Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rediscovering my youth

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I continue to find goodies that I culled from coin rolls in 1959-1963 outside a Manhattan bank in my neighborhood in Brooklyn. This one was all alone in a small manila envelope. It has lost a little of its brightness but I wanted to get some input. From what I have learned on CU, it appears to be an 1865 2c plain 5. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could not download the picture :/

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, get it out of the Manila now. I'll defer to the experts now.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use "Attach Image" instead of "Attach File" for your posts and the image will appear in the body of the thread.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find - here are the pix

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins! I could not wait to hear the expert....You are a lucky.... ;)

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 2c and Iike the title of your thread.

That's exactly how i feel about numismatics in general

• Options

Yes, no more envelope. I put it in a 2x2 for now. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story and nice circulation find (50+ years ago).

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell Yeah!

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of a roll did you find it in? I'm guessing quarters.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

I really don't remember the particular find. I would go thru several rolls of coins during recess. I was actually thrown out of that bank because I was not a customer. I told my parents and they helped me open a passbook savings account with $5 bucks. I'd present my booklet make a withdrawal in coin, refill the rolls and redeposit them and go back to class. Peace Roy

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Great story, Reminds me of my younger years.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice old two cent piece.... I am surprised you found it roll searching... must have been in quarter rolls?
    Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file