Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Toned? Blast white? Sometimes it's hard to know what I like...

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last two big purchases happened to be for my two favorite collections. Oddly enough, I had perfectly nice examples of each, yet found the need to drop significant (for me) money on duplicates that were the opposite on the toning spectrums of what I had already.

It boiled down to 'would I miss that coin if I passed on it even though it's not logical'? Both times I recognized the feeling well... so purchases were made. Once I passed on a gorgeous Persian rug at a military on base 'bazaar' and spent six months regretting it on a daily basis. The next time the 'bazaar' came back, yep I bought it. Forgot to tell my husband about it for about another 6 months...looked great in my office. It taught me to respect the gut though.

However, in the last coin, it was the second duplicate coin in a week so I may or may not have pm'd a couple of people/enablers :D

So, I had a very lovely toned one of these:

So naturally I bought this one two (technically an upgrade at least I suppose)

Part two--a person I have 'met' online has let me have first crack at a couple of coins he is pruning, much to the detriment of my bank account. This happens to be a slightly unusual variant of the more common type I 1 yen of 1870. Namely 'no border'. NGC doesn't designate this, but PCGS does.

My original (also the 'no border' and I have had for a few years now...fun die cracks and just the TINIEST hint of toning on the obverse)

and now this one--the luster is not showing well, it truly glistens under that darker toning on the obverse, but the colors are all there.

I've see ugly toned 1 yens and rarely pretty toned ones, but nothing like this on anything other than some of the phoenix 50 sens.

Same numerical grade in the PCGS slab as the NGC one, but miles apart in look. Toning is much less appreciated by the Japanese collectors as far as I know, so I'll likely be buried in this one. Shoot maybe I should be buried WITH this one.

So, it's hard to say, do I like them toned or not?

Thanks to the couple of enablers who reinforced my desire to have this one. I would have thought about it sadly if I had sent it back. It was only money...and every time I stare at it I like it better.

Comments

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice eye appeal on the bottom toned 1 yen, if you get buried in it someday I'm sure someone would dig you out!

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coins. I understand why you try not to have duplicates, but think these were good buys!

My current "Box of 20"

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like toned and white coins, both can look awesome!

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

To my mind, nothing wrong at all only with owning duplicates - one sweet toner and one white - of issues that you really, really like. I have done that myself.

Jeff

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

I really like the look of the dragon on the toned yen. The contrast adds depth to the piece. Nice coin!

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

cant go wrong with duplicates, thats what I do haha

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

All of those are lovely coins! You did well!

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

@mkman123 said:
    cant go wrong with duplicates, thats what I do haha

Actually there's a lot of truth in that statement. Duplicates in such high grades come extremely handy when the time comes for a trade or part trade, part purchase.

I guess that most of us have been in similar situations. Generally, I'm trying to get at least a different date in the toned and the untoned version, but then again, the set I'm working on, contains several two,three,four year type coins, where it's possible to use this tactic.

Funny that the toned Albanian is a lower grade, I like it much more from the pictures. I once had a 1850 Swiss 2 francs, PCGS MS66 blast white and nearly flawless. And yet, after a year or two, the opportunity to buy a very nicely toned example of the same date and denomination presented itself, and I've mistakenly sold the blast white example to "cut my losses". Clearly, it was a mistake, and not only because the nicely toned example graded MS65. I should have kept both of them, by saving the money I got for the white example by stopping impulse purchases for instance for a while, but at least I've learned my lesson. I'm passing it on to you for free, although I sincerely doubt that you need it.

Superb images Cathy, you have become an expert in photoshop, picassa or whatever software you're using after you shoot, from what I see. Which makes you the Darkside champion among the older members here in 3 categories:

• Fastest learner and fastest improvement of your collection - looking back at OFEC etc... ;) -
    • Fastest climbing among the top 5 photographers of this forum
    • Fastest learner of photographic software judging by the results.

You once said, "quality coin photography is now accessible to the masses" or something of the sort, referring mostly to the increasing abilities of the smartphones. And yet, I've learned nothing at all, because I didn't feel like, so maybe we have more good photographers today than 15 years ago, but the masses?... Definitely no. Ask MrEureka if you don't believe me. :D

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimitri,
    You are far too kind! The top photo (toned Albanian) was done by Todd at BluCC, though I did circle crop and change the background. I'm only using an online editor that is super simplified (PicMonkey for anyone who cares). I have found trying to photo the coins enhances my appreciation.

We all have coins we sell and miss I suspect. Which is why I'm really not too sad about keeping the 'duplicates'. I was finding it ironic though that I bought the opposites in the same week, and not my least expensive or least difficult finds to say the least. The one yen in particular being the type I/'no border'...I couldn't even get a different variety!!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might look at this from a slightly different perspective...And your images illustrate and make the point better than words. These may be the same date, but are they really duplicates when their appearances are so different? I would suggest that each coin pictured here should be judged on the merits. The contrast is striking and pleasing so it really begs the question whether they are dups. I would keep them and be thrilled to own coins that are both truly perfected with the look being minted yesterday and with others that have aged better than that of a fine bottle of wine.

Terrific coins.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • As I'm an identical twin (the younger one) I have nothing against duplicates. I just love putting 2, 3 or 10 coins that are supposedly the same side by side and appreciate the nuances in toning, strike, die flaws and early/late die state coins. I am a sucker for toning though.