Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New info to shipwreck find. Spanish galleon. 13 billion euro in gold

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 23, 2018 8:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool - thanks for posting!

This is not surprising at all:

The treasure has been the subject of legal battles between several nations as well as private salvage companies.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fighting over gold. Who da thunk. History repeats it's self.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what they will actually find when they start the recovery. Thanks for posting the article!

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Wabbit2313 said:
    I wonder what they will actually find when they start the recovery. Thanks for posting the article!

I hope they find my missing USPS Shipment

m

If they do, delivery is just taking a little longer than expected.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 11:01AM

interesting. Finders keepers. Or perhaps the British have stake since you get the spoils of war. Would be nice to get a piece of that treasure.

@SanctionII it would be hard to have coins issued after it sank on the ship. But I could be wrong.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    interesting. Finders keepers. Or perhaps the British have stake since you get the spoils of war. Would be nice to get a piece of that treasure.

@SanctionII it would be hard to have coins issued after it sang on the ship. But I could be wrong.

Even more amazing is that coins could sing back then!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 10:19AM

Nice story...but...

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    Nice story...but...

Well, since there are no images of the treasure yet, swim down there and snap a few for all of us!

• Options
    edited May 23, 2018 11:00AM

Ditto...still no images or video, on the links above.

My daughter wants to see the dolphin engraved cannon barrels.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thread starts with link to story and it says the coins are still in the water. It does have a photo as well.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited May 23, 2018 4:14PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Do you know the weight of San Jose?

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqWt49o7R-k

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 1:21PM

Be careful clicking on the link in the OP,,,,, I did and started reading it and another window popped up and then I got WARNINGS about viruses.

I could not click off the link. I had to manually shut down and then I restarted and cleared out my history.

Don't know yet if any damage.

It appears others have done so with no problem so not sure why I got the warnings.

I had 15 warnings in my history on this.

I know that it is nothing that the OP intended.

I am on a MAC so not sure if that matters?

Just saying be careful.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

That's a lot of wampum.

On Edge Win 10 no problems here.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

Mac and no problems here

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many miles to the galleon?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I have been going to my saved sites and banking accounts and other than having to reenter all my passwords I don't seem to have any damage :):):):):)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like we're finding more gold under the ocean than on top of it these days. The treasure of the ancient Americas must have really been something. I heard some pretty amazing stories when I visited Cusco, the capital of the Inca empire at the time of the conquistadors.

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

Here's some read meat for y'all: Lost treasure found in the San Jose galleon in Colombia

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hDIRueoizfg

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    How many miles to the galleon?

40 leagues to the galleon. Mileage may very

m

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Approximately two and one-half years since 'discovery' and no recoveries as yet? Odd, very odd.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's because it is under litigation!

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Approximately two and one-half years since 'discovery' and no recoveries as yet? Odd, very odd.

• Options

@amwldcoin

How much you gonna spend on 'litigation' for a 'treasure' that you don't know is even there?

These old Spanish wrecks have come up totally dry of any 'treasure' in the very recent past.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @amwldcoin

How much you gonna spend on 'litigation' for a 'treasure' that you don't know is even there?

These old Spanish wrecks have come up totally dry of any 'treasure' in the very recent past.

A lot

m

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 3:54PM

Gotasub?
    The bottom is 12,000 feet, Ooops 1968 feet, might take a while to recover the goods.

• Options

Article says 600 meters - deep enough to keep those without sophisticated equipment off of it. But after the Gairsoppa recoveries, not much is impossible I guess.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2018 2:55PM

@amwldcoin said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

Not to mention water!

Not odd. Let's say that you know it is there, and it will cost you "x" millions of dollars to bring it up. Spend the money first and then have it stolen by some court (as happened in Spain with another wreck a few years ago) and you are screwed. Litigate first. Recover later.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

$17 Billion seems a bit inflated for a single ship. What was the S.S. Central America worth - $200 Million?

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 5:56PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Do you know the weight of San Jose?

>
    Do you know the way to San Jose? ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The article I read also said there were emeralds...so that would increase the estimated value as well... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:
    $17 Billion seems a bit inflated for a single ship. What was the S.S. Central America worth - $200 Million?

I wonder what these numbers are based on? Assuming ounces of gold that's: 13,076,923 million or so.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018 8:21AM

The location remains a tightly held secret.....but don't you think satellite images "show" where the Woods Hole ship been? :/

• Options

I like the pottery shown on the deck <3

• Options

I don't think a satellite image is going to show that considering it's 2,000 feet deep! ;)

@Paradisefound said:
    The location remains a tightly held secret.....but don't you think satellite images "show" where the Woods Hole ship been? :/

• Options

the WHOI ship not the wreck ;)

@amwldcoin said:
    I don't think a satellite image is going to show that considering it's 2,000 feet deep! ;)

@Paradisefound said:

• Options

Those pictures were taken 3 years ago!

@Paradisefound said:
    the WHOI ship not the wreck ;)

@amwldcoin said:

@Paradisefound said:

• Options

WHOI ship

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@amwldcoin said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

Not to mention water!

Not odd. Let's say that you know it is there, and it will cost you "x" millions of dollars to bring it up. Spend the money first and then have it stolen by some court (as happened in Spain with another wreck a few years ago) and you are screwed. Litigate first. Recover later.

Very good point.

• Options

@EagleEye said:

The lay press likes big numbers. The bigger the better. Reality need not apply.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sense another D Carr shipwreck coin in the making.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The main Central America discovery and recovery happened in the late 1980s. How long was it before additional treasure was recovered due to the legal battles? Many years.

It sat there for hundreds of years. The site can be monitored for illegal activity, but few even have the equipment to recover items from this depth. It will sit for a bit longer.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

wreckonomics.

i THINK this is the same one i was just reading about. although years ago, it is a newer article:

https://daily.jstor.org/wreckonomics-finders-keepers-in-maritime-law/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

tons of diverse stuff (usually junk to me) but a neat shipwreck article this time. see them when opening a new tab that doesn't go to a pre-specified page.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file