Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CSNS show report.

goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I left home on Wednesday at dark ++ for Schaumburg. I pushed hard only stopping for a steak biscuit at Hardee's, gas and a rest stop. Unknown to me, my wife had packed a lunch in my cooler. That was real nice and helped getting me to the Chicago area earlier than I thought. I arrived in the area just in time for rush hour. I finally got to the convention center at 4 PM. The blonde crew ( all of the gals are blonde ) quickly got me a badge and I entered the bourse floor.

I thanked Julian Leidman for giving me a heads up about an auction, back in October ,where I won two National Bank Notes that I needed. Said hello to Dave Wnuck and Grant Campbell. I stopped at David Kahn's table where he showed me a 1798 Large Cent. It was real nice and I thought about it for a little. I finally decided that I was too tired to make a decision. I decided to call it a day and headed to the hotel.

Thursday morning I had breakfast at the hotel and then went to the show. My first stop was on the second floor at the Heritage auction lot viewing room. I looked at a few U.S. coins and National Bank Notes. The Heritage crew got me out quickly. I next went down to the bourse floor. I dropped off a box of 20 for Messydesk to image. After that I decided to go to the back of the room and start there. There were a number of tables that had not been rented and some that had been rented but the dealer had not shown up. There was no traffic back there and it was very quiet. One dealer said that he had a very good show two years ago, a marginal show last year and nothing this year. He said that he would not be back next year. He is located only about an hour away from the convention center !

I worked my way to the center of the room where the traffic picked up. I was looking for a Flowing Hair Dollar in 35 or so. I saw one in PCGS 40 but I did not want to spend that much money. I finally saw a piece in an old ANACS holder in 35. The dealer thought that it would cross but I think that a 30 would be a more likely outcome. I decided to pass.

I sold a few coins that I had brought with me. I looked at the 1798 Large Cent again. The coin was fine and so was the price. I decided that I did not really need it.

I went to the back of the room to look at the exhibits. There was an exhibit of Kennedy Half Dollar errors. It had a Kennedy struck on a cent planchet, one on a nickel planchet, one on a dime planchet, one on a quarter planchet and one on an Anthony dollar planchet among other errors. I thought that exhibit was very cool. There was also an exhibit of National Bank Notes from Michigan that was nice. It was now late afternoon and I decided to call it a day.

I went out for dinner at the Rose Garden Cafe. It is a Greek restaurant that has been a local favorite for over 40 years. I had the Char-grilled pork chops , mashed potatoes and gravy, basket of assorted fresh baked bread and the chicken noodle soup. They serve you three large chops that are 3/4 " thick for $13.25 ! I took two of the chops and two pieces of bread back to the hotel.

Friday morning I heated one of the chops and a piece of bread for breakfast. Back at the show I picked up my box of 20 from Messydesk. I had a short chat with Dimeman. I purchased a nice coin for my set. I made a deal for another coin contingent on it upgrading on reconsideration and getting a CAC sticker. The dealer and I both think it is a lock. We will see.

For dinner I went back to the Rose Garden Cafe. I had the fish ( cod ) fry with fries and chicken noodle soup for $11.95. It was very good.

Saturday morning I heated the other chop and a piece of bread for breakfast. I got on the road for home at 8:20. I pushed hard again. I stopped for a late lunch at a favorite Chinese Buffet. They have a cherry-pineapple crumb cobbler topped with soft serve vanilla ice cream. It is soooooooooo good. I finally arrived home shortly before dark.

A few thoughts about the show. I really like the CSNS show at the Schaumburg location. It is a very nice hotel and convention center with plenty of free parking. I look forward to the show each year. The show did not open to the public ,on Wednesday, until 3 PM with one way traffic at 5:30 and the show closing at 6PM ! All of the dealers, that I talked to, said that was a very bad idea. I have been to over 200 shows.Opening at 3 PM is just plain stupid.

I met with old friends and had a great time I hope to be back next year.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Seems to fit with the other reports so far.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. I love reading reports of shows that I would like to attend.

Tom

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. I'll have to try out Rose Garden Cafe sometime. It's a bit east of my usual out-to-dinner zone, but not far. Good to see you at the show.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard that there was an $8 admission charge that killed the show completely for any dealer staying on Saturday. Can anyone confirm this?

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, thanks for posting.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey Golden, I think you are a wise man with discriminating taste which helped you at the show. there's no sense in buying a coin you aren't completely sure of so your passes were smart. it also occurred to me that as collectors, we also really like to eat. I haven't been to a really good, well attended, PCGS forum approved coin show in more than 10 years. I can tell you this much --- right on the heels of being able to look at coins I can't afford and buying ones I can is meeting members and EATING where I haven't been before.

there have been memorable "Forum Feasts" in my time here. we need to have more. :)

• Options

I went one for two in the Heritage internet auction today.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

So, we know all about the steak biscuit, chops, fish, and cobbler, but have no idea what your wife fixed you for lunch.
    WTH???

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

The show's admission fee was $5 each day. I was there Thursday and Friday. As usual prices exceeded my willing to pay. I shopped around a few coins for a friend. The offers were completely unacceptable.

Rose Garden is 2 blocks from my house. We dine there at least once a month. Best thing on the menu is the chopped steak IMO.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

@au58 said:
    So, we know all about the steak biscuit, chops, fish, and cobbler, but have no idea what your wife fixed you for lunch.
    WTH???

It was a ham and cheese sandwich and a bag of red grapes.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

@au58 said:
    WTH???

It was a ham and cheese sandwich and a bag of red grapes.

Now that's a good women.......she's a keeper! ;)

I enjoyed talking with you. I believe it was at Jim Sego's table where John (messydesk) was taking pics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file