Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fat Man Fans: Yuan Shih-kai in Panavision

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unexpected pick up today--forgotten inventory from the back corners of an older shop in the area. Love the pale blue Capital holder. I know the detail on his epaulette was re-engraved on some dies, but the detail there, his collar, and especially his breast plate (?) are off the chart. Is that 完整的分割樂隊 or what? :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 8:54PM

Back in the early 1980s, I bought a lot of decent World crowns from an older dealer gentleman, and they were in those large, blue Capital holders - China, France, Bavaria (several Maximillian II) and even a nice Hong Kong Dollar. He was thinning out inventory and he had a lot of good stuff. He made me a good deal. I believe that he said his coins in Capital blue holders were put there about 1965.

This gentleman still lasted on the area show circuit another twenty years past that transaction (he had a good helper/ neighbor who drove him to shows until the dealer was past 90). I still have the Hong Kong Dollar, I can't remember if it is '67 or '68.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess part of what I am trying to say is that those large blue Capital holders were a mass-produced item for at least a little while, not custom order.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

really like the look of that capital plastics!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I guess part of what I am trying to say is that those large blue Capital holders were a mass-produced item for at least a little while, not custom order.

That's cool. Wasn't thinking along the lines of "custom". Just figured it was 1970s manufacture. Neat to think it might be even older. :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick-up !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!