Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

T Minus 8 hours and counting.....well crap

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2018 6:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'll be dropping a nuclear bid this evening for everything I have in paypal ($450) for a $100 dollar coin at best.

I just found an auction for one of the last coins I need in a set. I see maybe one of these a year if I'm lucky.
Price is irrelevant.

I'm kinda excited about it, I hope $450 is enough and there's no other crazy people watching.

Comments

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it only shows up once a year and you're worried your $450 won't be enough then I think it's safe to say it's not a $100 coin.

Good luck!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

May the force be with you

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Maybe True. I'd say it's a small market. Most wouldn't give it a second look, but if the right person sees it, who knows. And there's also just the fact that every time I really want something, record prices are set. :p

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should give us the auction details so we don't inadvertently bid against you. ;)

Good luck.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

B)

I'm not even sure I want to divulge it after (IF) I get it. You all may laugh !

My problem now is to really consider how "Nukular" to go, without being too irresponsible.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck! And we all collect crazy stuff so no worries -- you GOTTA post a pic or the link if you win it!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

**And there's also just the fact that every time I really want something, record prices are set. :pensive: **
    You must collect the same items at BillJones :)

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be sure to let us know how it works out.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found one of those rare "double eye" Lincolns, huh? ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know how you feel. Been there. It really doesn't matter what it is, because you need it.

GOOD LUCK!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you win?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

The $450 Dollar question......Did you win your coin?

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Inquiring minds want to know...?

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

click tease

• Options
    edited April 30, 2018 6:54PM

Well I didnt win. It was a Mel Wacks Bicentaler with 80 bid at 10 seconds. I bid 333, slightly off my max due to some possible funny toning. Now ill have to wait for another.

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Take comfort in knowing you cost the high bidder an extra 230 dollars. :)

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2018 8:40PM

@DNADave said:
    Well I didnt win. It was a Mel Wacks Bicentaler

Yikes. I bought one of those some years ago and I paid no where near what this one went for.

One hint that may or may not help increase your chances of finding one. I think Mel's overstrikes were popular in Germany and were sold by a distributor or dealer there. Consequently some issues show up on German eBay reasonably often.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find them interesting, but I cant into another niche. I would like to pick up one of those counterstamped Peace dollars as he did for Carter/Sadat/Begin. But, they're pricey too.
    I saw a Turkey counterstamped Franklin with a postmarked envelope from the 70s and the Ebay seller wants $2k!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

One hint that may or may not help increase your chances of finding one. I think Mel's overstrikes were popular in Germany and were sold by a distributor or dealer there. Consequently some issues show up on German eBay reasonably often.

For German dealer listings you might also want to haunt ma-shops.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should have dropped the entire $450 on it.... You just cannot hold back on something you really want. Some of my nuclear bids on ebay were astronomical (and I am sure glad they were not needed)... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I think you should have dropped the entire $450 on it.... You just cannot hold back on something you really want. Some of my nuclear bids on ebay were astronomical (and I am sure glad they were not needed)... Cheers, RickO

Agree. the cost of labor and time to search for another coin alike may be a lot more than $122 per year.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, you missed by one bid, sorry to see that

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@ricko said:

Agree. the cost of labor and time to search for another coin alike may be a lot more than $122 per year.

I always look at it that way, too. Pay the money, get what you want. I can see being frugal on common stuff, but if an item is rare (and I'm not saying that the OP's item qualifies as rare, but...) sometimes you need to factor in the chances of encountering another in the near future.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

no interest in medals

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    no interest in medals

Then why even post?

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

Wimp! If you needed it. you should have shot the wad, man!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to buy a lot of stuff from German ebay. I just wrote up a shipping inquiry and translated it on one of those sites. Would send that off in an email and I don't think I was ever refused as a US bidder. Nice people !

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 4:27PM

@CuKevin said:

@coinpalice said:
    no interest in medals

Then why even post?

And what do medals have to do with this thread?

Interesting thread! Sorry you were outbid!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file