Home Metal Detecting
Options

Never detected before, need advice

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be vacationing this summer in my childhood home , in a beach town in Massachusetts. It is adjacent to marsh land and is near some old home sites. So I would like to be able to detect beach, yard, and woods.

I have never detected before and am considering renting for a day or two to try it out. The local rental places all rent the Garrett Ace 250.

My questions are:
Will this model serve my purpose?
If not, what are the limitations?
Lastly, if I do some pre-study, would I be at all competent by end of day 1?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heads up.....get permission if it's private property (old home sites). Secondly yes, you will get better as the day progresses.
    Now, why not rent one locally before you go to get the most out of your time on vacation? Get used to it ahead of time. The Garretts are great detectors. Might have a problem on the beach with the salt as it can throw off a detector without a "salt" setting. I do not know if the 250 is so equipped.
    Stay above the wet sand for best results on the beach.

bob :)
    PS: we need tons of pics when you return!!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

That model will do very poorly at a salt water beach. It is a single frequency machine and has a fixed ground balance, the worst of all worlds. It will do ok in the yard; however, you'll probably be digging more than your share of nails if you pursue deep targets.

I wouldn't go to the expense of renting an Ace 250. Buy a used one off eBay, and resell it if this hobby is not for you. Better yet, buy yourself a Minelab Explorer or Fisher CZ.

• Options

@Bayard1908 said:

I wouldn't go to the expense of renting an Ace 250. Buy a used one off eBay, and resell it if this hobby is not for you. Better yet, buy yourself a Minelab Explorer or Fisher CZ.

The rental is $40/day and I just saw that I can buy one for around $200.

@AUandAG said:

PS: we need tons of pics when you return!!

I will do that!

There is plenty of land around family homes to detect, so even if it does not work for the beach I will still get after it. My 10 year old son and I have been eager to try it for awhile, so I might just rent for one day and if it goes well buy one.

Appreciate your help guys.

• Options

Get a splitter so that you can both wear headphones at the same time.
    Renting is not a bad idea.....if you like it you can invest in one that will work on salt beaches better. Whites makes one with a switch for beach searching. Check them out too. Pricey but good and best warranty in the business. I don't go near water (I live in the SW desert) and own both a Whites and a Lobo. Expensive and cheap.....just depends where I go and how I feel. THe Lobo weighs about 2.3 lbs and is my preferred unit for swinging long hours.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will also need a handheld finder to zero in with. I would practice at home before going there with no experience. I haven't detected for awhile, but be prepared for some disappointment as you will find more junk than good stuff, but keep going, good stuff is out there.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will take more than a day or two to figure everything out. Spend the $200 and take your time. patience patience patience :)

• Options

@pocketpiececommems said:
    It will take more than a day or two to figure everything out. Spend the $200 and take your time. patience patience patience :)

I think you're right.

• Options

Leave you finger jewelry and watches at home. Get a stiff plastic scoop. On the beach a nice scoop/sieve will be best. Get to a detector shop and start asking questions. I use a cheap canvass nail belt from Home Depot to hold all my finds (usually just trash that I carry home). A hat for you and the boy. Long sleeves if in the weeds and brush.
    etc etc.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use fresh batteries, place known metal items on ground like foil, coin, ring, nail, screw, washer, paperclip. See how unit reacts. You don't need a pinpointed for sand, just a scoop with holes smaller than a dime. You could make that out of a plastic gallon jug. Have fun and dig everything, wear sunscreen. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Wow! I can't believe how fast and good you guys are. Thank you for your time. I will be preparing and taking notes.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck... It would be good to do some MD'ing before you go... get used to it... there is a learning curve. You will also need some accessories. Beach detecting can be rewarding, but you need a special machine to do wet sand and water. Hope it all goes well, it is a great hobby. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko
    Thank you, I will let you know how it goes