Home Q & A Forum
Options

1988-D Lincoln Cent shifted mint mark

Posted this in the wrong area so I'm moving it to Q&A. Looks odd but may be nothing. The D mint mark is shifted down and left from the normal location. Loop on the 9 may be slightly larger. Lettering on the OBV appears flat but not on Lincoln himself.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nothing in the CPG regarding this.... Have you got another 1988D to compare? Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hi ricko, I did a comparison and there is a difference but I don’t see any other examples like it. Maybe a few more days posted here will dig something up.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks down and to the left and leaning left. Is there a way to superimpose another 88d over top? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Here is a photo with a regular 1988-D (bottom) and the one thats shifted on top.

• Options

Vertically it is to the left. Any other features on either side suspicious?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Vertically it is to the left. Any other features on either side suspicious?

Definitely left and lower. Could that be a die chip above the second 8?
    I’ll try to post other photos this weekend. Hard to tell wear from differences.

• Options

Yes I see the dot.

• Options

I just found an excellent mint mark reference site called Wexlers mint errors. The explanation is there. Peace Roy