Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Spanish Real in 65

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Came back from PCGS the other day as a 65, as expected. Workhorse of Colonial America along with the Spanish 2 Reales. Thanks @MrEureka for the support.

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Very sharp piece. That really should not exist in that condition given the appropriately described workhorse nature of those in colonial times.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

This appears to be a piece from Spain itself, and it is a date not listed in the SCWC. Also, there is no "8" numeral (for the denomination) anywhere. Is there some backstory? Why are you calling it 'colonial'?

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Exceptional piece!

• Options
    edited May 15, 2018 9:07PM

Oh, so it's just a one real.

That answers that dating question then too.

So why are you bringing mixing Spanish homeland coins with the colonial coins?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, sweet, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018 6:12AM

@BillDugan1959 said:

My take, FWIW:

US Colonial dealers ran out of decent traditional colonial coins that can be flipped for a profit. So they conjured up fanciful stories of these things coming to our shores in trade and being circulated among the plebeians on the streets of East Lansing.

The problem is that the collectors of this material only want the pretty, UN-circulated examples, not the coins the plebes handled with their grubby fingers. Go figure.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2018 6:41AM

My brain kinda converts pictures into the largest size possible, whenever a series features several different denominations with the same design. Then when I had asssumed an eight reales, I made another mistake looking at the back of the coin. Then I thought a bit longer and realized I was looking at a small coin,not a larger one. Brain fart.

I really didn't realize that substituting Spanish homeland coins for the colonial issues was a big deal in the commercial side of things. In my mind, they are two different things. I personally am condition conscious, but I don't insist on perfection, just coins that are better than average, when possible.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet coin!

• Options
    edited May 16, 2018 10:18AM

@pruebas said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

My take, FWIW:

US Colonial dealers ran out of decent traditional colonial coins that can be flipped for a profit. So they conjured up fanciful stories of these things coming to our shores in trade and being circulated among the plebeians on the streets of East Lansing.

The problem is that the collectors of this material only want the pretty, UN-circulated examples, not the coins the plebes handled with their grubby fingers. Go figure.

Spanish mainland coinage, in particular 1 reals and pistareens, circulated heavily in the tobacco colonies and are more of a colonial than most "colonials". Of course you know that are just being antagonistic.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    My brain kinda converts pictures into the largest size possible, whenever a series features several different denominations with the same design. Then when I had asssumed an eight reales, I made another mistake looking at the back of the coin. Then I thought a bit longer and realized I was looking at a small coin,not a larger one. Brain fart.

I really didn't realize that substituting Spanish homeland coins for the colonial issues was a big deal in the commercial side of things. In my mind, they are two different things. I personally am condition conscious, but I don't insist on perfection, just coins that are better than average, when possible.

The Spanish mainland coins were debased while the colonial issues were not due to their need in global trade . As such the mainland coinage tended to circulate more heavily.

Here is a good article on the mainland coinages role in the colonies:
    numismatics.org/wikiuploads/CNL/Pistareens.pdf