Options

Weight tolerances for a Type 2 cent planchet

dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Some years ago I obtained a Type 2 cent planchet but do not recall if
copper or zinc. It weighs 2.68 grams which seems a bit heavy for the
zinc but well below the 3.11 grams of the copper cents. Does anyone
know the zinc cent tolerances?

The Red Book states the zinc cent weight at 2.50 grams, meaning the
2.68 grams noted here is about 7 percent heavy.

Comments

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure, but I have the same question. I have an 1983 cent that weighs 2.80g, so I'll be interested to hear what is considered within reasonable tolerance.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper Cents: 3.1 grams or 48 grains, with an official tolerance of .13 grams or 2 grains

Zinc Cents: 2.5 grams or 38.58 grains, with an official tolerance of .10 grams or 1.54 grains

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Copper Cents: 3.1 grams or 48 grains, with an official tolerance of .13 grams or 2 grains

Zinc Cents: 2.5 grams or 38.58 grains, with an official tolerance of .10 grams or 1.54 grains

The answer is appreciated. It would therefore appear that the 2.68
    gram specimen as well as the 2.80 gram piece noted by ShadyDave
    are both outside normal tolerances. I have to wonder how common
    this is.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say fairly common, and not significant, imo.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also say, that you might check your scale... sometimes the calibration is off on these units. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file