Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a coin you don't think has been seen publicly for a long, long time (commem included)

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug

Comments

• Options

Cool! Lots of neat coins in the shadows out there

Doug
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife has a 1925D quarter eagle that she inherited from her father. Her father was given this coin in 1925 by his aunt when he was 6 years old. It has never been seen publicly.

I have an 1882 S Morgan (likely an MS64 or maybe 65) that my parents obtained from a bank in the early 1960's when they opened a bank account. The Morgan was given out by the bank as a gift to new customers who opened an account. My parents gave that Morgan to me as a YN. It has never been seen publicly.

I have no doubt that there are vast numbers of coins that are stunning that have never been seen publicly..........................................., yet (part of the fun of this hobby is to keep one's eyes and ears open for "fresh" coins that surface).

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are for the Registry lowballers. I pulled these from circulation in the early 1960's. Not pretty but haven't been seen publicly for at least 55 years.

1913-S T2 AG04

1926-S G03

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    This guy hasn't seen the light of day since the '90s - just regraded it at PCGS, and it's still the finest known there...

Holy crap!

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd spin the tale of the coin that had been sitting in my Mother's jewelry box since the late 50's.....but it's an XF 1921 Morgan, and nobody cares. :)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got my grandfather's hoard, all pulled from circulation in the 1940s when he owned a corner store. Been in the family every since. Never been traded publicly except to buy groceries. LOL.

• Options

I guess the implication was that it was a coin that has been look for or know of. However, those are some really cool coins!!! I certainly learned some new things!

Doug
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some German silver coins that my Dad had... Big one's, commemorating the birth of twin boys... not sure where they are now... Yes, darkside, but impressive big silver. I will see if I can find them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK... found one... I know there is another somewhere... This has not seen the light of day for about 45 years...and about 25 years before that.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this one from GA Stamp & Coin in July of 1981 and squirreled it away in a SDB until late 1986 or early 1987 when I sent it to ANACS for authentication and a grading opinion. Back in the SDB until March of 2014 when I submitted it to PCGS at the ANA mid-winter show in Atlanta. So..... out of the "public eye" for the last 37 years.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one I bought recently that graded 65.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file