Home Sports Talk

What was your lowest day as a sports fan.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was mine...hands down.

DETROIT — Ernie Harwell, who has broadcast Detroit Tigers baseball for 31 seasons, said today he has been fired.

Harwell said Tigers President Bo Schembechler and other team executives told him at a meeting in October his contract would be allowed to expire after the 1991 season.

"The radio station, WJR, and the Tiger baseball club have decided that 1991 will be the last year that I will broadcast play-by-play for the Detroit Tigers," Harwell said at a news conference.

Harwell, 72, said he is healthy and wants to broadcast baseball after 1991.

Paul Carey, Harwell's broadcasting partner since 1973, said he also will leave the Tigers broadcasts after 1991. Carey, who attended the news conference, said he decided three weeks ago to make 1991 his last season and only learned of Harwell's fate today.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The press conference began as an event for Harwell to announce his retirement. Not long into it Ernie was asked if it was his choice to depart. Saying that he could not lie to the reporters he had spend a career with, he acknowledged that he had been fired. All hell broke lose after that.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

1994 Baseball strike. The age of innocence day of reckoning. Baseball was never the same for me after that.

Also the day I realized that Big Time Wrestling might of been staged. Crushed

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

The day Harry Agganis died.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 3:50AM

The day the Chargers left San Diego.

The day the Padres lost the 1984 World Series.

The day Tony Gwynn died.

Steve

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buddy Ryan getting fired as the Eagles head coach in 1991 after losing in the first playoff round in three consecutive years. The Eagles owner at the time, hated Buddy Ryan's personality, but used the playoff losses as an excuse to fire him...however every Eagles fan knew the real reason.

Ryan was one of the finest defensive football coaches of all time and arguably the greatest when it came to evaluating defensive football talent. There is no doubt with most Eagles fans that if the vain Norman Braman wouldn't have fired him, that Buddy would have brought a Super Bowl to Philadelphia.

Well, at least we finally got it done in 2018.

RIP Buddy Ryan

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

May 1999 when Dan Snyder bought the Washington Redskins. By far, the worst owner in all professional sports. Meddling, incompetent, egotistical, bumbling fool, single-handedly destroyed the Franchise.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

the day J.R. Richard suffered a stroke

the day Walter Payton died

the day Seve Ballesteros died

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

you know what , I'm going to go with the day Dale Earnhardt died . Mainly because I was watching and saw the wreck and just got this cold feeling in the pit of my stomach.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 6:35AM

EASY......They playoff game between the Cowboys and 49er's. With the Cowboys leading late in the game and on 3rd down the Cowboys D-line were on a jail break chasing Montana for his life and he tried to throw the ball away to avoid the sack only he couldn't get enough on it and Clark jumped up high and made "The Catch"!!!! In an interview he was asked if the throw was indeed for Clark....and with "tongue in cheek".....he said "sure" Yea......RIGHT JOE!!! :s

I actually threw up!

Second would be Jones firing Landry. :s

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Arthur Ashe's untimely death.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

@Justacommeman said:
    1994 Baseball strike. The age of innocence day of reckoning. Baseball was never the same for me after that.

m

The outrage was intense when Ernie was canned. Certainly owner Tom Monahan would seize the opportunity and reverse the decision. He didn't.

Bubble was burst. It was no longer my team or our team. it was his team.

Hell with them all.

edited April 29, 2018 8:48AM

What do you mean Big Time Wrestling was staged?

:#

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Musial,Ali, Clemente passing. Along with Earnhardt Sr. only because my girlfriend was so upset about it, she being such a huge fan. Going back some years I remember being down by the 1968 Cardinals losing the World Series.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red Sox 1986 Workd Series loss, 2003 ALCS loss, Patriots 2007 Super Bowl loss

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Midnight Massacre. I'm still not over it and hate M. Donald Grant and Dick Young to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whn5-X3LRfY&t=2s

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@Coinstartled said:

My grandpa and my Uncle Auggie used to take me and my brother down to the the Olympia to watch the big programs. I remembered we were 8 and 4 years old. The arena was so cigar smoke filled that you could barely see the ring. The elders would get so lit that my brother and I always had to find where we parked the car after in DT Detroit. After we always went to Lafayette Coney Island after the event. That was our jam. How we made it out alive I have no idea. My brother and I would always get an extra program and reenact the matches after. Our bouts were more violent as we weren’t faking or holding anything back. We didn’t know any better

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't let sports bother me anymore. I was very angry when Harmon Killebrew was released by the Twins.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Game 7 loss 1991 World Series.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

I generally don't get too high or too low. People retire, people die, teams lose, etc....

Maybe it's the age, probably about college, that I realized it is all just a business. Sort of like "they don't care about me but only themselves and their bottom line... $."

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

My grandpa and my Uncle Auggie used to take me and my brother down to the the Olympia to watch the big programs. I remembered we were 8 and 4 years old. The arena was so cigar smoke filled that you could barely see the ring. The elders would get so lit that my brother and I always had to find where we parked the car after in DT Detroit. After we always went to Lafayette Coney Island after the event. That was our jam. How we made it out alive I have no idea. My brother and I would always get an extra program and reenact the matches after. Our bouts were more violent as we weren’t faking or holding anything back. We didn’t know any better

mark

You were way ahead of me. I went to Cobo a couple times in 1970 or so. Was there the night The Sheik took out Lord Layton.

They put on a show.

edited April 29, 2018 5:38PM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

mark

You were way ahead of me. I went to Cobo a couple times in 1970 or so. Was there the night The Sheik took out Lord Layton.

They put on a show.

Tex Mackenzie vs The Sheik and The Kanagroo’s vs Ben Justice and The Stomper were off the charts. My grandpa loved the midget tag team events. I’m not sure what that says about him

In the Sheik fight Tex pummled him with his boot but somehow Eddie Kreichman ( Sheiks corner) broke into the cage and hit him over the head with a folding chair. When we reenacted that fight my sister played the part of Eddie Kreichman and neither my brother or I wanted to be Tex Mackenzie

m

A bit of trivia which I didn't know until 30 minutes ago. The Sheik, with a partner, owned the Big Time Wrestling operation from 1964 to 1980.

No wonder he was always winning...

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Brewers losing the 1982 WS to the Cards. I was only 11, but you tend to take things very hard at that age.

A close 2nd - The Packers losing the Super Bowl vs the Broncos as a 12 or more point favorite.

Jeff

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

mark

They put on a show.

Tex Mackenzie vs The Sheik and The Kanagroo’s vs Ben Justice and The Stomper were off the charts. My grandpa loved the midget tag team events. I’m not sure what that says about him

In the Sheik fight Tex pummled him with his boot but somehow Eddie Kreichman ( Sheiks corner) broke into the cage and hit him over the head with a folding chair. When we reenacted that fight my sister played the part of Eddie Kreichman and neither my brother or I wanted to be Tex Mackenzie

m

Hey, in Sprinfield, IL were I use to work until retirement.......one of the bars had "Midget Toss" night. Yep they put on a harness and guys use to see who could throw them the farthest. :o Serious....I couldn't believe it!

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

I don't think I watched another BB game after that until the 2001 Dbacks run.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably 2000 SuperBowl. I was hosting a party and I'm Giants fan. I took a shot for every score change by the Ravens, my buddies a shot for the Giants score changes. Not. Good.

Woke up the next day face down on the floor of my room.

How's that for a low point? ;)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@LarkinCollector said:

@Justacommeman said:

Don't believe that I have watched 25 innings in 25 years.

Followed the last couple of series a bit. Good baseball but 4-5 hour games, geez.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@Justacommeman said:

Don't believe that I have watched 25 innings in 25 years.

Followed the last couple of series a bit. Good baseball but 4-5 hour games, geez.

Outside of attending spring training games, I probably haven't watched that many innings since 2001 either.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

mark

They put on a show.

m

Hey, in Sprinfield, IL were I use to work until retirement.......one of the bars had "Midget Toss" night. Yep they put on a harness and guys use to see who could throw them the farthest. :o Serious....I couldn't believe it!

I read where the midgets are suing that bar for CTE.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

mark

They put on a show.

m

I read where the midgets are suing that bar for CTE.

It was only bad when they hit a tree or something like that! :oB)

My state had a cactus league tax on auto rentals. Great idea to pay the multi million dollar players to come to the sunny desert in February to get in shape. I believe that a court finally bounced the tax.

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Vancouver Canucks Game 7 Stanley Cup Final, Riot 1 1994 and Vancouver Riot #2 repeat 2011 Game 7 Stanley Cup Final

Abhorrent, disgusting behavior from my city, unforgivable. I was in the middle of the crowd watching the big screen on the streets when the riot erupted, I still remember the heat of the first car that went up in flames I was standing at least 40 feet away and it felt like an oven. There was a cowardly person with a seal skin drum revving up the crowd, people lost all common sense and mob mentality took over quickly. I met PJ Stock and Kelly Hrudey in the mess, I shook their hands ( nice guys, fairly short in person) and asked what they were doing out right now, they said they were walking the streets from the arena to their hotel because all the roads were blocked. About 4 idiots came up to them and started waving and yelling to the crowd and pointing a finger down on PJ Yelling "CBC! CBC!" as if to alert the crowd these guys were famous. I Slapped his hand down and said are you stupid? you wanna get these guys killed? Him and his buddies followed me a couple blocks yelling "HEY HEY! HEY WHITE BOY! HEY!" finally I had enough I turned around and Yelled at them with my fists clenched " WHAT!>?" all 4 of them stopped in their tracks and shut up. Bunch of cowards. For the record I was never a big fan of PJ or Kelly because of their complete disdain towards the Canucks, but that is standard issue I guess, didn't mind them after that day, couple tough guys i guess haha.

all around collector of many fine things

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2018 5:06PM

June 13, 1997, six days after hoisting the Stanley Cup (my best day as a sports fan):

Tabe that was a cruel day

m

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

1998 NFC Championship and 2009 NFC Championship.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wednesday, October 22, 1975. I was ten years old and baseball mattered to me a whole lot. Took another 29 years to ease that loss.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey Barndog, October 22, 1975 was the day I reported to Naval Boot Camp in Orlando, Florida.

my worst sports day would be the morning my Dad woke me and told me the Browns had traded Paul Warfield to the Miami Dolphins. they used the Draft Pick to draft Mike Phipps. it might be one of the worst trades in NFL history and could be traced to their continuing inability to draft a QB to this very day.

@Barndog said:
    Wednesday, October 22, 1975. I was ten years old and baseball mattered to me a whole lot. Took another 29 years to ease that loss.

Was that when my favorite team the Reds won the 7th game of the WS?

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

that was the day the Red Sox LOST the seventh game of the World Series.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:
    1998 NFC Championship and 2009 NFC Championship.

Throw in a few more NFC Championship games and four Super bowls!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it was August 2, 1979.

Daniel
  • coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:

"Murcer fell behind in the ninth on an 0-2 count to Tippy Martinez. Bucky Dent was on third base and Willie Randolph on second. Murcer slashed a two-run single to left.

“They won this game for the captain,” Cosell said, barely letting fans take in the finish before he soliloquized lengthily. “Emotion won the game.”

Murcer said he never used the bat again. He gave it to Diana Munson."

Incredible tribute game, Murcer did what few have in sports and properly honored his friend and captain.
    Beautiful.

all around collector of many fine things

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2018 11:40AM

@coinpro76 said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:

"Murcer fell behind in the ninth on an 0-2 count to Tippy Martinez. Bucky Dent was on third base and Willie Randolph on second. Murcer slashed a two-run single to left.

“They won this game for the captain,” Cosell said, barely letting fans take in the finish before he soliloquized lengthily. “Emotion won the game.”

Murcer said he never used the bat again. He gave it to Diana Munson."

Incredible tribute game, Murcer did what few have in sports and properly honored his friend and captain.
    Beautiful.

I still have the NY Daily News back page from that game with the headline "Murcer Gave Us A Night". Another big regret I have is not going to that game.

Daniel
  • silvorsilvor Posts: 12

@Justacommeman said:

m

David Arquette winning the WCW title for me. I know wrestling was very exposed at that point, but geez...

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michael Moorer vs. George Foreman, I was at the fight and no way Michael Moorer won that fight. Bad decision.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last night - Caps defeated the Pens.

OK, maybe not the lowest ever, but...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

When my fellow countryman Gilles Villeneuve crashed and died during a G.P. weekend in Belgium.