Home Sports Talk
Options

"'Justify" chasing Triple Crown

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like this undefeated 3 yr. old heading into the 3rd leg of the Triple Crown, is not getting much love out there. Not garnering the attention American Pharoah received when he chased the "crown". By coincidence, a standardbred horse by the name of "Justify" won a harness race in Ohio, the night of Preakness race day.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

About every three years a horse wins the first two legs.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

I agree. But the buzz for Pharoah after he won the first 2 legs was deafening, like the second coming of "Big Red". For "Justify", not so much.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Coinstartled said:

I agree. But the buzz for Pharoah after he won the first 2 legs was deafening, like the second coming of "Big Red". For "Justify", not so much.

There will never be another "Big Red". ;)

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Coinstartled said:

There hadn't been a triple crown winner for three decades before pharaoh.

Fortunately horses ignore most of the hype and just run.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2018 8:18PM

You have to admire Justify and his two wins in the slop. He maybe really really good.

Man O War gets plenty of consideration for greatest American horse ever as does Citation..

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    You have to admire Justify and his two wins in the slop. He maybe really really good.

Man O War gets plenty of consideration for greatest American horse ever as does Citation..

mark

Mark...you do realize that the GOAT award for Horses goes to "Big Red"....don't you?? Everybody else is a distant second.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2018 9:48AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Mark...you do realize that the GOAT award for Horses goes to "Big Red"....don't you?? Everybody else is a distant second.

Awfully dismissive and actually no I don't.

You do realize if you look up the top ten horses of all time Secretariat isnt listed first every time.
    Just because you believe something is true it doesn't make it so.

Secretariat was the greatest Triple Crown winner ever IMO. Big Red was the best horse any of us have seen most likely. He is my favorite horse of all time.

Did you know that Secretariat lost three times as a three year old? The Wood Memorial, The Whitney and The Woodward. He was certainly beatable and was. He won16 out of 21 races including the Man O War named after for what many consider the greatest horse of all time. I believe Man O War won 22 of 23 races and his only loss was at Saratoga. ( Big Red lost there as well) . Man O War also destroyed his competition at Belmont. Won by 20 plus lengths. Others like Citation as greatest horse ever. He won 27 out of 29 races as a 3 year old! Unheard of. Cases can be made for all three. Blood Horse magazine in 1999 had six experts panelists vote on greatest American horse ever. Four voted for Man O War and one voted for Secretariat. So certainly it isn't as slam dunk as you say.

People who know horse racing bettor then any of us have a difference of opinion as best ever. Yours is as a casual fan. I get it. It's romantic and understandable and we have all seen Big Red run and we love him. Myself included.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Well...Big Red is my #1 of all time with Man O War #2 and Citation #3. JMHO. :)B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Well...Big Red is my #1 of all time with Man O War #2 and Citation #3. JMHO. :)B)

And lots of people would agree with you including well respected sources. Some have it as a photo finish between Man o War and Big Red.

Secretariat was my personal favorite as well. I also loved watching, Ruffian, Zenyatta and California Chrome run

mark

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man o' War couldn't carry Secretariat's jockstrap.

;)

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

And lots of people would agree with you including well respected sources. Some have it as a photo finish between Man o War and Big Red.

Secretariat was my personal favorite as well. I also loved watching, Ruffian, Zenyatta and California Chrome run

mark

I wasn't going on my own feelings. I have read a lot on horse races and listened to a 4 part you tube out there by a man that knows his stuff. The following facts give a lot of gredence(sp) in putting Big Red at #1. I hope I remember these correctly.

He ran each quarter of the Derby faster than the previous, which is unheard of.
    He still holds the track record at the Derby.
    He blew everyone away at Belmont winning by the largest margin ever (31 lengths).
    He still holds the track record at Belmont....with nobody even close.
    He was simply a beast!

I don't know what happened in the races he lost.......he probably didn't care since they were not Triple Crown Races! :oB)

• Options

Ruffian was a beast of a Philly. She was the strongest Philly ever. Really sad when she broke down in that match race. In watching the replay of that race you can see the bird fly across in front of her causing her to take a bad step and break her leg. She didn't want to stop running even with the broken leg causing even more damage. She was a fighter!

Really Really Really SAD DAY in racing. :'(

• Options
    edited May 22, 2018 2:16PM

Little known fact about Secretariat. He won his first turf race, and he won it easily as a 3 year old against the best older turf horses in the country. A remarkable feat in itself. He also easily won another turf race after that, his final race.

Some say just off of those two turf races, that Secretariat is the greatest turf horse of all time.

BTW: That first turf race that Secretariat won...was the Man o' War stakes.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

mark

I wasn't going on my own feelings. I have read a lot on horse races and listened to a 4 part you tube out there by a man that knows his stuff. The following facts give a lot of gredence(sp) in putting Big Red at #1. I hope I remember these correctly.

He ran each quarter of the Derby faster than the previous, which is unheard of.
    He still holds the track record at the Derby.
    He blew everyone away at Belmont winning by the largest margin ever (31 lengths).
    He still holds the track record at Belmont....with nobody even close.
    He was simply a beast!

I don't know what happened in the races he lost.......he probably didn't care since they were not Triple Crown Races! :oB)

True on the Belmont. It still sends chills up my spine. However, it order to have track records conditions must be perfect. In the case of the 1973 Belmont they rolled the Belmont surface to make it ultra fast and that there were a half dozen track records run on it in a two month period afterwards for what it's worth.

mark

• Options

I just did some more checking and Secretariat still holds the record at all 3 Triple Crown Races.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2018 3:24PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    I just did some more checking and Secretariat still holds the record at all 3 Triple Crown Races.

Which is why I stated he is the greatest Triple Crown winner of all time. Can't do better then that in those three races. Those only count for three wins.

Steves point on Secretariat winning the Man O War Stakes on turf was a good one. It was why I pointed in out previously. I think it was Big Red's most impressive race. If memory serves me he was a late addition to the race as he replaced a stable mate

The irony is that Secretariat didn't hold the track record for the Preakness until 6 years ago. How could that possibly be?

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Secretariat_now_record_holder_of_all_three_Triple_Crown_races_123#

Modern technology prevails. I wonder how many other records have been skewed. Sometimes the eye test is best

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Which is why I stated he is the greatest Triple Crown winner of all time. Can't do better then that in those three races. Those only count for three wins.

Steves point on Secretariat winning the Man O War Stakes on turf was a good one. It was why I pointed in out previously. I think it was Big Red's most impressive race. If memory serves me he was a late addition to the race as he replaced a stable mate

The irony is that Secretariat didn't hold the track record for the Preakness until 6 years ago. How could that possibly be?

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Secretariat_now_record_holder_of_all_three_Triple_Crown_races_123#

Modern technology prevails. I wonder how many other records have been skewed. Sometimes the eye test is best

mark

I've read that whole thing before.......they finally got it right from what I could see in the reports.

• Options

Probably the average person out there doesn't understand how difficult it is for thoroughbred horses to win at a high level on dirt and grass.

I read this many years ago so perhaps my recall isn't accurate, but if I'm remembering right, there is a physical difference in the conformation of a particular horse's hoof which allows them to run better on a particular surface.

A crude analogy if i may...but Secretariat being so outstanding on both dirt and grass, sort of reminds me of Babe Ruth being both an outstanding hitter and pitcher...a rarity indeed.

• Options

Indeed incredible

m

• Options

Folks here will argue about anything!

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

No way. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. :D

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

It’s so awesome :D

m

• Options

Justify was a bit gassed at the end of the Preakness. He was pushed for quite awhile by Good Magic. The closers were getting to him at the end. If he is to win the Belmont he will need to ration his speed and not be pushed, especially by a "rabbit. A rabbit could be in the race as part of an entry, coupled or uncoupled, to soften him up, advantageous for a closer. Traditionally, closers from way back do not win the Belmont. Best to lay 5-6 lenghts off a speed duel, if one develops,to pick up the pieces at the end. His style of running, especially a front ender such as he would need soft fractions up front to wire the field. Of course none of these horses have ever run at the 1 1/2 mile Belmont distance. And probably never will again. So some of these horses will be gassed by the end regardless of the pace. Happens every Belmont. The extra week of rest will help Justify, being 3 weeks between the 2nd/3rd legs. If the field is 8-9 horses I see Justify at odds of no better than 2-1. The punters will send it in on Justify as everyone likes to see a Triple Crown winner if possible. A rare event. And to save the ticket (not cashing it). So the odds will be affected by sentimentality to that reasoning. Hope to see the final slate of entrants over the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to the race and your opinions on the race as time goes on.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I saw the title I was wondering how long it would take to turn into a thread about
    how great Secretariat was.
    The tread switched gears faster than Secretariat ever did, no question about it.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a whole case of Justify's rookie cards I'm going to be rich

• Options

@Darin said:
    When I saw the title I was wondering how long it would take to turn into a thread about
    The tread switched gears faster than Secretariat ever did, no question about it.

You just can't talk about Horse Racing without bringing up the GOAT!

• Options
    edited May 23, 2018 8:00PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

Try. It’ shows you’re a one trick pony.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

Try. It’ shows you’re a one trick pony

m

I couldn't help myself.....I think I'll go watch the '73 Belmont... :)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

m

My suggestion would to live in the present but suit yourself

m

• Options

Now where do they get a tiny jockey that can ride a goat?

• Options

its cute that you guys think that horse racing is a sport :D

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

m

m

Hey....if they can show "the catch" 500 times a year....I can watch "Big Red" run any time I want. ;)B)o:)

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Secretariat was my personal favorite as well. I also loved watchi> @Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

m

m

Dimeman can't live in the present furlong.

• Options

73 belmont is probably the ugliest car ever made

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Secretariat was my personal favorite as well. I also loved watchi> @Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

m

m

Dimeman can't live in the present furlong.

That was stellar

m

• Options

@Darin said:

Could be something similar to Godwin's Law (paraphrase) whereby if an internet political discussion goes on long enough, eventually somebody will be compared to Adolph Hitler. LOL

• Options

Getting ready for the Saturday Belmont Stakes. Have to watch as the TC is at stake. Justify drew post #1. Justify hopes to complete his Triple Crown quest. Early weather reports call for a soggy track. This would make all 3 TC races run on an off track. Can't remember if I ever saw this before. I don't think Justify will be a huge favorite, but will be the favorite. With 10 horses in the field should be some good long shot chances, price wise, for the runner up spots, especially if the favorite falters. Wonder if "The Gronk", the human one, will be watching in person his horse run.

• Options

Big Red's record is good for yet another year. :)

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Getting ready for the Saturday Belmont Stakes. Have to watch as the TC is at stake. Justify drew post #1. Justify hopes to complete his Triple Crown quest. Early weather reports call for a soggy track. This would make all 3 TC races run on an off track. Can't remember if I ever saw this before. I don't think Justify will be a huge favorite, but will be the favorite. With 10 horses in the field should be some good long shot chances, price wise, for the runner up spots, especially if the favorite falters. Wonder if "The Gronk", the human one, will be watching in person his horse run.

I've got a hunch, nothing more, that you may be right about a long shot. The situation sets up well for that, as everybody and their brother and uncle will be betting on Justify.

So i think a horse other than Justify, possibly a long shot, may take this race with the exception of it won't be Gronkowski.

• Options

Gronkowski, the horse, is 12-1 on the morning line. Hasn't raced in 2 months. I thought he would be at a higher morning line, and not this low.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Gronkowski, the horse, is 12-1 on the morning line. Hasn't raced in 2 months. I thought he would be at a higher morning line, and not this low.

I agree with ya!

That horse is going to be so bewildered and confused, running around that track today, it's sad what the owners are doing to this poor horse. They should have left the horse in Australia.

There are thousands of horses each year to buy, which are bred in the United States as foals, or thoroughbreds in training, or lightly raced with hoped for potential that can be geared towards the Triple Crown races. Gronkowski should have bought one of those.

• Options

I saw Grote on TV with a suitcase full of $100 bills at the betting window.

The TV broadcaster said the teller told him that Grote bet heavy a trifecta wheel of All-All-1 meaning that if Justify runs third, Grote wins the bet, and if two longshots run first and second, then Grote might have enough money to buy the Mets. ;)

• Options

Man Gronkowski ran a great race after that horrendous start. A solid second. I had a nice 4-6 perfecta box as one of my bets. No cigar.

m

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I agree with ya!

That horse is going to be so bewildered and confused, running around that track today, it's sad what the owners are doing to this poor horse. They should have left the horse in Australia.

There are thousands of horses each year to buy, which are bred in the United States as foals, or thoroughbreds in training, or lightly raced with hoped for potential that can be geared towards the Triple Crown races. Gronkowski should have bought one of those.

All horses should run that bewildered and confused, LOL..

$90 exacta, not bad..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

That's about as easy a trip as you will ever see for a Belmont Stakes. No one had any juice to challenge Justify down the stretch. Congrats to Justify for a well earned Triple Crown! Two in 4 years after none in 37 years.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@stevek said:

The TV broadcaster said the teller told him that Grote bet heavy a trifecta wheel of All-All-1 meaning that if Justify runs third, Grote wins the bet, and if two longshots run first and second, then Grote might have enough money to buy the Mets. ;)

You know, I meant to box Justify with a couple others on an exatct bet but never got to OTB. Usually, that saves me money, lol.. As a Jets fan, I would have had to play Gronkowski, too, lol..

I still have the memory of that 4K trifecta hit with Big Brown in the Derby years ago...

• Options

Congratulations to "Justify" and related connections. Only the second undefeated TC winner,"Seattle Slew" being the other. Race was over when Justify was allowed to loaf on the front end through a 6 Furlong fraction of 1:13 and change. With no challenges/pressure. Their were 4 other entrants who had demonstrated early front running speed per past performances lines. No one came forth to apply any pressure. Curious. Maybe they were waiting for Justify to "come back" to the field by tiring. But not with those soft fractions. Was not to be. The "Gronk" was at the track and was cheering wildly for his name sake. Good for him. The horse broke a tad slow and spotted the filed 10-12 lengths. I thought he was through. Around the far turn he advanced through the opening holes along the rail thereby saving ground and nailed the place spot. As I prev. mentioned he was worth a show bet to me based on a hunch. So I was okay with his finish and didn't mind as I got to see another TC come about. Now Baffert can go for his own 3 peat of TC Championship wins.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I agree with ya!

All horses should run that bewildered and confused, LOL..

$90 exacta, not bad..

<<< bewildered and confused >>>

I think Gronkowski was just that in the beginning of the race. It was what, around 20 lengths behind at one point? A few successful horses such as Calidoscopio and Zenyatta have that type of running style, but Gronkowski never showed anything like that before.

I think Gronkowski was still around 10 lengths behind at the quarter pole? Then it changed leads nicely, got a perfect trip, and closed past some very tired horses that were chasing after Justify.

Frankly, at the top of the stretch, I thought Gronkowski was going to win the race. That would have been a shocker at 27-1. Would have made a lot of $2 longshot bettors happy.

Congrats to Gronk - His horse getting second in the Belmont Stakes sure means he picked up a nice check.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

You know, I meant to box Justify with a couple others on an exatct bet but never got to OTB. Usually, that saves me money, lol.. As a Jets fan, I would have had to play Gronkowski, too, lol..

I still have the memory of that 4K trifecta hit with Big Brown in the Derby years ago...

Yes, I know you've hit some nice ones over the years.

I didn't even realize they had OTB any longer, with the ease of just using a computer to bet with these days.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Congratulations to "Justify" and related connections. Only the second undefeated TC winner,"Seattle Slew" being the other. Race was over when Justify was allowed to loaf on the front end through a 6 Furlong fraction of 1:13 and change. With no challenges/pressure. Their were 4 other entrants who had demonstrated early front running speed per past performances lines. No one came forth to apply any pressure. Curious. Maybe they were waiting for Justify to "come back" to the field by tiring. But not with those soft fractions. Was not to be. The "Gronk" was at the track and was cheering wildly for his name sake. Good for him. The horse broke a tad slow and spotted the filed 10-12 lengths. I thought he was through. Around the far turn he advanced through the opening holes along the rail thereby saving ground and nailed the place spot. As I prev. mentioned he was worth a show bet to me based on a hunch. So I was okay with his finish and didn't mind as I got to see another TC come about. Now Baffert can go for his own 3 peat of TC Championship wins.

I was at Belmont Park the day when Seattle Slew won that race.

Went there with a friend of mine who bet 2 dimes to place on that horse. He picked up $600 on the race which was a nice piece of change back then. Nice piece of change now - LOL