Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know how many Edward VIII gold sovereigns there are?

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been trying research this, and since there is not an answer in the Spink catalog, I’ve come up with an estimate of five pieces. It seems that there are two in private collections and three more in the British Museum.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry...no

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know they made a few pattern gold coins, one sold in 2014 for 216,000 pounds I believe. extremely rare as you said

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2018 4:15PM

The description for the proof set including the sovereign in the Tyrant Collection:

Only four complete Edward VIII sets are believed to exist: one in the Queen’s collection, two owned by the Royal Mint Museum (one of which is on long-term loan to the British Museum), and this, the only complete set in private hands.

from
    http://thetyrantcollection.com/portfolio-item/pattern-brilliant-finish-proof-set-in-gold-silver-bronze-and-nickel-brass-dated-1937/
    This count of proof sets is a slightly different question than the number of sovereigns.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to derail, but many of the more rare Great Britain proof and patterns emanating from the Royal mint in the 1920-1953 period (and arguably all the way up to 1970) are quite difficult to trace, and more particularly the exact number struck or even extant specimens even moreso. I suspect that records were not kept scrupulously, and sometimes reminds me a bit of the US Mint in the 19th C. Do not be surprised if more Ed8 sovs are discovered in forgotten corners in future years....
    I have been unable to find out how many exist of many so-called VIP Record proofs of non-standard years and I have never seen actual original tallies in either the mint reports or anecdotes from varied sources. Some, like the 1952 Halfcrown have been exhaustively searched and traced, but even this one is difficult to state (best tally:
    one currency circulated specimen and one only proof specimen with a reverse trial proof featuring the ship that was partially snip-cancelled).

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Baldwin's described one in 2014 as follows:

An interesting epilogue revealed in the Giordano publication, is that the Duke of Windsor later tried to obtain a set of the proof coins for himself from the Royal Mint, as evidenced from a Deputy Master memorandum of 3 December 1951 (Giordano letter C, p.258), which eventually had to be deferred for an answer from the King himself, who said "no" to his elder brother's request. The Duke died 25 May 1972, presumably having never owned or handled one of the finished coins depicting his left facing portrait, over which such great effort was expended. An unrivalled opportunity occurs now to bid for and own a piece of history that not even the Duke of Windsor had the privilege to own or handle. This is the only King Edward VIII gold Sovereign available that is not an integral component part of a proof set.

The hostility that resulted after the abdication crisis continued for the rest of the Duke's life, in fact QEII only visited him shortly before his demise in 1972. It is telling that even GVI wouldn't let Edward have a set of his own coinage. One stalwart in the shunning was Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, a very prim member of the royal family. It is telling that even GVI wouldn't let Edward have a set of his own coinage. The Duke and Wallis spent very little time in Britain after the abdication, with the exception of WWII when they were "exiled" to the Bahamas they spent most of their time in Paris. Wallis died in 1986, a veritable recluse.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2018 6:15PM

One thing about the British monarchy is that they guard their position very carefully. Anyone who threatens it, especially a blood relation, who is not willing to perform their royal responsibilities. Edward didn't like the job of king, and he made it obvious to his handlers, which made them quite angry.

The descendants of William the Conquer have been kings or queens of England for all but eight years (during Cromwell's time) since October 1066.

The three sovereigns that the British Museum has were stored in the vault in a nondescript cardboard box for many years because of the abdication issue.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

The main "problem" with the Duke of Windsor (Edward VIII) was not his abdication of the throne, but that he was pro - Nazi before, during, and after WWII. He was shipped off to the Bahamas during the war to keep him out of the way. During the 1960s the Duke said privately to a friend, Patrick Balfour, 3rd Baron Kinross, "I never thought Hitler was such a bad chap." Hitler viewed him as a friend, and was very upset when he became the Duke of Windsor. Talk about the black sheep of the family.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 9:55PM

Edward VIII became King of England in early 1936 and abdicated late that year, because:

1. He gave up the throne for the woman he loved.
      or
    2. He was a Nazi agent or pro-Fascist or pro-American or something like that.
    3. He wanted Winston Churchill to stop throwing his false teeth at him.
    4. He knew too much about UFO's.
    5. He didn't like his profile on coins.

This British newspaper front page has a small article on coins of Edward VIII:

Daily Herald newspaper, December 11, 1936

No coins of King Edward

NO COINS OF KING EDWARD
    RUSH TO BUY STAMPS
    No King Edward VIII coins will ever be in circulation.

No coins could have been made before a royal proclamation announcing the date on which the coinage would come into circulation.

Such a proclamation was expected this month. It would have described the design for the King's head and the designs of the reverse sides for the different denominations.

The existing King Edward stamps will be issued until the stocks are exhausted.

Within a quarter of an hour of the abdication announcement, post offices at [] were raided yesterday by philatelists. They purchased all King Edward stamps of the higher denominations.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

No coins of Edward VIII - but some threepence coins did eventually slip into circulation. They are still incredibly rare, but the most "common" of a very rare coinage.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018 4:48AM

In his publication, Giordano has tried to trace the whereabouts of all the sets and singles of the actual proof coins, and they are listed in a table on page 254.

I remember reading this description with great interest back in 2014. I wish I had access to that list in page 254 of Giordano's publication. The Tyrant collection's website, mentions one complete proof set that was broken up in the 1970’s and the coins sold off separately and scattered to the four winds.

Clearly, the sovereign that was sold in 2014 must have come from this set. But what about the 2 and 5 pound gold coins from that same set? Are there any records of sales of these coins? If there are, they should be in Giordano's publication. And how is it possible for a set of such huge numismatic importance to disappear ,resurface in the 70s and be broken up? >

@yosclimber said:
    The description for the proof set including the sovereign in the Tyrant Collection:

Only four complete Edward VIII sets are believed to exist: one in the Queen’s collection, two owned by the Royal Mint Museum (one of which is on long-term loan to the British Museum), and this, the only complete set in private hands.

from
    http://thetyrantcollection.com/portfolio-item/pattern-brilliant-finish-proof-set-in-gold-silver-bronze-and-nickel-brass-dated-1937/
    This count of proof sets is a slightly different question than the number of sovereigns.

The description of the coin sold by Baldwin's has a different count:

In relation to the gold Sovereign, Giordano gives a total of six examples in existence (with which we concur), two of which are held privately (one being an integral part of a complete set), the other four Sovereigns are all in institutions and integral parts of complete sets. The locations of the four sets in institutions are listed as Royal Family, British Museum and two in the Royal Mint.

In other words, according to Giordano, the British Museum has its own example, and not one on a long term loan from the Royal Mint. The fifth set is the one in the Tyrant collection and the sixth sovereign, can only come from the broken up set that vanished in the 1970s....

I'm more confused now, than I was before I opened this thread.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

I also recommend "The King's Speech" for more behind the scenes gossip from that turbulent period, with Guy Pearce giving an excellent performance and despite the fact that the film was about KGVI's (Colin Firth) speech impediment and his teacher (Geoffrey Rush).

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread!

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a photo of one? Don't seem to be able to find one?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:
    Does anyone have a photo of one? Don't seem to be able to find one?

Link:

http://blog.royalmint.com/rare-edward-viii-gold-sovereign/

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

This post is significantly more interesting WITH PICTURES!!!!! :)
    http://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018 4:22PM

Isn't that the same profile as George VI?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2