Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is acetone safe on brass and / or gold?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 16, 2018 6:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Will it cause any metal reaction or color change or discoloration?

GrandAm :)

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone will NOT react with any metals. Of course, neither will soap. The issue with discoloration is not usually the metal itself but interaction with oils or other contaminants on the surface. The exception being acids.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will support the above.... acetone removes organic residues and will not affect metals. You may not like what the residue removal reveals though.....Cheers, RickO

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use acetone on all silver I get to prevent possible spots / or prints but never tried it on brass or gold.

Just wanted to check before soaking these metals.

Thanks

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it will react to brass or copper. I tried that before. Never try on gold.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is a rule not to mix metals at the same time or one after the other in the same acetone or something like this. I could be totally wrong. Pay no attention to than man behind the curtain.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2018 11:11AM

@Kudbegud said:
    I think there is a rule not to mix metals at the same time or one after the other in the same acetone or something like this. I could be totally wrong. Pay no attention to than man behind the curtain.

Using the same acid that stripped ions off nickel will recombine the nickel with copper in the silver coins. And so on, pretty much across the range of coinage metals. NEVER

Acetone does not change any chemical compositions, so it's much safer. Still a potential problem with chemical combinations retarded by being sealed under its top layer of gunk, but, except for copper, these are "infrequent".

I do not own any coins that cost me less than my last quart of acetone or last half-pint of Jewel-Luster B) .

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, not entirely true. Acetone can be catalyzed by copper and one of the breakdown products is CO2 which can combine with water (H2O) to make carbonic acid. This is not rapid but does occur.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the info I was looking for, THANKS everyone for your answers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file