Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

'65 Complete!

After a few years of chasing some tough cards, finally finished '65 Topps Baseball with the addition of #250 Willie Mays. A great card, and tremendous set. #15 current finest at 8.25.....phew!

Comments

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Congrats

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome; 65T is a beautiful set and quite competitive so that is quite an accomplishment.

Congratulations!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Congrats

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

congrats
    love that set

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

How long did it take you from start to finish to complete this set ??? Terrific set and
    nice GPA ....................Noticed you have not added the card yet and the set is hidden !
    Would love to see scans if you have any ??? I know Willie was your last card ............but what
    cards are truly the toughest to find in Psa 8 ???? Congrats on completing this monster !
    Robbie :p

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    RAPTORSRULE04RAPTORSRULE04 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

Great achievement.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on completing the set. It's a beauty. I'm currently at #13 and need the Butters, Cepeda and Horton to complete it. I have the three I need at PSA that should finish it off. Do you plan to continue to upgrade or stay put now that it's complete? I'll only upgrade if I find cheap, high pop 9s or 9s I get from my own submissions.

• Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭

Gem MT - My take for the future is exactly the same as yours. Will upgrade to some 9's if can be had reasonably priced.

My focus for 60's baseball is basically the same for 4 sets - '64, '65, '66 and '67. Growing up, those four years are so memorable to me. Love all four sets. Topps was just outstanding then.

RE '65 - I see you are at #11, I am now #13. Once you get #246 Butters, looks like you are 100%. Good luck.

For me, the toughest cards in 8> were #4 NL HR Ldr, 22 C Smith (big $) very low pop common, 383 F Alou pretty tuff and hi $$, 488 Wills tuff common, plus two hi #'s tuff for me #594 Gaines and #597 Twins Rooks.

My favorite card is #367 Leon Wagner. Loved Big Daddy Wags as a kid when he was a Halo, but that shot of him on the '65 Tribe card is one of the best images Topps has ever produced IMO.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done!! Congrats on completing a beautiful set.

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

WOW! Great set! Loved the '65, we called it flag year growing up. I only did the '63 set in PSA. Kinda of a racket. Leon Wagner another Giant that was let go too early. If the Giants had just valued their players more they could have won every N.L. title in the sixties and seventies. Awesome job!

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Congrats! Just curious as to how long it took you from start to finish. Did you have some productive years where you knocked out a few hundred cards and/or some slow years where those low-pops just did not show up anywhere for purchase? Again, great work!

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. 65 is my favorite set.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭

Waxman. I had an ungraded set, mostly EX to NM that I started with. Also, many other raw duplicates. They mostly produced 6's and 7's that were sold with funds going to NM-MT or higher graded cards. I think start to finish was about 4 years. I do recall purchasing a lot of 40 Mint 9's from a Huggins & Scott or a Goodwin auction that kicked the GPA up a few notches. Sometimes you can get value in those high grade lot buys. I want to say they were all commons that averaged a little less than $25 ea., but there were a few that were very low pop like the Charlie Lau card. That was a real steal in the lot based on what I paid per card.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Thank you for letting me know your experience. Great achievement! Gives me hope of one day finishing my 1971 Topps set.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball