if it bothers you, especially based on some previous answers, I would just sell it and get another one, if easy enough to do (not my series, so I don't know)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@Bochiman said:
    I have been told, by PCGS, that if it isn't active, then it isn't a big concern to them...if already slabbed. So, while restoration may do something, I would think that, if it bothers you, especially based on some previous answers, I would just sell it and get another one, if easy enough to do (not my series, so I don't know)

LOL. I agree with PCGS. So does everyone I showed this post to in the office. It is of no concern to me either - it's not my coin. B)

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is PCGS restoration's stance on a coin with PVC spots forming in an encapsulated PCGS slab?

• Options

AFAIK, it depends on the coin. Awhile back, the major TPGS's amended the way they treat SE and copper coins after they have been slabbed. The answer to your question should be on each services' website.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the current turn around time on PCGS restoration? NGC has scheduled formal conservation options, it is too bad that PCGS does not, nor do they have the expedite service.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all... Verdigris - noun
    a green or bluish patina formed on copper, brass, or bronze surfaces exposed to the atmosphere for long periods of time, consisting principally of basic copper sulfate. Now, while there is copper in Buffalo nickels, it is not generally clearly visible. Verdigris forms mainly on exposed copper. The brown streak appears to be a stain of some sort. The green on the reverse looks - to me - more like PVC. Of course, pictures can be deceiving. Restoration will certainly remove the green...not sure about the stain. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Don't want to remove the stain, so I will send it to PCGS. That, at least to me, is part of the history of this coin and others that informs us of the errors made in the alloy production of that time period. I have always liked this "stain".
    Jim

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't mean to hijack but also don't want to start an identical topic. I have a 37-D 3 leg in 62 with the spots shown below. I imagine when it eventually comes time to sell these spots will cost me. I thought they were black and didn't notice until I got the TV that they are actually green. What do you think? Worth it to conserve? Should be removable right?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Conserve it. If they are green it is not too late.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:
    What is PCGS restoration's stance on a coin with PVC spots forming in an encapsulated PCGS slab?

Not their problem (anymore). Used to be covered under the guarantee. It was changed several years ago.

Yes, PCGS conservation will help OP's coin. I have used the service several times.

As for ChrisH821's coin I think conservation will help those spots but probably not remove them altogether. And if they were successfully removed the surface underneath may be etched and/or the color underneath may be different.
    Lance.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

@ACop said:

Not their problem (anymore). Used to be covered under the guarantee. It was changed several years ago.

Yes, PCGS conservation will help OP's coin. I have used the service several times.

As for ChrisH821's coin I think conservation will help those spots but probably not remove them altogether. And if they were successfully removed the surface underneath may be etched and/or the color underneath may be different.
    Lance.

What is turnaround time on this service?

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peace_dollar88 said:
    What is turnaround time on this service?

Usually a couple of months.

I don't know how long it takes PCGS to tell you "sorry" if they choose not to conserve it. Never happened to me. But I doubt it would be months.
    Lance.

• Options

I have heard/read here that David Hall does all the conservation work for PCGS. It is hard to believe that one person - even him - could handle the workload. Perhaps that is a reason for the long turnaround time.

Does anyone know details about the conservation division at PCGS?

Anyone know about the conservation service at ANACS?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I called "PCGS restoration service" the last time the power went out -- it cam back on within the hour....

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent three Morgans to PCGS (PCGS 63,64, and 65) for conservation over the last few years. They were coins which had turned in the SDB over the last 10 years with ugly spotting. They were able to conserve 2 coins, one even upgraded. Turn around time for the conservation was ~3 months. The non-conserved coin was sent back to me in ~3 weeks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file