Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Roosie OBR Rolls - What To Do?

Like many, as a young person in the sixties I collected 20th century silver & Buffs. For the past 20 years I have been a gold guy, until I sold my 6 figure collection a few years ago. I am left with a few odds and ends remaining. One of the coolest is (4) "MS65 BU" bank wrapped rolls of 1950's Roosies. I bought them in the late 70's from Bowers & Ruddy Galleries (got them directly in their LA showroom), still have the Bowers "MS65 BU" labels on them. Since then, they have been in storage.

I knew scarcer dates (no FB terminology back then). Seems like I have some rolls with individual coin "potential" (FB, higher grade, varieties), yet they're cool in roll form. At the FB level, Coin Facts shows I have some of the rarer issues (55-P #1 of 48; 53-S #5 of 48; 54-S #7 TIE of 48, 54-P #23). I have no Roosie knowledge like some here do!

I can see end coins, other than that I've never opened the rolls ... they have just sat around for 40 years. I'm going to sell these in the next month, but I am interested in ideas, particularly from Roosie people. What would you do / how would you do it?

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waste of time to break them out and get graded......Small premium over melt on those rolls. Grading cost eats up any profit and graded might only be $10-15 once done. Sell and move on. Leave as is and maybe you will get two bidders that really want them on ebay.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 1:28PM

Hard one but I would look at them. See what you have before you sell you never know just pull the nicest ones then look them over again, then send them in.

You may find some winners that will pay for the whole roll if you would have sold it off but you will never know. You can always sell off the rest for UNC coins or silver and make that money back.
    Now if it was me I would pick out a 100 of the best one's send them in to bulk and ask for a min MS66FB so you will only pay for the ones that graded and you get to keep the best ones or sell them off.

You never know I always like buying rolls just for that resin you never know what's in them.

Type "B" would never known if I never looked.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a small premium for the original rolls so for common dates you should be able to get between $80 and $100. I had about 50 1963 rolls and I sold them for between $70 and $150. Silver was about $16-$18/oz at the time. If you are very good at grading and can distinguish FB and a 66 or better it is worth it to open them and hope you have some high grade examples (and even better if some are nicely toned). A single 67 or 66FB and you are free rolling on the rest.
    You don’t have enough coins to make the bulk route viable unless half of your coins have a good shot at 66.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

PM sent . . .

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am confused- isn't OBR original bank roll? Wouldn't they all be same year/mm ? How would they know the coins are MS65? or are these 200 cherrypicked gems placed into 4 rolls?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are two very different courses that you could take....ebay (or BST) the rolls or search and cherry pick. If you have the time, the search may be worth the effort. Quick sale route is not as much fun, but a lot less work. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Thanks all for your inputs. I have (4) rolls that look like Type2's first pic, each roll is the same year/mm. End coins are very lustrous (toned now, some attractively). I don't know why Bowers & Ruddy labelled them MS65 BU, I always thought it was because they are original and have not been dipped. You can't beat undipped luster. I think my years are better date. I'll answer PMs and perhaps some Roosie guys will weigh in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file