Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any experience buying from Italy?

I recently won a coin from Italy and the auction house requires my place and date of birth and also some form of ID-- driver's license or passport. On top of that they say coins older than 70 years need export permit and would take around 12 weeks! This is supposed to be some Italian AMlaw. The coin in question is not even Italian or European. Please let me know if anyone has experienced similar conditions for buying from Italy.

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koincollect said:
    I recently won a coin from Italy and the auction house requires my place and date of birth and also some form of ID-- driver's license or passport. On top of that they say coins older than 70 years need export permit and would take around 12 weeks! This is supposed to be some Italian AMlaw. The coin in question is not even Italian or European. Please let me know if anyone has experienced similar conditions for buying from Italy.

I have no personal experience, but have heard the same (or similar) stories of difficult bureaucracy and export restrictions on antiques. If the auction house is reputable, then they should be able to do most of the stuff for you and you just need to be patient. Very patient.

Good luck, and congrats on your auction win.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Yes, I have. In fact, I just received a group of medals a week ago from an auction that took place on December 11, and received a book this past Friday from an auction that took place on December 15.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Any information regarding foreign purchases is greatly appreciated !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

Thanks very much. The auction house seems legitimate then. Thanks a lot for that information, very appreciated . I guess I should only bid on special coins if at all.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very much par for the course. Expect at least a month and a half more like 3 months for the export permit to be secured.

I have bought from Italian firms on several occasions and it can be a frustrating experience but all is good in the end after a wait.

• Options
    angelo43angelo43 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

I buy Italian coins all the time from Italy. The requests are normal. Expect to pay for the export license. The firm will procure it for you, usually.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not uncommon even for significant British coin purchases - incredibly even a very insignificant priced one I purchased one time required an export permit since it was a 17th century Irish token dug up by a detectorist in rural Shropshire a few years ago. It was worth the wait though, and I have a provenance on a coin that sat in the ground for 350+ years. Similarly some rather pricey Scots have required paperwork.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2018 8:20PM

@rwyarmch said:
    I purchased a medal directly from Moruzzi Numismatica on July 8th. It was shipped on July 12th and arrived within a few weeks.

Very nice coin. I wonder what grade would be if you send it in to grade?