Home Metal Detecting
Options

Two coppers today!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like it’s been forever since a copper has shown up for me. Managed two today! One is an 1845 large cent and the other I’m not sure. Could it be Russian? Any idea of date range for it? For a second I was thinking Mass cent but then more details came.
Any ideas on the button with the 1634 date on it? Can’t read it all. It has W_ _ GS of 1634 and in the banner looks like epluribus unum. Any idea what it was used for? The back is stamped Extra Rich and I think RJ co.

Also got a button with a similar design design as the reverse of the capped bust coinage. Would that mean it dates to that same time period?

Comments

• Options
    Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Great finds. I'm not much help to any of your questions really but I do believe the coin is probably Russian. Take a look at somethin like a Russian Kopek and you see the same reverse as what you have there (Double headed bird and crown). The obverse is also a fit with the crown on the top and the wheat/reeds around the outside. Whether its a 1, 2 etc would depend on the size. I've found a 5 Kopek from 1780 here in CT and its a much bigger coin than the one you have there.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot help with identification at all, but I must say, you sure are in an area with some really old stuff... Good luck, hope you find some great coins.. Cheers, RickO