Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I posted this on the US forum but think might get more experience hereI

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do Canadians have to pay import taxes on coins?

Message from buyer after beating me down to what is probably a loss:

Hi, thanks for accepting my offer. I reside in Canada. When I tried to pay, I get "import charges" in addition to agreed price. Canadian customs never apply any duties on silver and gold coins. If you think you can remove this charges, I will proceed with payment, if not, I apologize, but Im going to ask you to cancel that deal.

My reply:

You know what! This is exactly why I like about what people think is our crazy president! If I bought this coin from you I would not have to pay any taxes! Fair trade is Fair trade! I will await your reply before I cancel the transaction. If you will not pay the taxes your country charges I will cancel the sale.
Best Regards,Darrell

Buyer's response:

Hey Darrell. I apologize for any inconvenience I caused, but I am not willing to pay so called "import charges". This program is a scam. Let me know if we can get around this, if not, again, my apologies.

My response:

I don't know how! I can not insure the coin without declaring the value! Believe it or not...my biggest loses have come from Canada the last few years! I'm about to go to ebay global shipping only for all my sales to Canada! Even a $10 sale! Your country is losing their reputation for a safe place to ship to in my opinion!
Best Regards,Darrell

MY Question! Is this guy telling the truth? Are Coins not taxed coming into Canada? I have not heard they were!

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canada charges GST (National sales tax) and PST (Provincial sales tax) on purchases coming into Canada and on purchases in Canada. Based on buying from one province to another exceptions may exist on PST.

When i was living in Ontario that was 14% combined tax but I think it is great now. So you are correct in that there is no way around it without basically fraud.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Yes, you are charged GST on stuff sent to Canada ... just like you there in the US will start to have to pay State sales tax on Ebay purchases from/in the US. Some States have already started with tx on Ebay purchases (I was led to believe) and some States have close to 10% sales tax. I understand that legislation is pending ... it seems that Ebay purchases not having tax applied is unfair to any other company doing internet business.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your buyer is ciose to the US border and buys a lot from the US, he may want to get a P.O. box in the US. Many Canadians from the Toronto area have a box at Mail Boxes in Niagara Falls and Lewiston, NY

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Thanks for confirming! Guess this sale isn't going to happen!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Import charges are a pain and by using Global Shipping Program through eBay the seller is proactively billed the import fee based on the final auction price. The reason a lot of Canadians don't like it is that the import fee was always a gamble: sometimes you get charged, sometimes you didn't (especially if the seller did not include a packing slip or an invoice in the package).

• Options

Well...on a cheap coin I would not insure I agree. But a coin of value I would have to declare the value in able to get insurance so it would get taxed in customs. I've had a couple of packages refused do to this.

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Import charges are a pain and by using Global Shipping Program through eBay the seller is proactively billed the import fee based on the final auction price. The reason a lot of Canadians don't like it is that the import fee was always a gamble: sometimes you get charged, sometimes you didn't (especially if the seller did not include a packing slip or an invoice in the package).

• Options

This is funny if it turns out to be and very fishy! I was trying to see how much I could ship and insure if I didn't go through the Global Shipping program. It turns out his registered ebay address is in Niagra Falls,NY! So I sent him an invoice and messaged him I ship free in the US. We will see if he pays. My scammer alarm is going off.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Canadian coins returned to Canada should be tax exempt

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    This is funny if it turns out to be and very fishy! I was trying to see how much I could ship and insure if I didn't go through the Global Shipping program. It turns out his registered ebay address is in Niagra Falls,NY! So I sent him an invoice and messaged him I ship free in the US. We will see if he pays. My scammer alarm is going off.

I have shipped to a Niagara Falls, NY address for Canadian buyers before. I would think you should be covered by PayPal.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don