Home Precious Metals
Options

englehard silver bars

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a rare coin collector but like the look of the old englehard silver bars. Do these go for a premium due to being collector's iterms? Do they ever sell for a price that makes them attractive simply as a precious metals play? thanks

Comments

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some are quite scarce and attractive and can be sold for a good premium if you have time to market them correctly. If you need $ quickly don't expect to go to xyz bullion and get a lot more than spot. I have some and like them very much. With some Englehard bars you are getting into collector territory and knowledge is much more important.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out the allengelhard.com web site. Great reference source. They are all collectable. The rare ones can bring a hefty premium in the right venue. The more common Engelhard bars sell closer to bullion prices.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

a premium? thats what ive seen as well.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2018 7:23AM

I lucked into a ten ounce bar that I paid (what I thought at the time) was a high premium ($5 an ounce over) only to see the same type of bar sell for around $750 on ebay!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not collected them, but I have noticed an increasing interest in those bars... and yes, they do command premiums...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Some smaller bars are worth as much or even more than gold, oz for oz, that is.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

There are several types of small Engelhard bars (10 oz or less) that have sold for >$2,000 each. No other manufacturer has ever come close to that AFAIK.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for all the responses---very helpful

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trick is knowing what bar(s) to pursue and what's a fair price.
    Just like coin collecting, get to know, understand, and learn all you can before jumping in. As its said in coin collecting....knowledge is king.