Home Precious Metals
Options

It's been awhile since I've seen a thread on recommended bullion dealers...

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

and the search function on the new software isn't helping me.

Who do you like to buy from? I'm planning a small purchase ~5-6 ounces in the nearish future. Debating between goldeneagle, mcm, and provident.

And, wasn't there a website not too long ago that gave warnings on bullion dealers who started showing warning signs (delayed shipment trends)?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try the BST. SurfinxHI has some silver bars that are well priced and he's a very reliable seller that I can vouch for.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always use MCM

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

I meant ounces of gold and I'm sticking to eagles (or possibly buffaloes). Generic and unimaginative, but it's part of my quest to separate my bullion vs. my collectible coins. I sold several of my slabbed one ounce Aussie lunar golds so now I need to buy the equivalent amount in gold. Technically that would be 6 ounces, but I will probably do 5 for now.

• Options

JM Bullion, Provident Metals, APMEX, etc
    I've gotten some good gold deals on the BST. You can always make a Buy post stating what you are looking for.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hands down Apmex via ebay. Extremely fast and best customer service in the industry. Always better deals via ebay then on their main website for whatever reasons.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

There's a lot of good sources and it pays to do some shopping around. Most of the big bullion dealers have specials and it wouldn't hurt to get on a few of their mailing lists where they announce what's on sale.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still using dbs coins for my volume purchases. Competitive pricing and excellent service.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve always had great service on the BST forum. Also like APMEX and JM Bullion.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still using dbs coins for my volume purchases. Competitive pricing and excellent service.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

APMEX and JM Bullion on their personal websites.

On eBay:
    APMEX, Bay Precious Metals (coins n' things) and MCM. Take advantage of eBay bucks when possible since APMEX and MCM regularly list foreign gold coins and ASE's in the "coins" section allowing for eBay bucks to be received on those purchases.

I normally buy at my local LCS or on forums whenever possible as well. SUPPORT LOCAL.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walk-ins limp out.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like the BST.... However, it seems there have been some sales by the bigger houses recently... I have seen them for silver, not for gold yet, but could be coming....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like JM Bullion myself and if you have not used them before you are eligible for 5 oz of silver at spot.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I like JM Bullion myself and if you have not used them before you are eligible for 5 oz of silver at spot.

Actually it's 10 oz of silver at spot. One per customer.

• Options

Hmm, that's awfully tempting too...got busy today, will buy tomorrow. Likely either JM or DBS then.

• Options

Thanks all for the recommendations! DBS, JMBullion, MCM, and Provident are on my short list of places to check for next time (a few weeks from now). Also, I'll have a bit more warning on fund availability so I can post on BST too.

Just to see how this went, the price at DBS was the best, but I tried calling first as recommended in a PM, both to confirm availability and so I could give the 'referral' to Derryb. Unfortunately this ended up on a voicemail, and I got busy yesterday so I ended up waiting until today to make the buy.

BTW that is a GUARANTEED predictor of a price swing on spot. Naturally it went up overnight :lol:

Tried calling DBS again this AM (using posted hours...seems early to be answering the phone in that time zone to me, but oh well) and got the voicemail again.

So, I compared the other three and MCM had the ever so slightest edge--plus I have an account with them and can use an eCheck there. That beats me mailing a check (I use priority mail when mailing checks on this sort of thing) or sending a wire (only $14 from my credit union), so the eCheck gives me a slight benefit there.

So today, MCM won ;).

But, do take note, I have bought gold. You can fully expect the spot price to drop significantly in the very near future.

Stork/Cathy

ps, I know a lot of you like APMEX, and I used to be a pretty loyal customer, like for over 10 years. However, more recently I have had a more than one issue with them now involving 'collectable bullion' both on the buy side and sell side.

I'm sure their straight up bullion services are fine, but I've pretty much sworn off them. I will miss those popcorn tins!

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

i am partial to provident, i did buy some from northwest territorial, before they went under

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2018 3:49PM

I did not read the replies so maybe someone touched on this, I assume you do not live with in a one hour drive of a coin store or now days they are just bullion stores with coins that have dust on them. I do not understand other then the reason stated why a bullion man or women would use the internet to buy bullion. Today our coin shop had 100 oz bars at spot for today it is a good deal in the next year probably not as we get the turn down. If you by bullion on a website or use a card why would you not just by futures it would be the exact same thing unless you just want a hunk of metal to talk about. I see the same at coin shows people running around calling them selves coin guys them pulling out the card to pay is that not like shooting your self in the foot and saying bullseye? I miss the old generation or have they change to.

• Options

@oldstandard said:
    I did not read the replies so maybe someone touched on this, I assume you do not live with in a one hour drive of a coin store or now days they are just bullion stores with coins that have dust on them. I do not understand other then the reason stated why a bullion man or women would use the internet to buy bullion. Today our coin shop had 100 oz bars at spot for today it is a good deal in the next year probably not as we get the turn down. If you by bullion on a website or use a card why would you not just by futures it would be the exact same thing unless you just want a hunk of metal to talk about. I see the same at coin shows people running around calling them selves coin guys them pulling out the card to pay is that not like shooting your self in the foot and saying bullseye? I miss the old generation or have they change to.

I live in a fairly barren wasteland. There are (I think) 2 coin shops within 2 hours, and I rarely see the point in going to them. I have yet to see anything at or near spot other than misidentified junk silver foreign coins, which are not my objective. I'm not even sure my local coin shop would HAVE 5 one ounce eagles. Sounds like you live in a more favorable environment...

Not sure why buying 'bullion on a website or use a card' would imply that futures (or other paper investments) are substitutions to buying the actual metal. Physical holdings are for one goal (more akin to saving, though not precisely) and paper holdings for another type of goal ('investing'). This does not change whether I were to buy in a brick store or an electronic store.

Ultimately, using a website with paper thin margins gives me a better buy price than getting in my car and driving three hours to a reasonable coin shop density. Particularly when price of gas and local sales tax are counted (yes, we have taxes here).

My objective is to have physical metal. Method or location of purchase does not change my objective (though I would point out that NOT talking about it is more accurately one of my goals than talking about it).

Also, why the presumption of a card? Using a card would factor into price, and would make the bullion purchase non-economical. I used an eCheck. No mailing cost, no wire cost, no fees. Piece of cake.

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭

I would do the same if I had to drive two or three hours especially if it was a small none competitive store and that was in my first sentence.